Page 38 of 366 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: *** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Big Leaguer
    Another aspect of machine learning is a "genetic algorithm", where you basically have a strategy with a bunch of possible choices in it, you try one, and if it did well (according to whatever way you decide to score) it gets a little more likely to get reused in the future. And then you add some random mutations each time through to jumpstart new development. Here's a five-minute video that talks about a system that learned to play Super Mario pretty quickly with no understanding of how the game works beyond "the idea is to get to the right side of the screen":

Last edited by mjl; 01-12-2019 at 02:20 AM.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Holy shit. That is really fascinating.
    It truly is but unfortunately with my 62 year old brain all I get is :
    Brain: Damn you are really fucked at this.
    Me: hey I finished 3rd once.
    Brain:. What everyone fall a sleep at the wheel or was it a mercy game .
    Me : I have SOME skills.
    Brain: Being a Designer for women cloths for the Amish is not much a skill.
    Me : I recruited Ken who might help get a App/ website going for this so we have more of these before I die.
    Brain: You recruited someone else who will kick your Ass. Next time think Wayne’s world dumbass.
    Me: I am fucked!

I might have accidentally deleted someone's post on mobile. Sorry. I'll fix later if so.

I won't be picking super fast, just in case anyone is thinking they need to make a rushed pick. I need to put some work into the as today, and then think about my next two picks.

Work into the ss (spreadsheet) **

Quote Originally Posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Work into the ss (spreadsheet) **
    I can post my latest version, which should be up-to-date on stats, and just needs some VD13 fixes related to adding rounds 26-27, if that's helpful. I probably won't get to those fixes until later this afternoon (Central US Time), so if you have time, that would be helpful.
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

Updates to the spreadsheet posted in history/spreadsheet threads.
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

I have all day today. Shouldn't take me long to finish it based on the work youve already done!

The shift to OBP is making me balk a bit on my next picks. I just can't recall off hand the players who are positively and negatively affected by this.

Will pick soon. Mantle and Hornsby were definitely on my radar.

I was thinking of one of Mantle / Hornsby / Collins there, so I guess I just go with the last man standing.
    "I am opposed to 'right to work' legislation because it does nothing for working people, but instead gives employers the right to exploit labor." Eleanor Roosevelt