*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    We didn't have money to buy board games when I was younger, so after I played Risk at my cousin's house, I came home and made my own version. Traced a map of the world onto a big cardboard game board and use pennies, nickels, and dimes for armies. And when my brother got tired of it and didn't want to play any more, I would play against myself.
    Solid DIY setup.

I did not have a game board either, but I played at a friend's house and he did.

True story - we were playing one time and I had my troops setup strong in Asia and the pacific islands, and one my friends put on this crazy attack out of nowhere and he kept getting lucky dice rolls and just destroyed me in a couple turns purely from luck. Being an asshole at the time (well maybe not just at the time), I took a big breath and just blew all the pieces in that area down. Yeah my temper was bad. Ruined the game. But everyone burst out laughing because it was such a surprise move.

Rest of that school year they called me Hurricane Ken.

Comment

• Hillary Clinton said "super predators" once! Everything is the same as everything else and nuance doesn't exist.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

We didn't have money to buy board games when I was younger, so after I played Risk at my cousin's house, I came home and made my own version. Traced a map of the world onto a big cardboard game board and use pennies, nickels, and dimes for armies. And when my brother got tired of it and didn't want to play any more, I would play against myself.
        I grew up playing battleship on crudely drawn graph paper. Tracing the whole map is next level though. Did you know how to spell kamchatka?
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Solid DIY setup.

I did not have a game board either, but I played at a friend's house and he did.

True story - we were playing one time and I had my troops setup strong in Asia and the pacific islands, and one my friends put on this crazy attack out of nowhere and he kept getting lucky dice rolls and just destroyed me in a couple turns purely from luck. Being an asshole at the time (well maybe not just at the time), I took a big breath and just blew all the pieces in that area down. Yeah my temper was bad. Ruined the game. But everyone burst out laughing because it was such a surprise move.

Rest of that school year they called me Hurricane Ken.
          Was this before or after you invented salad dressing ?
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          ---------------------------------------------
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            Ken's Lite Hurricane Dressing
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              After climbing half of Rainier, but before the salad dressing (don't fact check me, I may be wrong).

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                I grew up playing battleship on crudely drawn graph paper. Tracing the whole map is next level though. Did you know how to spell kamchatka?
                I did!
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

After climbing half of Rainier, but before the salad dressing (don't fact check me, I may be wrong).
                  You run the risk of feeling awfully stupid if he fact checks you .

Comment

risk
                    Risk? I've heard that's a good game.

Comment

If you can afford it.

Comment

Don't make blowing like Hurricane Ken

Comment

• Risk is an awesome game but my brain isn't really built to excel at games like that. I played a bunch and rose to the level of mediocre after some time.

Have you guys ever played Axis and Allies? Amazing game, like Risk on steroids. Takes like two hours just to set the game up. My roommates and I used to play games that would last for weeks. We had a table off to the side of our kitchen dedicated for long Axis and Allies games.
                          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

You run the risk of feeling awfully stupid if he fact checks you .
                            Doubters mock believable lies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                              Risk is an awesome game but my brain isn't really built to excel at games like that. I played a bunch and rose to the level of mediocre after some time.

Have you guys ever played Axis and Allies? Amazing game, like Risk on steroids. Takes like two hours just to set the game up. My roommates and I used to play games that would last for weeks. We had a table off to the side of our kitchen dedicated for long Axis and Allies games.
                              My brother and I use to play a ton. My 9 year old niece is just getting into it. Looking forward to playing on weekends with the two of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                                Risk is an awesome game but my brain isn't really built to excel at games like that. I played a bunch and rose to the level of mediocre after some time.

Thanks for this note, now I'm realizing that my story was actually about Axis and Allies which we had moved on to after playing risk for a while. I'm getting too old to remember the details damnit.

And yes, it takes forever to setup which is why me ruining the game should have been a big deal. Thankfully I had good friends who laughed it off.

Comment

Working...
                                X