*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Felt like I was looking at that forever.
    Duration Mulling Bonds ? Lengthy
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
      that could be true, Mom worked in a Dairyette, Dad was a farmer/ and Hauled Milk . He was dipping into the “ice cream “
      Dad Married for Butter and Lactose ?
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Drafter micro Bonham late

Comment

• Game theory question - do you prefer seeing teams picking players who are in positions/decades you already picked (thereby increasing the relative demand for those positions/decades and allowing your needs to slide to later spots), or do you prefer seeing someone pick a player from a decade you need, but not the specific player you are targetting (which makes it more likely you get that one individual player later in the draft)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Game theory question - do you prefer seeing teams picking players who are in positions/decades you already picked (thereby increasing the relative demand for those positions/decades and allowing your needs to slide to later spots), or do you prefer seeing someone pick a player from a decade you need, but not the specific player you are targetting (which makes it more likely you get that one individual player later in the draft)
            They're both very satisfying. I'd say the latter is more anxiety-reducing.

Comment

Game theory question - do you prefer seeing teams picking players who are in positions/decades you already picked (thereby increasing the relative demand for those positions/decades and allowing your needs to slide to later spots), or do you prefer seeing someone pick a player from a decade you need, but not the specific player you are targetting (which makes it more likely you get that one individual player later in the draft)
              Interesting question. The former is much more frequent but as we progress the latter becomes much more valuable IMO.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I'd rather they take from a decade I've already picked. IF they pick from a decade you havent picked yet, even if it is not a guy you want they thin out the herd and make it more likely the guys you want will be taken.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Blech, feeling like dogshit. Let me drag my carcass over to my computer and input some picks.

It’s bullshit to feel this bad when you don’t even get hammered for the Super Bowl.
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                    Blech, feeling like dogshit. Let me drag my carcass over to my computer and input some picks.

It’s bullshit to feel this bad when you don’t even get hammered for the Super Bowl.
                    Get a hold of a bad Bag of Dicks?

Comment

• That was a very difficult decision. Time to go cry myself to sleep.
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                        That was a very difficult decision. Time to go cry myself to sleep.
                        Dry my blinking lids
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• The most interesting thing I've learned while working on this is how terrible the MVP voters used to be.

In 1950, Jim Konstanty won the NL MVP with 18 out of 24 first place votes. He was 16-7 with a 2.66 ERA in 152 innings. He would have had 22 saves if the save stat had been invented yet. But most importantly, he played for the team that won the pennant. Stan Musial came in second with two first place votes; he hit .346/.437/.596 and had 3 more bWAR.

In the other league, the MVP was Phil Rizzuto, who actually did come in second in bWAR in the league, behind a guy who went 13-18 with a 1.431 WHIP and more walks than strikeouts and who looks clearly worse than a couple other pitchers, so I dunno what's going on with that. In second place was Billy Goodman, who hit .354/.427/.455 and led the league in AVG while putting up 2.7 bWAR, 25th among all hitters.

There are actually a bunch of relievers who threw a lot of innings and did well in the MVP voting back then. Hoyt Wilhelm came in fourth in the NL in 1952 with a 15-3 record and 2.43 ERA in 159.3 innings; Warren Hacker was 15-9 with a 2.58 ERA (and twice as many bWAR) in 185 innings as a mostly-starter and finished 23rd, tied with Warren Spahn and others.

In 1955, the immortal Ray Narleski finished 6th, by a wide margin the best among pitchers. He was 9-1 with a 3.71 ERA (and 19 saves if they existed) in 111.2 innings. He even got a first place vote! Billy Pierce and his 15-10, 1.97 in 205.2 innings finished tied for 18th.
                          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• also, has anyone noticed a recent change where the alerts about PMs only go out on the hour? I used to get an email notification at the same time I was sent a PM, and now the emails come exactly on the hour.
                            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                              also, has anyone noticed a recent change where the alerts about PMs only go out on the hour? I used to get an email notification at the same time I was sent a PM, and now the emails come exactly on the hour.
                              I dont even get an email anymore. Better go.chexk my settings
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• The first couple I got after the change got spam filtered. I had to tell Gmail that emails from RJ weren't spam unless they had Johnny's name in them. Now it works again.

Comment

Working...
                                X