*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    This is a reasonable group in this forum, I think. How many of you believe the buzzer thing is real?
    Well we know for sure that they had a method of gathering the information.
    And we know that they were willing to use it.
    There are "whispers" of this buzzer thing.

There was the odd "cleats" buzzer note that popped up on reddit: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...h1gx9h61qapv6k

Then there's the Beltre's "neice". And Altuve not wanting his shirt pulled off. And Reddick's patch.

And Bauer saying that he's heard it other places.

I guess one way to ask the question is to turn it on its head and ask why wouldn't it be true. Under what scenario and under what motivation would all those come out and be so specifically similar. I guess they could be all feeding off each other, that's a possibility.

I'm inclined to guess that it's true. If they were willing to do the trashcan plan, I don't know why they wouldn't do the buzzer plan. But I have no proof of it personally. I'd say 60/40 on the side of it being real.
    Last edited by Ken; 01-17-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      Well we know for sure that they had a method of gathering the information.
      In 2017-18, yes, because that method of gathering the information (to quote from the commissioner, a "live game feed from the center field camera") was legal. How they used it was obviously not legal, but having the feed and installing a "monitor displaying the center field camera feed immediately outside of the Astros' dugout" was legal. In the 2018-19 offseason, the MLB rules were changed to make this camera setup illegal. MLB conducted physical audits of all stadium cameras that offseason and also multiple times during the season at each MLB stadium. They also employed monitoring personnel for every game and extra monitoring personnel during the playoffs. I don't know whether or not ways were found around that, but it wouldn't have been as simple as continuing to gather information on signs the way it had been done in 2017-18.
      Last edited by Kevin Seitzer; 01-17-2020, 11:24 AM.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Revo, scraping the bottom of the barrel with Ken and I!
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Mostly just me.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
            Revo, scraping the bottom of the barrel with Ken and I!
            I have very little standards!

Will Brinson is our defending champ. He's actually a really good guy. It's a good league. When I first joined it (found it here), I didn't know anyone and I thought it was run poorly, so I took over in Yr 2 and started to infuse some new blood. The RJ guys have been great additions and I'm sure you and Ken (if he joins) will be as well.

Comment

In 2017-18, yes, because that method of gathering the information (to quote from the commissioner, a "live game feed from the center field camera") was legal. How they used it was obviously not legal, but having the feed and installing a "monitor displaying the center field camera feed immediately outside of the Astros' dugout" was legal. In the 2018-19 offseason, the MLB rules were changed to make this camera setup illegal. MLB conducted physical audits of all stadium cameras that offseason and also multiple times during the season at each MLB stadium. They also employed monitoring personnel for every game and extra monitoring personnel during the playoffs. I don't know whether or not ways were found around that, but it wouldn't have been as simple as continuing to gather information on signs the way it had been done in 2017-18.
              Good points. And some information I was not aware of. Obviously you are our most informed individual. So I'm not arguing here as much as presenting ideas.

From an article in 2018:

CARLSBAD, Calif. — Sign stealing via electronic means will be among the first topics to be addressed today in the breakout sessions at the general managers’ meetings. Less than a week-and-a-half after the Red Sox won the World Series a couple hours north from here at Dodger Stadium, Major League Baseball is going to address an issue it has let fester….

Baseball needs to decide if it wants to both retroactively investigate what was allowed to happen in recent years — as technology and the search for competitive advantages helped bring the the game to this point -- or if it wants to only look forward.

Opening Pandora’s Box is an appropriate cliche.

What’s to stop a player from putting a wearable device in his wrist guard, or in his sliding shorts or back pocket? When he steps to the plate, someone else can alert him with a small vibration what’s coming. What’s preventing a video feed from a camera from going three buildings away to a secret office, and then someone alerting that wearable device? A security agent in a designated video room would not be the wiser.

Comment

Wait what ? He told me and Heye earlier that the spots were taken
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  Good points. And some information I was not aware of. Obviously you are our most informed individual. So I'm not arguing here as much as presenting ideas.

From an article in 2018:

CARLSBAD, Calif. — Sign stealing via electronic means will be among the first topics to be addressed today in the breakout sessions at the general managers’ meetings. Less than a week-and-a-half after the Red Sox won the World Series a couple hours north from here at Dodger Stadium, Major League Baseball is going to address an issue it has let fester….

Baseball needs to decide if it wants to both retroactively investigate what was allowed to happen in recent years — as technology and the search for competitive advantages helped bring the the game to this point -- or if it wants to only look forward.

Opening Pandora’s Box is an appropriate cliche.

What’s to stop a player from putting a wearable device in his wrist guard, or in his sliding shorts or back pocket? When he steps to the plate, someone else can alert him with a small vibration what’s coming. What’s preventing a video feed from a camera from going three buildings away to a secret office, and then someone alerting that wearable device? A security agent in a designated video room would not be the wiser.
                  I have obviously have to be careful what I say here since this is a public forum. I trust you VD regulars here but there are others on this forum that I don't trust as much.

This newest allegation is coming from a time frame where I have less personal knowledge of what might have happened. So I'm in some ways as curious as everyone else what the truth really is. But I also have some better idea of the constraints on the problem. Can you trigger a wearable device from a considerable distance away in a noisy RF environment? Are those kinds of wearable devices available for purchase?
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I have obviously have to be careful what I say here since this is a public forum. I trust you VD regulars here but there are others on this forum that I don't trust as much.

This newest allegation is coming from a time frame where I have less personal knowledge of what might have happened. So I'm in some ways as curious as everyone else what the truth really is. But I also have some better idea of the constraints on the problem. Can you trigger a wearable device from a considerable distance away in a noisy RF environment? Are those kinds of wearable devices available for purchase?
                    I had no idea that right right field was noisier than anywhere else in the stadium, besides I'd not heard that they were triggering these buzzers from there. I'm really confused right now.
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Not sure how good those teams will be, but I actually enjoy taking over a non competitive team and building it up.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Can you trigger a wearable device from a considerable distance away in a noisy RF environment?
                        RF noise can be countered by using bands that are atypical.

So a large stadium is going to be filled with devices trying to use 850/900/1,800/1,900 MHz. But other bands? May not be noisy.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        Are those kinds of wearable devices available for purchase?
                        You got me there, I do not know.

Comment

• This is the first card corner I have read on fangraphs. It was a nice read.

For better or worse, the fashion of the time spread to the baseball field and these cards.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            Wait what ? He told me and Heye earlier that the spots were taken
                            grrr.....
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              Not sure how good those teams will be, but I actually enjoy taking over a non competitive team and building it up.
                              I'm much better with taking over competitive teams and tearing them down.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                                I'm much better with taking over competitive teams and tearing them down.
                                I didnt say i was any good at it. Low expectations
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X