No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe a repetitive delivery was not of paramount importance back in 1924? It's possible that Johnson had different deliveries for different pitches? The sidearm motion is throwing me off, too, and making me wonder if he's ever over the top or three quarters and if that changes based on the pitch.

Edit: Hmm, seems like he was always a sidearmer. Yeah I don't see how that thing goes 91 mph.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Hopefully the link works, these are pretty cool- bar charts of MLB career leaders that is in video form. Wish there was a way to slow it down and forward thru the graphs at your own pace.

---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        Hopefully the link works, these are pretty cool- bar charts of MLB career leaders that is in video form. Wish there was a way to slow it down and forward thru the graphs at your own pace.

https://twitter.com/darenw/status/1107792908122550273
        I'm sure that'll be on YouTube. Search the title in YT. You then slow it down to 0.25 speed.

Comment

Hopefully the link works, these are pretty cool- bar charts of MLB career leaders that is in video form. Wish there was a way to slow it down and forward thru the graphs at your own pace.

https://twitter.com/darenw/status/1107792908122550273
          i had to pause it a couple of times because things got confusing... realized it was because Williams and McCovey finished with the same number of home runs and the graph was flip-flopping them every other year.

There was an article in the comments about Amos Russie and to a lessor extent Walter Johnson... they show the "drop ball" each was throwing which has that side-arm motion.

I sort of fell into this subject on Facebook earlier today in response to a woodcut I posted of Amos Rusie’s drop ball. With his legendary fastball, I suggested, why would he ever need to throw a…
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            i had to pause it a couple of times because things got confusing... realized it was because Williams and McCovey finished with the same number of home runs and the graph was flip-flopping them every other year.

There was an article in the comments about Amos Russie and to a lessor extent Walter Johnson... they show the "drop ball" each was throwing which has that side-arm motion.

https://ourgame.mlblogs.com/who-were...s-c453890d0516
            Interesting. Although in all his calculations about flight times, John Thorn pulls a Neil Degrasse Tyson and assumes that the ball is released from 60'6" and travels in a vacuum.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
              Interesting. Although in all his calculations about flight times, John Thorn pulls a Neil Degrasse Tyson and assumes that the ball is released from 60'6" and travels in a vacuum.
              That really limits the breaking ball.
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• plus you can't hear the crack of the bat
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Plus there's all that dirt in there, it can get pretty nasty. The last time I tried to empty mine most of it ended up missing the trashcan and it left a huge cloud of dust. I ended up having to vacuum it up all over again.

No wonder there weren't many home runs back then though, can you imagine trying to hit the ball AND the vacuum over the fence? I bet the physics tells you it's not possible.
                  Last edited by Ken; 03-20-2019, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    Plus there's all that dirt in there, it can get pretty nasty. The last time I tried to empty mine most of it ended up missing the trashcan and it left a huge cloud of dust. I ended up having to vacuum it up all over again.

No wonder there weren't many home runs back then though, can you imagine trying to hit the ball AND the vacuum over the fence? I bet the physics tells you it's not possible.
                    I'm not sure you understand what it means to play baseball in a vacuum or how it affected deadball pitchers
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'm not sure you understand what it means to play baseball in a vacuum or how it affected deadball pitchers
                      Wait, now we have to play inside a vacuum? What is this, a game for ants?

Comment

• Seitzer - my county instituted similar bail reform measures. It's astounding how many people simultaneously believe that accused criminals should be indefinitely held in detention, ability to pay bail be damned, as well as pontificate about "small government". Is there any more significant government intrusion, other than execution, into an individual's life than depriving him of his freedom? Hypocrites.
                        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                          Seitzer - my county instituted similar bail reform measures. It's astounding how many people simultaneously believe that accused criminals should be indefinitely held in detention, ability to pay bail be damned, as well as pontificate about "small government". Is there any more significant government intrusion, other than execution, into an individual's life than depriving him of his freedom? Hypocrites.
                          I saw a chart the other day indicating 75% of the people in u.s. prisons are not convicted of any crime.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I saw a chart the other day indicating 75% of the people in u.s. prisons are not convicted of any crime.
                            That may have been local jails only, not state or federal
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Life is too short to be a snooty bitch about beer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                                Life is too short to be a snooty bitch about beer.
                                why you gotta come at me like that ?
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X