*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Anyone seen this before? I try and watch the entire thing once a year. It's fucking magical:

David Gilmour used to be pretty dreamy!
    Yeah that video is always popping up in my YT recommendations.

Comment

Food, baseball, you name it....it's all better in California! Although I did just read today that families making less than $117,000+ per year in San Francisco are considered "low income". Holy frijoles!
      Food, not so much.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        Food, not so much.
        Best in the country, all things considered. And I live in a pretty stellar state, culinary-wise.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• I mean, have you ever had a meal in Chinatown? Or sea food down in SoCal? Cracked crab from the pier? Cali's got it all, broseph!

Edit: Ooooh, sourdough bread!
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Sup there Chance? I honestly have no idea what you guys are talking about or what that thing is photoshopped on the field. Pokemon? I should ask my kid, lol, he'll know.
            Yup, Pokemon. I'm a pretty hardcore Pokemon Go player. Doing great - how about you?

I hear what you're saying about Cali food, but, man, I had one of the best meals I've ever had in Albuquerque. And reasonably priced.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I mean, have you ever had a meal in Chinatown? Or sea food down in SoCal? Cracked crab from the pier? Cali's got it all, broseph!

Edit: Ooooh, sourdough bread!
              It's a little cheap selecting individual spots from a state this big. That's like, have you ever had crab from Baltimore? Clams from Boston? Lobster rolls in Maine, Pizza in NYC? Pork Roll in Philly?

Overall, food here is pretty meh.

Comment

• Burque does have some great food. What's that place right across the street from UNM?
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• The best food in the world is in India, hands down. And most of it is meat-less. I could be a vegetarian if I lived there. Thailand is 2nd.

As for the US, NYC easily has the best food IMO.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    It's a little cheap selecting individual spots from a state this big. That's like, have you ever had crab from Baltimore? Clams from Boston? Lobster rolls in Maine, Pizza in NYC? Pork Roll in Philly?

Overall, food here is pretty meh.
                    Honestly, I have not been that impressed, especially in LA. My friends who brought me to various restaurants raved about them, and I didn't want to be rude by giving my honest opinions. They weren't terrible, but were, like you said, pretty meh.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

• And Vegas, some killer food there.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Burque food is deeeeeeeelish! The restaurant you're talking about is The Frontier. We will fight people to the death if they besmirch the good name of The Frontier. But outside of New Mexican food, which is mana from god, the food here isn't nearly as good as in California, where I also lived for many years. I imagine your experience is colored by living in Sacramento(?). Both Bay Area and SoCal food is amazing. I have a friend who's some sort of fancy TV chef in Los Angeles and her stuff might not be emblematic of the entire state but it's the kind of stuff that only really exists in Cali, to my knowledge. Vegas is also incredible but it ain't like the good ol' days when you could get a buffet for two bucks, that's for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          Yup, Pokemon. I'm a pretty hardcore Pokemon Go player. Doing great - how about you?

I hear what you're saying about Cali food, but, man, I had one of the best meals I've ever had in Albuquerque. And reasonably priced.
                          Doing well. You know, I thought the apocalypse would be tough on me and my family but apparently we're pretty happy just chilling together all day every day.

You know, I take it back --- we have good food here other than New Mexican food. There are a few places I'd put up against just about anywhere. Of course, New Mexican only really exists here which is kinda cool. There's a "Santa Fe" restaurant in San Francisco now, though, if you want authentic stuff. I think the owners lived in NM.

What's your delicacy there? Pasties?

Comment

Burque food is deeeeeeeelish! The restaurant you're talking about is The Frontier. We will fight people to the death if they besmirch the good name of The Frontier. But outside of New Mexican food, which is mana from god, the food here isn't nearly as good as in California, where I also lived for many years. I imagine your experience is colored by living in Sacramento(?). Both Bay Area and SoCal food is amazing. I have a friend who's some sort of fancy TV chef in Los Angeles and her stuff might not be emblematic of the entire state but it's the kind of stuff that only really exists in Cali, to my knowledge. Vegas is also incredible but it ain't like the good ol' days when you could get a buffet for two bucks, that's for sure.
                            Ah yes, The Frontier. We went there twice in the few days we were there. Yea, I tried a Thai place, and it reminded me of local Thai restaurants (which ain't a good thing).

My grandfather lived in Vegas for many years and he used to get so excited taking us to the buffets back in the day.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• And of course NOLA, how could I forget that? Oh maybe because it's been so long since I've been.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Burque food is deeeeeeeelish! The restaurant you're talking about is The Frontier. We will fight people to the death if they besmirch the good name of The Frontier. But outside of New Mexican food, which is mana from god, the food here isn't nearly as good as in California, where I also lived for many years. I imagine your experience is colored by living in Sacramento(?). Both Bay Area and SoCal food is amazing. I have a friend who's some sort of fancy TV chef in Los Angeles and her stuff might not be emblematic of the entire state but it's the kind of stuff that only really exists in Cali, to my knowledge. Vegas is also incredible but it ain't like the good ol' days when you could get a buffet for two bucks, that's for sure.
                                yeah, Sacramento is trying to bill itself as the Farm to Fork capital of the country... but I haven't been too impressed. Everyone has told me about one place in SF to get pizza, and it's decent, but not like I couldn't get at 5 strip mall pizza places within 2 miles of my house back east.

Maybe my problem is that I'm looking for good Italian food when I should try to appreciate good California food. I'll give kudos that there are like 5 unique Asian cuisine places at the mall that would all just be considered "Chinese food" back east and probably sold by the same place. (not saying food court food is the height of good food, just that the Asian offerings are much more diverse here without having to go to a China-town, or Little Korea back east or whatnot. I've sadly not been impressed with the Mexican here. All food seems to have a "California" twist to it, that seems to me to just be a genericizing or dumbing down of all cuisine. I haven't found that unique California flavor yet outside of fish tacos, which are awesome.

Pretty sure I had tried more places here in my first 2 years than my parents have in 25. I could list the places I would consider unique and note worthy on 1 hand.

Philly has a great restaurant scene though. I'm spoiled.

Comment

Working...
                                X