*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    PONY Minor league draft started last night .... I've got a list of like 60 names, and the 5th player taken wasn't on it. I go do some searching and he's the top International signing, Jasson Dominguez. I was curious your thoughts on the highlighted part below Mike. I accept a lot of it, but "right more often than not" still seems optimistic to me. How do you feel?
    International scouting is way behind domestic amateur scouting in terms of implementing technology and analytics. On top of that, they have to assess players at age 13-14 internationally instead of age 17-18 domestically. The Yankees are toward the top of the pack both in terms of what they are doing with tech/analytics in international and in the ability of their international scouts to identify talent.

International is probably in the position the draft was 20-30 years ago with a ton of mistake picks/signings being made. But the reward is huge when you hit on a player.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Makes sense ....

Has anyone done any longitudinal study of whether teams in general are getting better at drafting? Like in 1980, 40% of first round picks, 30% of second round picks, 10% of third round picks, etc, made it to the ML, but now 55% of first rounders make it etc?
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Makes sense ....

Has anyone done any longitudinal study of whether teams in general are getting better at drafting? Like in 1980, 40% of first round picks, 30% of second round picks, 10% of third round picks, etc, made it to the ML, but now 55% of first rounders make it etc?
        I am not aware of a public study. Private studies I have seen definitely indicate that teams are getting better at drafting.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• hmm .... I'm bored .... maybe I'll get REALLY bored.

Comment

hmm .... I'm bored .... maybe I'll get REALLY bored.
            Drastic measures? Boredom lifts!

Comment

• man, Tyler Kolek has some serious command issues.

Comment

man, Tyler Kolek has some serious command issues.
                My son and I saw him pitch as an amateur here in southeast Texas. That was two years before we started using slow-motion video in the draft. I often wonder what Kolek and Aiken would have looked like as amateurs on slow-motion video and what would have turned out differently as a result.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  My son and I saw him pitch as an amateur here in southeast Texas. That was two years before we started using slow-motion video in the draft. I often wonder what Kolek and Aiken would have looked like as amateurs on slow-motion video and what would have turned out differently as a result.
                  looks like you avoided the big storm ? Stay safe and dry, my friend
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                    looks like you avoided the big storm ? Stay safe and dry, my friend
                    Yeah, just a few showers from the outer rain bands here. Hopefully people in Louisiana are okay.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      Yeah, just a few showers from the outer rain bands here. Hopefully people in Louisiana are okay.
                      Yeah, hopefully. I read some interesting articles about how this combined with the high river flow may impact the gulf. Sounds like no one really knows.
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

134 too tough

133 food poison
                        you would not have enjoyed the tri-tip I cooked tonight. Parts of it hit 135
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Bob Gibson diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. An amazing player and person, wishing him the best.

George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I'm not old enough to remember this, but what a series.

George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Watching the 1968 world series, this is awesome. They are even playing a day game. Last day game I remember in the world series is 1974

Jose Feliciano's unconventional pre-game singing of "The Star-Spangled Banner" aroused considerable controversy, with the Tigers and NBC receiving thousands ...
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Horsshit Judge. I specifically OWNED prior persons/administrations who didn't do the job including Obama
                                who the fuck says that?

Comment

Working...
                                X