*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Trader Mac remains perhaps the only RotoJunkie to ever have publicly changed his mind on a religion/politics topic. He went from being a "young earther", you know those guys who think the world is 6,000 years old or whatever, to accepting that it just might be a tad older than that.
    I think ITC had gotten more socially progressive .... or at least more open minded
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I have gotten way more progressive in my time as a Rotojunkie. I voted for GW Bush the first time around, which was a few years before I joined RJ. Voted for the Libertarian candidate in 2004 because I couldn't stand how Cheney and company had run the Iraq War disinformation campaign and were in favor of torture. It wasn't really until Obama in 2008 that I'd call myself more a Democrat than a Republican, not just in my presidential choice but my overall views, and discussions on RJ in the intervening period were a significant contributor for me.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Was it my bombastic manner of threats and ad hominem argument that caused you to reconsider? No need to answer. I know it was.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• JOEY VOTTO JUST HIT AN INFIELD POPUP! 40 years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• It was a pop up to the 1b - the first time Votto has done that in his entire career. Dunno why, but that absolutely blows me away.

Comment

• Frankly, this makes Votto’s HoF case all by itself.

Comment

• I am very obviously not a religious person but I would definitely like to think that I would do the exact same thing in his position. I applaud the chaplain who risked his life to save the crown of thorns. I think perhaps this word gets bandied about too loosely, but I think that chaplain is a hero.

Comment

• My wife would lose her shit if I said aloud that I'd risk my life to save a religious artifact (or any other "thing", really). On a semi-related note, in a couple different instances, I've gone to help women as they were being attacked by their boyfriends / husbands in public, which has caused my wife considerable consternation. She's probably right that I have an obligation to keep myself save and alive now more than ever, since I'm a family man type of dude, but I just can't help being who I am. Things like that just put me on autopilot and I act. I haven't had the misfortune of being around a raging fire but I feel like I know what I'd do or at least feel compelled to do.

Comment

• Happy good friday to my Christian bros out there.

Comment

• Thank you, sir.

And I don't know what I'd do as far as trying to save something. I think heading into almost certain death to save a pet or a precious object would be stupid, but taking some risk in a dangerous situation would be heroic. I'm not sure exactly where the line between the two is and hope I never have to find out. Doing it to save another person obviously would be heroic.
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        I think heading into almost certain death to save a pet or a precious object would be stupid,
                        I hope I'm never faced with that situation. My stupidity is indefatigable. I'd almost certainly end up dead.

Comment

• Josh Hader just gave up only the 2nd HR in his career in which he was ahead in the count. It was also the first HR he's ever given up on an 0-2 count.

Comment

• My NFBC auction team, borne of disaster and frustration in their horrible draft room, has been sitting in first all season. A few days ago I had my highest score --- 138 pts. Not too bad out of 150 max. I'm all the way down to 104.5, still in first but only by a couple points. No way my mediocre-at-best pitching lasts much longer, particularly with Vizcaino going down. Maybe Melancon can start getting some saves? Well, a man can dream...

My straight draft team, loved by the rankings and RotoLab, is lower-mid part of the pack. Sale not helping at all, Buehler finally threw a good game, and Clevinger is now out for a couple months. Combine that with hitting underperformers like Arenado and 4 garbage catchers and Braun and I'm middling at best right now. I feel like this team will end up near the top, regardless. I honestly didn't feel like I had a weak point after I came out of that draft. We'll see about that.

My fantrax team has been exceelent so far, although I keep forgetting to check it. I ended up with quite the weird draft. I missed out on nearly all of my early and middle round targets. But then I hit on my sleepers later on pretty much every time. And lo and behold it's the sleepers who are carrying the day so far. It's hard to valuate a team based on points, I'm finding. Still, so far so good. JC at the top with 1365 and me in 2nd with 1357. Could use some luck in picking up more Ws but my team doesn't really have a weakness as far as I can tell.

Couple few players I own in all three leagues: Brandon Lowe, Dee Gordon, Pete Alonso, AJ Pollock, Trevor Richards, Josh Hader

Comment

I hope I'm never faced with that situation. My stupidity is indefatigable. I'd almost certainly end up dead.
                              This is me as well... I don't think I would do something in an "almost certain death" situation, but I'm pretty sure I would underestimate the "almost certainty" in nearly any situation.

Stepping into fights is different as I am severely non-confrontational. I'd like to be that guy, but I fear I would just escalate things and make them worse. I'd like to think I would step in if there was actual physical abuse going on though.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Happy good friday to my Christian bros out there.
                                and Happy Easter ! Hope everyone has a great day Sunday. No Easter Eggs around my house, but my daughter is home from college and it is supposed to be sunny and warm in Seattle. Going to make some Salmon for Brunch. All is good, hope you all have a great day as well.
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X