Page 39 of 438 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: *** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    I have 1915 ahead by a decent margin.

I have Walsh's 1908 ahead of 1910 but that one a closer decision. I'm not sure I'm doing it right determining the optimal decade.
    I have 08 just slightly better, it's super close. But I'm not sure I'm doing it right either. I've been working on that. This weekend I'm going to work on how to value OBP instead of average, i made a real crude adjustment, but need some better accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I have 08 just slightly better, it's super close. But I'm not sure I'm doing it right either. I've been working on that. This weekend I'm going to work on how to value OBP instead of average, i made a real crude adjustment, but need some better accuracy.
    + Need to do this also

I remember in the old forums I tried to be cute on OBP vs AVG adjustments for a few drafts and then basically decided I didn't know how to do it within the accuracy that I was able to do rankings in the first place. So I just moved the baseline somewhat based on OBP being higher than AVG and called it a day.
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

I remember in the old forums I tried to be cute on OBP vs AVG adjustments for a few drafts and then basically decided I didn't know how to do it within the accuracy that I was able to do rankings in the first place. So I just moved the baseline somewhat based on OBP being higher than AVG and called it a day.
    I did the same thing, and will no doubt do the same thing again

Plus I don't even recall how I set the baseline for the average ratios because I lost all that stuff. It was years of experimentation. I did a hack job which I've been using for the new site drafts ... and been fairly content with that.

Scary thing is, this is actually useful to me with my job search. I read a lot of these descriptions in ads and I think, I don't think I've ever done that, but most of the time I have, I just call it, "that shit I do in Tuesday" rather than the formal terms used here. Now I'm like, oh, that's our labor relations index (how likely a group is to vote to unionize). Or our comment analysis, our key driver analysys or whatever...
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

I reached the same conclusion as you and Johnny...good enough is good enough.

One thing that would help me in the spreadsheet in the by year tab is a column that shows which year of a player is drafted. Now it just colors every year for the player so you can't tell. Probably pretty easy to do so I'll try to figure it out after some other stuff.

So what would you estimate the OBP equivalent of a .300 BA is?

The 200th ranked career BA guy has 0.3001
    The 200th ranked career OB guy has 0.3767

Seem reasonably ballparky

Quote Originally Posted by johnnya24 View Post
    .380-ish
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

Quote Originally Posted by johnnya24 View Post

The 200th ranked career BA guy has 0.3001
    The 200th ranked career OB guy has 0.3767

Seem reasonably ballparky
    I used .370 as "par' for career OBP, ....so I was reasonably close

So Barry Bonds goes 9th eh. That must be nice.