*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    just talking to my coworker... mentioned that I was off to see Ohtani pitch tonight. Dude's from Jamaica, and not into sports, so I doubted he would know who he was. I started to explain a bit, said he was from Japan and was the first player to lead the league in HR's while also being a starting pitcher, since Babe Ruth.

He says, "I'm going to need to look some of these people up."

So I said, "just curious, no judgements, my ethnocentricity showing through, but do you need to look up Babe Ruth" he said yeah. Dude's living in NYC for a few years now. Mind blown. I guess more how ethnocentric we (yes, blaming you all too) can be. I somehow thought Ruth was a universal figure. Guess not.

He told me the only baseball player he had ever heard of was Rube Waddell

I wonder if Babe Ruth is becoming an obscure historical figure. How many American teens would know who he is ? When I started following baseball he had been retired for 40 years. Now it's like 85 years ago. There is basically no one around who has ever seen him play . And our culture know with youtube/Tik Tok/Instagram probably doesn't feature the Babe very often.

I just asked my daughter if she knew who Babe Ruth was. She knew he was a baseball player...guessed that he played for the Yankees. What is he famous for.....Candy bar !
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      I wonder if Babe Ruth is becoming an obscure historical figure. How many American teens would know who he is ? When I started following baseball he had been retired for 40 years. Now it's like 85 years ago. There is basically no one around who has ever seen him play . And our culture know with youtube/Tik Tok/Instagram probably doesn't feature the Babe very often.

I just asked my daughter if she knew who Babe Ruth was. She knew he was a baseball player...guessed that he played for the Yankees. What is he famous for.....Candy bar !
      I assumed he was as much a folk hero like paul bunyon or davey crockett, but my guess is very few people know who either of them are anymore as well (and I know davey crockett was real) especially outside of the US... but also probably with anyone under the age of 45.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• on that note... I had a coworker a while back say something along the lines of "here's a story" to which I instantly replied "of a lovely lady..." She knew not what I was saying and probably thought I was being inappropriate. Sometime in the near future, 90% of my pop culture references based on Sienfeld and office space are going to be archaic. I'd have to learn spongebob to be retro cool.

Comment

I wonder if Babe Ruth is becoming an obscure historical figure.
          I think he's already an obscure historical figure. I'm pretty old, but Maris already broke his season HR record before I was born. And in the steroid era, everyone talked about breaking Maris' record, so even people 35-40 years old weren't hearing much about Ruth.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            I think he's already an obscure historical figure. I'm pretty old, but Maris already broke his season HR record before I was born. And in the steroid era, everyone talked about breaking Maris' record, so even people 35-40 years old weren't hearing much about Ruth.
            I disagree. Maris is much more obscure than Ruth. It’s not particularly close.

Ruth’s name is well known to anyone remotely interested in baseball in the 35-40 range. I know bc I’m in that range.

Comment

just talking to my coworker... mentioned that I was off to see Ohtani pitch tonight. Dude's from Jamaica, and not into sports, so I doubted he would know who he was. I started to explain a bit, said he was from Japan and was the first player to lead the league in HR's while also being a starting pitcher, since Babe Ruth.

He says, "I'm going to need to look some of these people up."

So I said, "just curious, no judgements, my ethnocentricity showing through, but do you need to look up Babe Ruth" he said yeah. Dude's living in NYC for a few years now. Mind blown. I guess more how ethnocentric we (yes, blaming you all too) can be. I somehow thought Ruth was a universal figure. Guess not.

He told me the only baseball player he had ever heard of was Rube Waddell
              Why on earth would he know Rube Waddell?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Just joshing bene with that. ARod was the only guy he could name

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Greatest motherfuckin’ baseball player of all time, that’s why!!!
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Hello...........anyone here ?
                    Nobody here but us chickens
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I agree
                      Hmm..
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        Nobody here but us chickens
                        Are you flying in the barnyard ?
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Are you flying in the barnyard ?
                          If he hasn't stopped, he's flying still.

Comment

• so I was hired during the pandemic and haven't actually met any of my coworkers IRL yet. My boss asked me a couple of weeks back if I thought that was weird, and at the time I said no. I've got a decent number of online friends who seem real to me, so this wasn't all that different.

Was just on a call with her now, going over next steps for planning our large end of year survey. I realized that wasn't what made this not so odd to me. The thing is, my boss, chatting with her on screen all this time, she's not an online friend, she's more of an NPC. Giving me tasks, asking for my input and sending me out on quests. I've played enough games to know how to deal with NPCs and for the interaction to not be all that weird.

Now is considering my coworkers NPCs weird... maybe, but interacting with NPCs isn't weird for me at all.

Comment

so I was hired during the pandemic and haven't actually met any of my coworkers IRL yet. My boss asked me a couple of weeks back if I thought that was weird, and at the time I said no. I've got a decent number of online friends who seem real to me, so this wasn't all that different.

Was just on a call with her now, going over next steps for planning our large end of year survey. I realized that wasn't what made this not so odd to me. The thing is, my boss, chatting with her on screen all this time, she's not an online friend, she's more of an NPC. Giving me tasks, asking for my input and sending me out on quests. I've played enough games to know how to deal with NPCs and for the interaction to not be all that weird.

Now is considering my coworkers NPCs weird... maybe, but interacting with NPCs isn't weird for me at all.
                              Are there any age ratings/warnings appropriate for your "Virtual Work" game?
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Are there any age ratings/warnings appropriate for your "Virtual Work" game?
                                If only I could convince myself that my work quests are exciting and think of work as a game...
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X