X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Even though my power is in and no snow in sight
    Power to the people!
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      Clearly.
      Howdy ! Hope all is well with u in Texas
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

True ?
        Ha, he looked it up! Moderately embarrassing handle but I'm just not that clever.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Hearing some fireworks tonight. Don't think there will be official fireworks shows this year. I expect the peeples to step up
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Howdy ! Hope all is well with u in Texas
            Got a COVID test today, so that was fun.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Over the years it has become clear to me that Revo and I often don't share much common ground when it comes to fine arts preferences. But he's a Dodger fan miscast as a Jerseyite so I cut him a lot of slack.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

*not actually fun

Comment

Hope you have good results and hope I don't ever need one. But my fellow americans seem excited to infect me
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I hope your test was positively negative!

Comment

Hope you have good results and hope I don't ever need one. But my fellow americans seem excited to infect me
                      I'll supposedly find out in 2-3 days.

Comment

We are number one in covid. No one else can compete !
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                          I hope your test was positively negative!

Agreed, much better than negatively positive
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Is that Robert deNiro in the El DeBarge video?!

Who’s Johnny, Who’s holding donna now, man, they had a lot of questions!
                            This is a classic
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                              OK, here's where I'm at with the "are we alone out in this big ol' universe?" discussion:

There are things that we know to be certain.

We know that the probability of the existence of intelligent life in the universe is more than zero. We know this, arguments about this reality being a simulation aside, because we are living proof. We also know that rudimentary life can form in a relatively short period of time. We know this because life first originated about a billion years after Earth came into existence. We also know that a couple billion years later, we evolved from that primitive life. We know what the building blocks for the emergence of life as we know it are --- things like hydrogen, carbon, and oxygen --- and we also know they are incredibly prevalent throughout our galaxy. Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe, oxygen is third, etc.

The most common way scientists estimate the number of communicating civilizations in our galaxy is the Drake Equation, in which N = R* • fp • ne • fl • fi • fc • L where

N = The number of civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy whose electromagnetic emissions are detectable.

R* = The rate of formation of stars suitable for the development of intelligent life.

fp = The fraction of those stars with planetary systems.

ne = The number of planets, per solar system, with an environment suitable for life.

fl = The fraction of suitable planets on which life actually appears.

fi = The fraction of life bearing planets on which intelligent life emerges.

fc = The fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space.

L = The length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

Of course, any zeroes in this equation mean we're alone, at least in our galaxy (one of hundreds of billions, remember).

But we do know some of these variables. R is somewhere between 1.5-3. F(sub)p is something approaching 1 --- stars with planets are the rule, rather than the exception. Fp minus Ne is somewhere around .4 --- there are more than 40 billion Earth-esque planets in habitable zones orbiting stars in the Milky Way alone. But now we start getting into the sticky stuff. For brevity's sake, of the remaining variables really only Fl is worth discussing here --- "is there any life at all out there?" The rest just speak to whether we (or they) would ever know of the other's existence. Of course, the enormous distances between planets makes all of this even more difficult --- if a civilization 65 million light years away, that is, not even outside our own galaxy, was somehow looking directly at Earth, they would see dinosaurs and not people. The time factor complicates everything enormously because even if there is other life out there, it would take a very, very specific window or some sort of prescience to be able to communicate. Humans have only been able to transmit radio waves beyond our atmosphere for 100 years.

But scientists often employ the Central Limit Theorem when trying to muscle through the Drake Equation. That is, given variables with finite mean and variance, the variables will be normally distributed on a plot. And when the theorem is applied to the Drake Equation, the probability of each of the seven variables of the Equation become positive.

There's an easy way to look at it, too. It's called the "pessimism line". Let's assume that ours is the only life ever to have existed in the universe. Given what we know right now and our ever-increasing knowledge about the other quantifiable variables, human civilization must be the only civilization in the universe if the odds of a civilization developing on a habitable planet are less than one in 10 billion trillion (one part in 10 to the 22nd power). This, of course, is an unbelievably small number and generally falls well below nearly all of even the most pessimistic projections.

It seems to me that it's likely that some life, at least some rudimentary form of life, has formed somewhere in the trillions of solar systems in the universe over the course of its 14+ billion year existence. Obviously the probability of life, in general, exceeds zero. But the vast distances and long time scales complicate things so much that even if there were billions of intelligent, spacefaring civilizations to have emerged, it is still likely we would never know. The best answer is that, for all practical purposes, we are alone in the universe even if there are millions or billions of other lifeforms out there.
                              I disagree
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I have rats in my attic.
                                Oh my ! I actually had one climb up the bushes into my attic. Heard the bastard scratching. Don't miss him at all
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X