• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Don't Muse--Boldy Lunch!
    Draining My bowels in Lavatory
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• 2010 hitters and pitchers decades mostly barren lands...
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        2010 hitters and pitchers decades mostly barren lands...
        Strange, my valuations may be vastly off but I'm seeing the same basic quality player available as I saw 100 picks ago for those two sets.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Strange, my valuations may be vastly off but I'm seeing the same basic quality player available as I saw 100 picks ago for those two sets.
          Two points

1) I didn't say quickly
          2) is the quality good ?
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• YEah, I don't think there have been a lot of guys picked recently from either 2010 decade (hit/pitch)
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Two points

1) I didn't say quickly
              2) is the quality good ?
              Fair point on (1), on (2), I guess it depends on what you are going for but, for example, in 2010's pitching other than Kershaw, and to a lesser extent, Greinke, we we were all going to get a relatively similar pitcher (in total abstract value, I guess it depends on whether you are looking for a starter or reliever).

So if we are all getting the same thing, is that barren or rich? I guess that's a glass half full, glass half empty look. But the guys available are all vastly superior to the *bad* pitching decades.

I guess I'd have to turn it around on you, what did you mean by barren lands?

Comment

Fair point on (1), on (2), I guess it depends on what you are going for but, for example, in 2010's pitching other than Kershaw, and to a lesser extent, Greinke, we we were all going to get a relatively similar pitcher (in total abstract value, I guess it depends on whether you are looking for a starter or reliever).

So if we are all getting the same thing, is that barren or rich? I guess that's a glass half full, glass half empty look. But the guys available are all vastly superior to the *bad* pitching decades.

I guess I'd have to turn it around on you, what did you mean by barren lands?
                I think you are taking me too seriously on this one. Neither decade is bountiful, though. Perhaps the hitters moreso.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I think you are taking me too seriously on this one. Neither decade is bountiful, though. Perhaps the hitters moreso.
                  Oh I never take it too seriously in this forum, trust me, but these type discussions are fun for me.

Still curious what you mean by bountiful - without naming names I still see several pitchers who are not very different than Verlander on the starter side, or Rodney/Nathan on the reliever side. If we can go 3 deep on each of those without sacrificing too much quality, that seems "bountiful" to me.

Comment

Oh I never take it too seriously in this forum, trust me, but these type discussions are fun for me.

Still curious what you mean by bountiful - without naming names I still see several pitchers who are not very different than Verlander on the starter side, or Rodney/Nathan on the reliever side. If we can go 3 deep on each of those without sacrificing too much quality, that seems "bountiful" to me.
                    Those decades have a big drop off into sameness ... A lot of players around the same value / type. If you don't pick before the drop off, it feels like it makes no difference when you pick ... which is both good and bad.

Comment

• Sitting all day at hospital. Doctor treating 'mom' is the spitting of Sansa. Wonder if she likes lemon drizzle cake 🤔

Comment

• Don't Mention Baratheon Lies 🤐

Comment

• 2010 hitters and picthers are both pretty poor compared to 1990s and 2000s i believe. Pretty even quality with a few exceptions. But generally poor
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Perhaps punting HR and Rbi makes the hitters appear worse to me
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Damsel Mistreatment in Bolton Lair

Comment

2010 hitters and picthers are both pretty poor compared to 1990s and 2000s i believe. Pretty even quality with a few exceptions. But generally poor
                                I have wondered why this is. My speculation is that in every other decade, other than the 1870s, the best players have long careers both beginning and ending in the decade. Whereas for the 2010s, the good players whose careers are just beginning (say, Vlad Jr, maybe, at an extreme, or Arenado or Lindor--trying to come up with good player examples here who probably aren't draftable), haven't finished out their careers and accumulated good numbers yet. But I've wondered if there are other factors at play, like pitching having the upper hand over hitting (but starters pitching fewer innings, which reduces their vintage value), or the Stephen Jay Gould theory of the compression of talent in baseball over time.
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X