*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Sorry dude. Been super busy, not finding much time for myself lately. Some kind of Franchise draft is fairly locked in for VD14, but we'll sort out the precise stuff closer to the time.

In the mean time we can try some 1v1's ... I'll let you know.
    sounds good. Busy prepping for my draft tomorrow. feels like studying for finals !
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Walter Johnson throwing a pitch in the 1924 World Series.

More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
        Walter Johnson throwing a pitch in the 1924 World Series.

looks like a side-winder, never new that
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Walter Johnson held the MLB strikeout record for 56 years until 1972, when three pitchers eclipsed his mark --- Nolan Ryan, Gaylord Perry, and Steve Carlton.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• I have touki, soroka, and gausman. go braves !
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              looks like a side-winder, never new that

The Big Train won the MVP in 1924 after winning 23 games with a 2.72 ERA and 1.12 WHIP. We sage VDers know that was no small accomplishment for the brutal-for-pitchers 1920s.

Comment

Walter Johnson throwing a pitch in the 1924 World Series.

If he's throwing 91 with that delivery, that's incredibly impressive. He does load his hips a good bit, but he doesn't rotate around the front leg at all. No modern pitcher (that I know of) ends with their trail leg well behind their lead leg like Big Train does there. Guys who throw hard nowadays will almost all rotate all the way around their front leg so that they finish toward first base (for a RHP). The soft-tossers like Dallas Keuchel or Mark Buehrle rotate more than Walter Johnson is in this video, but they don't rotate all the way around, which is why they end up facing home plate in a good fielding position.

Obviously the arm adds to the energy that the pelvis and torso generate, and some guys arms add more than others, but it looks to me like Johnson is generating a lot of his arm speed with just his arm. To do that and pitch for 21 years and 6000 innings is amazing.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• That's Walter Johnson on the left and Jordan Hicks throwing 101 on the right. It's a different camera angle on Hicks, but you can see how much farther he is rotating around his plant leg than Johnson does.
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Here's a more apples-to-apples camera angle:

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      If he's throwing 91 with that delivery, that's incredibly impressive. He does load his hips a good bit, but he doesn't rotate around the front leg at all. No modern pitcher (that I know of) ends with their trail leg well behind their lead leg like Big Train does there. Guys who throw hard nowadays will almost all rotate all the way around their front leg so that they finish toward first base (for a RHP). The soft-tossers like Dallas Keuchel or Mark Buehrle rotate more than Walter Johnson is in this video, but they don't rotate all the way around, which is why they end up facing home plate in a good fielding position.

Obviously the arm adds to the energy that the pelvis and torso generate, and some guys arms add more than others, but it looks to me like Johnson is generating a lot of his arm speed with just his arm. To do that and pitch for 21 years and 6000 innings is amazing.
                      Very cool stuff, thanks! I'll go check out some footage of deliveries. Love this kind of thing!

Hard for me to tell exactly what's going on there. I wonder if Big Train had a couple different deliveries or if his age and wear and tear - he was 36 y.o. with over 5500 IP at regular season's end in 1924 - prompted him to change anything.

Comment

Very cool stuff, thanks! I'll go check out some footage of deliveries. Love this kind of thing!

Hard for me to tell exactly what's going on there. I wonder if Big Train had a couple different deliveries or if his age and wear and tear - he was 36 y.o. with over 5500 IP at regular season's end in 1924 - prompted him to change anything.
                        It's not at all what i had envisioned his delivery to look like.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Or here, if you want to feel like both are pitching on old-timey video:

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                            Or here, if you want to feel like both are pitching on old-timey video:

It's true, color adds 10 mph to the fastball
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

If you want to check out what a modern low-energy, low-rotation delivery looks like, look at Chris Volstad.

Comment

• Here is Volstad pitching in Korea in 2014. You can see that even though Volstad gets nowhere near Hicks, he still gets more body rotation than Walter Johnson.

Comment

Working...
                                X