*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    The whole Obama charisma thimg is actually a huge turn off for me. I foumd him trememdously disappointing
    In which sense? They got some big legislation passed before they lost the legislative branches. I was young during the Bush years and very jaded that he was our leader and I thought Obama was such a positive change that while I wish they had passed more policies I still thought he was overall a good President.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      In detail? Certainly not lacking more than Sanders'.
      Maybe so. Plenty of time to evaluate.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
        In which sense? They got some big legislation passed before they lost the legislative branches. I was young during the Bush years and very jaded that he was our leader and I thought Obama was such a positive change that while I wish they had passed more policies I still thought he was overall a good President.
        I am on my phone. Too much to try and post, maybe when i am on my computer.
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

In detail? Certainly not lacking more than Sanders'.
          Compared to her positions on most other issues.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I am on my phone. Too much to try and post, maybe when i am on my computer.
            No problem, I didn't mean to drag us all into a political debate here. We have so much time before we get a clearer picture of who these candidates are, but I just hope we vet them out and find someone who is a strong candidate who will defeat Trump in 2020.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Compared to her positions on most other issues.
              Yeah, that's probably true. A high bar to clear, though.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Yeah, that's probably true. A high bar to clear, though.
                It's likely due mostly to healthcare being such a complicated issue (rather than her being beholden to the healthcare lobby [barf]), but considering how well-thought out most of her positions are, that is why it is surprising.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                  No problem, I didn't mean to drag us all into a political debate here. We have so much time before we get a clearer picture of who these candidates are, but I just hope we vet them out and find someone who is a strong candidate who will defeat Trump in 2020.
                  Much more civilized in here. Even if this isnt really a political forum
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

It's likely due mostly to healthcare being such a complicated issue (rather than her being beholden to the healthcare lobby [barf]), but considering how well-thought out most of her positions are, that is why it is surprising.
                    She is also rolling out policy positions in detail, one by one. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/10/u...-platform.html

But you're definitely right about her stance on healthcare, to date. She has consistently employed market approaches to most problems. Generally speaking, Warren focuses on "post-distribution" solutions, such as consumer protections and fair market mechanisms while Bernie focuses on "pre-distribution" solutions, like government takeover of industry. To dramatically oversimplify, Bernie seems to favor bypassing private enterprise while Warren focuses on improving it. I think Bernie's approach is probably the right one when it comes to public goods, like health care or prisons or maybe even energy. But it's Warren's amazing knowledge and expertise about domestic economic affairs that wins the day for me. She authored the book I read in my bankruptcy law class, for god's sake! I love how Bernie has shifted the conversation on issues like healthcare, though. Either one would be a win for me.
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

She is also rolling out policy positions in detail, one by one. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/10/u...-platform.html

But you're definitely right about her stance on healthcare, to date. She has consistently employed market approaches to most problems. Generally speaking, Warren focuses on "post-distribution" solutions, such as consumer protections and fair market mechanisms while Bernie focuses on "pre-distribution" solutions, like government takeover of industry. To dramatically oversimplify, Bernie seems to favor bypassing private enterprise while Warren focuses on improving it. I think Bernie's approach is probably the right one when it comes to public goods, like health care or prisons or maybe even energy. But it's Warren's amazing knowledge and expertise about domestic economic affairs that wins the day for me. She authored the book I read in my bankruptcy law class, for god's sake! I love how Bernie has shifted the conversation on issues like healthcare, though. Either one would be a win for me.
                      Yep, I too really hope one of them is the nominee.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

As long as that shitbag from KY controls the Senate, nothing substantially progressive will get passed.
                        You are right and it is crazy early but we know how the math works for the Senate. AL, CO, AZ are the true toss-up states. Then we get to the states where if the presidential election numbers could carry us one war or the oher. NC, GA, ME, IA and for the R's MI, MN, NM, NH. So 3 true swings and then maybe 9 states that have the ability to move if the right amount of momentum comes from the top.

"Democrats are underdogs to win the Senate but *conditional on winning the presidency* they're probably slight favorites to win the Senate. So the modal outcome in a D presidency is probably like a 50-50 Senate nominally controlled by D's with Joe Manchin often voting with R's. "

So I will say if the Democrats think they can win the Pres there is at least a real chance Mitch isn't in charge anymore.

Comment

• So apparently senior US officials are withholding information about the country's cyber security plans, in particular regarding Russia, for fear that the President will leak details to foreign leaders, Putin in particular. Hahaha! This is all so normal. Everyone is lying except Trump again. Ugh.

Comment

needless to say amy of them are preferable to trump by a huge margin
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• There is something really wrong with Lenny Dykstra

Lenny Dykstra spent Father's Day weekend dumpster-diving for his $80K dentures

.... The former New York Mets and Philadelphia Phillies outfielder chronicled his exploits on Twitter searching through a dumpster for a set of specially made dentures he mistakenly left in a napkin at a Jersey Mike's sub shop near his Linden, New Jersey, home.

After finishing his sub and leaving the restaurant, he went back to find the staff had thrown the napkins and Dykstra's dentures – which he told NJ.com were valued at $80,000 – in the trash.

With the help of his friend, a tag-team wrestler who goes by the name Sprinkles the Clown, Dykstra informed his Twitter followers Sunday afternoon that his dentures were finally recovered – after nine hours of searching.

"Nails never fails!" he exclaimed, referencing the nickname he had as a major leaguer.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• And behold a pale horse and upon it a rider and his name was Cheedar and super smart stuff followed with him.

Edit: That was a little mean, even by my admittedly low standards.
                                Last edited by Bene Futuis; 06-18-2019, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X