No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to Ken for the PM. Give me just a little while to pick.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      I'm here, and aaarggghhh, the Raines pick was an icepick in the ear! Gimme a few.
      Well i guess I feel a little better about the pick after reading your heart-warming words. I had an all day meeting today so I woke up and had about 20 minutes to look things over. Settled on Raines which hopefully ends up being a decent pick.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
        I had Addie Joss higher on my list than several other pitchers who have been picked lately, maybe my valuation is off though. Short career, maybe I'm undervaluing the counting stats, obviously it is all relative.
        Joss is a good pick in a very deep pitching decade. Like almost all pitchers not named Johnson, Mathewson, or Alexander, he has a couple of shortcomings, so it just depends on what you want and how he fits in to your plan.

Comment

• Yet another one of those picks where I have no idea wtf I'm doing so I just pick the guy I almost picked last round.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            Well i guess I feel a little better about the pick after reading your heart-warming words. I had an all day meeting today so I woke up and had about 20 minutes to look things over. Settled on Raines which hopefully ends up being a decent pick.
            The aaaaarggghhhhh --- the most coveted of all Vintage Draft responses to elicit. Nice work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
              Yet another one of those picks where I have no idea wtf I'm doing so I just pick the guy I almost picked last round.
              I almost took Grove.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                Yet another one of those picks where I have no idea wtf I'm doing so I just pick the guy I almost picked last round.
                Goes 3 rounds after Hubbell ... can't argue with that.

Is Frae around? Can't really tell anymore ... what with the extended log in timer.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  Goes 3 rounds after Hubbell ... can't argue with that.

Is Frae around? Can't really tell anymore ... what with the extended log in timer.
                  Yeah I am here.

Comment

• As an aside, Grove may be the most underappreciated pitcher in history. He had the misfortune of pitching in a very poor era for pitchers, so his numbers don't look as impressive on the surface but there's a pretty compelling case for him as the best pitcher ever. 148 ERA+ is amazing. Lower than Pedro and Kershaw but Grove also has 300 wins...

Comment

• Waddell seems like a bargain here. Seeing him slip almost made me regret taking Three Finger.

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                        Waddell seems like a bargain here. Seeing him slip almost made me regret taking Three Finger.
                        It just seemed like a good combo of ratio and K's from that spot at this point.

Comment

• Voyager 1 is currently 138 times further away from us than we are from the sun. It travels at an amazing 11 miles per second! It will still take Voyager 1 another 30,000 years just to get out of our solar system even at that speed.

Comment

• Little trivia
                            Hoyt Wilhelm
                            First at bat in major league career hit a homer Second at bat hit a triple.

21 seasons later he retired with 1 Hr and 1 triple.

Comment

• Grove and Vance are a pretty deadly combo of ratio-killing 1920s and 30s dudes. Decent BYs in terrible decades, though. Hopefully Christy Canyon can keep my pitching afloat enough to compete. But, damn, how good was Carl Hubbell? His numbers are pretty ridiculous for such a terrible era to pitch in.

Some Lefty Grove trivia --- he won 199 games in the 1930s decade. His 1931 season was the last in which a pitcher won 30+ games until 1968! In 1938 he had 30 straight games without a loss and won 20 in a row. His career .680 win percentage remains the highest of all time for pitchers with 240+ wins.

Comment

• Does anyone else need to log in 5 times to make a post ? Not that I find it irritating, just wondering
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X