*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    And of course NOLA, how could I forget that? Oh maybe because it's been so long since I've been.
    I have a very large gut that attests to this.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      The best food in the world is in India, hands down. And most of it is meat-less. I could be a vegetarian if I lived there. Thailand is 2nd.

As for the US, NYC easily has the best food IMO.
      Indian food is my favorite food on the planet. My experience in India, though, was not that great with regards to the food. The first meal I had in Mumbai smelled like it had been cooked in an outhouse. It was nearly inedible. Then we spent time down south in Goa, which was really fun and weed was plentiful but it isn't known for its cuisine.

Best food I had was for sure in Rome. Also had a religious experience eating a tamale in Oaxaca --- they put theirs in banana leaves and mole (how the f do you do a tilde over the e?) on top. Overall, best food worldwide that I had was a tie between Mexico and Italy.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
        Doing well. You know, I thought the apocalypse would be tough on me and my family but apparently we're pretty happy just chilling together all day every day.

You know, I take it back --- we have good food here other than New Mexican food. There are a few places I'd put up against just about anywhere. Of course, New Mexican only really exists here which is kinda cool. There's a "Santa Fe" restaurant in San Francisco now, though, if you want authentic stuff. I think the owners lived in NM.

What's your delicacy there? Pasties?
        Dang, I’m impressed that you know about pasties!

The stuff I live for around here is fresh water fish - walleye, trout, Coho salmon.

And beer.

The Frontier was awesome. Also went to another really good place, but Central American. Can’t remember the name right off, but given all the time I’ve spent in El Salvador and Costa Rica, I was really impressed.

Albuquerque is definitely on the serious list for retirement.

And food in Rome...yeah, that’s incredible. Though I loved Tuscany - Florence, Lucca, Viareggio. My life’s best meal was at a place called Nebraska about 10-15 km outside of Lucca. Man, that was a night.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• I started googling "best state for food" and things like that. Nearly every one has California at or near the top, although some have Texas up there so obviously they're garbage rankings.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Money quote from the one I just read: "This state has it all, honestly. And if you don’t agree that it has the best food scene in America, well, you’re just plain wrong."

Ha! Suck it, Heyelander!

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
              I have a very large gut that attests to this.
              Spending extensive time in Baton Rouge sure increased my gut, that’s for sure.

Comment

• But no one can really deny that California has the greatest variety and freshest food in the country, can they? I mean, California is the agriculture king of our country and whoever is in second isn't even close. Plus, seafood, proximity to Mexico, and gluten-free farm raised GMO free avocado tofu toast!

Comment

gluten-free farm raised GMO free avocado tofu toast!
                  That’s Karen food. Just sayin’

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    That’s Karen food. Just sayin’
                    I only eat gluten free wheat, personally. And wild-caught beef.

Comment

I only eat gluten free wheat, personally. And wild-caught beef.
                      I buy my beef from a local farmer; all grass fed and open range. But not wild caught.

But I’m definitely giving you a hard time on avocado tofu toast.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        I buy my beef from a local farmer; all grass fed and open range. But not wild caught.

But I’m definitely giving you a hard time on avocado tofu toast.
                        Lol I was just joking --- are there wild cows out there?

I like tofu okay and avocados okay and don't give two shits if anything is GMO free because I think that's, to borrow a turn of phrase, a bunch of malarkey. Never tried avocado toast. Maybe if I go visit Heyelander I'll give it a shot!

Comment

• Yay on GMO!!! I’m with you there.

Dunno about wild, but grass fed beef is yummy.

Comment

• Ordering Indian tonight. yumm.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Food, baseball, you name it....it's all better in California! Although I did just read today that families making less than $117,000+ per year in San Francisco are considered "low income". Holy frijoles!
                              When it costs a million dollars to buy a modest home, that's a big part of it. Half of that $117k would be going to housing costs. But it does seem like the other half would be plenty for everything else.
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                                It's a little cheap selecting individual spots from a state this big. That's like, have you ever had crab from Baltimore? Clams from Boston? Lobster rolls in Maine, Pizza in NYC? Pork Roll in Philly?

Overall, food here is pretty meh.
                                That was my experience in San Jose, as well. If you were selective, you could find some pretty good places, but you couldn't just stumble into a good restaurant in San Jose the way you could in Austin.
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X