• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    8 posts in a row... suck it ken.
    ok

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      It funny to think about the Kris Bryant example, but in reality this isn't going to happen. In truth players have a chance to manipulate service time every year and it's never happened. I understand the additional risks this year, but I don't think you get to play both sides of that - if the player wants to keep their family safe and they are truly concerned, then they don't play the first few games either.
      It may not happen, but I think many of the players are smart enough to figure out the risk/reward opportunity here. While they have the opportunity to manipulate service time every year, this year is a truly unique opportunity - they miss at most 60 regular season games, with a significant chance of a league-wide shutdown reducing games even further and still get the service time they need. It's not like they'll be missing 150 - 160 games.

Moreover, I think the fear factor is being greatly underestimated. While Blake Snell's tweet storm timing was bad for negotiations, I think it gave a window into what some players are thinking, especially those in line for fairly big paydays soon. Add in that if just one player gets COVID in even a moderately bad way, and I think players in a position to secure their service time will run for the exits as fast as they can.

It's not like these players owe any loyalty to their teams. Bryant is the most notable example, but hardly the only one. The Cubs made it a point to screw him over, lie about screwing him over in the press, probably lie about screwing him over under oath during the arbitration process, and then publicly toyed with trading him depending on the outcome of the arbitration process they screwed him over with. Other players have experienced the same phenomenon, but not to the same degree. Heck, the only reason Bryant should stick around is the $7 mil he'd give up by leaving after game 1.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        These aren't the jokes you are looking for....
        move along....move along
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post

Moreover, I think the fear factor is being greatly underestimated.
          This is counter to your overall point though. Again, if players are truly afraid, they won't step on the field in the first place. They already have that choice. What you are talking about is them playing games with the system to manipulate service time. If you are truly afraid of the virus, like you are alluding to, that's not a game you play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            ok
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• The legend of Chico is growing to epic proportions with the Dodgers. Dude made yet another legendary play today! GIVE HIM ALL THE MONEY! 50 YEAR CONTRACT!!!!
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                The legend of Chico is growing to epic proportions with the Dodgers. Dude made yet another legendary play today! GIVE HIM ALL THE MONEY! 50 YEAR CONTRACT!!!!
                Had to look it up, pretty cool.
                --------------------------------------
                You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hi.I'm.Mandy View Post
                  Had to look it up, pretty cool.
                  speaking of pretty cool....anyone else gone to look at the Comet ?
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                    we use Clorox in this house.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

is this another one of Bene's euphemisms?
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

is this another one of Bene's euphemisms?
                        Time to go hide in a dark room and "put the tail on the comet", so to speak....

Comment

we use Clorox in this house.
                          I only drink that to keep the 'Rona away.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                            Sour Kens for the wins!
                            I’ve thought about this a bunch, particularly in light of our own resident insufferable left wing extremists. I still am not sure what I think about it, honestly. I reflexively resist the “but both sides!” bit but maybe it’s true here....

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                              I’ve thought about this a bunch, particularly in light of our own resident insufferable left wing extremists. I still am not sure what I think about it, honestly. I reflexively resist the “but both sides!” bit but maybe it’s true here....
                              offensive, ha ha
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

offensive, ha ha
                                Oh, we suffer your nonsense just fine. It's that zealot B-Fly we can't stand.

Comment

Working...
                                X