*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    I'm not seeing how those are mutually exclusive.

I mean if I want to put my outrage hat on I could say " I don't see why people think they have to get PAID just to try to help their fellow human beings during a pandemic ".

Why not just be happy that there are people volunteering?

I guess it's a glass half full / half empty discussion. Neither is wrong, just a matter of perspective.
    people obviously don't feel they need to get paid just to try to help their fellow human beings during a pandemic. They are doing it for free, so your angst would be misplaced. I don't see how they are mutually exclusive either. I'm thrilled people are doing it. What I don't understand is society wanting NEEDING something done, but being unwilling to pay for it.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      My mom is scheduled to have open-heart surgery on Thursday. I'm flying to see her tomorrow. She had a heart valve replaced about 3.5 years ago, and now the replacement valve is failing. Having seen a couple of my other relatives go through it, I know that open-heart surgery is a major thing. I would appreciate any thoughts and prayers you guys may wish to offer. My mom is 87 and otherwise in good health. She had her COVID vaccines done about a month ago, so...that's good?
      heal Fast seitzer mom.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        people obviously don't feel they need to get paid just to try to help their fellow human beings during a pandemic. They are doing it for free, so your angst would be misplaced. I don't see how they are mutually exclusive either. I'm thrilled people are doing it. What I don't understand is society wanting NEEDING something done, but being unwilling to pay for it.
        To clarify the "angst" was faux to show a perspective.

But to your last sentence, who said society was unwilling to pay? These people are volunteering? They didn't ask for pay.

To me it's like if I'm mowing my yard and I see that my neighbors' needs it so I just mow his too and come into my house when I'm done and my wife complains that the neighbor didn't pay me. I didn't do it to get paid, I did it to help out.

Comment

• Hey man, best wishes for your mom for an easy procedure and swift recovery. RJ VD mom positive thought power activate!
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            To me it's like if I'm mowing my yard and I see that my neighbors' needs it so I just mow his too and come into my house when I'm done and my wife complains that the neighbor didn't pay me. I didn't do it to get paid, I did it to help out.
            But it's more like your neighbor coming out while your mowing and saying "Hey, there was a kid by offering to mow my lawn for $15, but I told him no, I'm just going to ask my neighbor to do it for me for free, so can you do that? It really needs to be done. Make sure your edge too. Thanks. My wife and I appreciate it."

Comment

• I don't really get the lawn mowing stuff...but I think it is clear that our government/society doesn't pay for a lot of stuff that people desperately need to survive...and that drives a significant portion of volunteer efforts. I guess I should just be happy that gofundme and lemonade sales exists so desperate people can have a chance at healthcare, and not lament the fact that our society doesn't provide for them. I guess I'm just a glass half empty person.
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                But it's more like your neighbor coming out while your mowing and saying "Hey, there was a kid by offering to mow my lawn for $15, but I told him no, I'm just going to ask my neighbor to do it for me for free, so can you do that? It really needs to be done. Make sure your edge too. Thanks. My wife and I appreciate it."
                It's like having your community on fire and being like "hope those volunteers show up - be a real drag if they didn't!" Not allocating resources to paid emergency first responders is bad civic management.
                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• I'm probably misunderstanding the anecdote we are talking about for volunteering. Is this a situation where there were not enough workers and the local gov't refused to pay for more? If so I missed that part of the story.

Comment

• Texas sure has been in the news a lot recently. Not for anything good, though, that's for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                      Texas sure has been in the news a lot recently. Not for anything good, though, that's for sure.
                      yeah, what is you all's take on how mask wearing will go there no?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                        Texas sure has been in the news a lot recently. Not for anything good, though, that's for sure.
                        It's directly affecting me. Ice/power situation was horrible. Now I have to go back into work full time starting Monday. Forget the fact that work from home is effective, lets just all gather close together.

Comment

• My mom made it through surgery yesterday. Today she was up and walking a little bit. Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

My mom made it through surgery yesterday. Today she was up and walking a little bit. Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes.
                            great! thanks for the update

Comment

My mom made it through surgery yesterday. Today she was up and walking a little bit. Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes.
                              Good to hear that
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

very nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X