No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats to Controller Berkenslider! Your team kicked ass. The stretch of pitchers you took from rounds 8-16 or so really were genius, especially the Sutter/Bunning/McCormick trio. You zigged with pitching when a lot of others zagged with hitters. Nice work.

I really thought I had a great shot for a long time - after being very sure early on that my team was tanking - but I'm not very good at projections, lol.

Johnny - way to nearly pull off the impressive punt strategy, something not often even attempted anymore.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by bene futuis View Post
      congrats to controller berkenslider! Your team kicked ass. The stretch of pitchers you took from rounds 8-16 or so really were genius, especially the sutter/bunning/mccormick trio. You zigged with pitching when a lot of others zagged with hitters. Nice work.

I really thought i had a great shot for a long time - after being very sure early on that my team was tanking - but i'm not very good at projections, lol.

Johnny - way to nearly pull off the impressive punt strategy, something not often even attempted anymore.
      wwnbd ?
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I had many off by quite a few points, not sure why or how. Next draft, let's not update stats throughout, mmm'kay?

And yeah, ELO rocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
          Congrats to Controller Berkenslider! Your team kicked ass. The stretch of pitchers you took from rounds 8-16 or so really were genius, especially the Sutter/Bunning/McCormick trio. You zigged with pitching when a lot of others zagged with hitters. Nice work.

I really thought I had a great shot for a long time - after being very sure early on that my team was tanking - but I'm not very good at projections, lol.

How many winners of the last 13 implemented some punting strategy. Seems like most of them, without looking . Glad to see a winner competing in every category. For some reason when I draft in the lower half i think I need to punt something to win. Might not be true. Damn Might Be Losing strategy
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            How many winners of the last 13 implemented some punting strategy. Seems like most of them, without looking . Glad to see a winner competing in every category. For some reason when I draft in the lower half i think I need to punt something to win. Might not be true. Damn Might Be Losing strategy
            Some moderate punting, perhaps, but not extreme like the W/K punt. Those strategies, and that one in particular, was practically unstoppable back in the day.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
              Some moderate punting, perhaps, but not extreme like the W/K punt. Those strategies, and that one in particular, was practically unstoppable back in the day.
              I wasn't around for "vintage" Vintage drafting. Just the last 13. Seems like 4 categories is the max for punting, and even then you need some luck.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• when I drafted Gwynn, I immediately regretting it, thinking Boggs would stand up better against the hitters that were to come. Boggs would have improved my final score a few decimal points, but would have dropped me behind DMT

Dale Murphy, who was my original pick before I started experimenting, gives me even more points that either of them (though he didn't at the time) but also sinks me to 9th.

Picking Jimmy Ryan or Mike Griffin instead of waiting and picking Lyons were both negligible.

I think my biggest mistakes were underestimating what a good OBP and BY WHIP would be... I think if I balanced things right, and only dumped career pitching ratios, I might have fared a decent bit better.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Yeah, it used to be top 2 in my locale as well. Haven't been in one since college when we went in to play video games, lol
                  so after I bombed out of my poker game early, I went in search of something to do... I'd promised RJEL Girl a night at home to herself, and didn't want to pop in after only an hour... I drove around for a bit and ended up at a Dave and Busters thinking i could play some pinball. The Rocklin D&B is much smaller than the one they had back in Philly, but I still figured there would be a machine or two. Nope, not a single pinball game in the place. Real bummer.

Comment

We have a chain around here that is sort of like subway, they walk your (uncooked) crust past the ingredients and put on whatever you want, then bake it in a woodfired oven. I actually love it. Had something similar in San Diego a few years ago near Balboa Park. They even had nutella dessert pizza. Do you guys have that ?
                    there are a few of them around here...
                    Blaze Pizza
                    Mod Pizza
                    Blast 528
                    Piology

Comment

For some reason I'm listening to a lot of ELO lately for the first time in about 30 years. Anyone else enjoy their music ? Or do I just have incredibly poor taste ? Both ?
                      Saw them in Oakland late last year. Not sure I would have gotten the tickets, they were a gift, but I'm glad I got them. His voice was good, the orchestra was very good, and the electric lights were fantastic. I still enjoy a good bit of their music, and will even cop to enjoying the Xandu soundtrack (RJEL Girl grew up wanting to be a Muse.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        Final standings (unconfirmed)

Code:
                        Team            C-Hit    BY-Hit    #H    C-Pit    BY-Pit    #P    Multi    Rank
                        Controller_    45.4    47.0    15    45.9    46.6    12    184.9    1
                        DMT_____    31.3    37.9    15    48.8    45.2    12    163.2    9
                        JohnnyA__    48.3    55.0    15    40.1    40.1    12    183.4    2
                        Frae______    26.4    41.0    15    38.1    40.8    12    146.3    13
                        El Bene___    46.9    45.1    15    38.8    50.3    12    181.1    3
                        Ken______    37.3    42.1    15    43.0    45.2    12    167.5    6
                        TS Garp__    49.2    46.1    15    42.9    39.2    12    177.5    5
                        Heyelander    44.9    41.5    15    36.1    40.7    12    163.2    8
                        Revo_____    47.8    37.2    15    43.0    38.0    12    166.1    7
                        Feral Slash    40.4    39.0    15    51.0    47.5    12    178.0    4
                        KS_______    36.8    41.7    15    39.6    44.0    12    162.0    10
                        Hacko____    44.6    38.0    15    42.1    31.8    12    156.6    12
                        mjl_______    47.7    35.5    15    37.7    37.6    12    158.5    11
                        Code:
                        x	Team      	CH	CP	BYH	BYP	Multi	Place
                        .01	Controller_	45.4	45.9	47.0	46.6	184.877	1
                        .02	DMT_____	31.3	48.8	37.9	45.2	163.204	9
                        .03	JohnnyA__	48.3	40.1	55.0	40.1	183.415	2
                        .04	Frae______	26.4	38.1	41.0	40.8	146.275	13
                        .05	El Bene___	46.9	38.8	45.1	50.3	181.083	3
                        .06	Ken______	37.3	43.0	42.1	45.2	167.509	6
                        .07	TS Garp__	49.2	42.9	46.1	39.2	177.486	5
                        .08	Heyelander	44.9	36.1	41.5	40.7	163.211	8
                        .09	Revo_____	47.8	43.0	37.2	38.0	166.067	7
                        .10	Feral Slash	40.4	51.0	39.0	47.5	177.998	4
                        .11	KS_______	36.8	39.6	41.7	44.0	162.026	10
                        .12	Hacko____	44.6	42.1	38.0	31.8	156.580	12
                        .13	mjl_______	47.7	37.7	35.5	37.6	158.456	11
                        Found an input error on my side with Bill Freehan's BY

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          so after I bombed out of my poker game early, I went in search of something to do... I'd promised RJEL Girl a night at home to herself, and didn't want to pop in after only an hour... I drove around for a bit and ended up at a Dave and Busters thinking i could play some pinball. The Rocklin D&B is much smaller than the one they had back in Philly, but I still figured there would be a machine or two. Nope, not a single pinball game in the place. Real bummer.
                          Find local places to play pinball! The Pinball Map is a high-quality user-updated pinball locator for all the public pinball machines in your area.
                          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Congrats to CJ for finally winning one! Long time coming, and much deserved.

Also, big ups to El Bene, looked for a while like he might take the crown.

I would have won by 5 1/1000ths of a point if one pick had've went another way! 183.737 to 183.732. That would have been cruel on CJ! Not so on Feral or Pogues however, they would have deserved it.
                            Last edited by johnnya24; 02-16-2019, 07:03 AM.

Comment

• Thanks. 13 was really lucky for me - in vd10, last places in BY Stolen Bases was 370. In vd13, I got 7.5 points with 367. Having Ruth gave me a leg up on anybody else who was punting steals.

When Johnny got McKean in rd 17, I was really worried DMT would take Ripken, as I didn't see a lot of shortstops. Then after I got Ripken, I realized I had multiple protected picks at 1890s mi. After KS and Heye both passed on Hoy in the 24th, I realized that I had a better combo with Hoy + any of four protected mis in the 1880s. Beltran's 2004 season then determined I had to take Oyster Burns with my last pick. I was able to focus on almost entirely on steals for the last few rounds, which made things a lot easier.

Having O'Rourke and Pedro as my 2nd/3rd round picks was also lucky. O'Rourke has so many more career runs than rbis that I kept picking career rbi guys - so later on I was able to make full use of Hoy (another career run guy). Having taken Pedro so early looked like a mistake, but his extremely low whip let me get the most out of Kid Nichols, Jim Bunning and Lon Warneke. After Pedro, I think almost every other pitching pick I made was a case of a guy who fell too far (maybe all but Jeff Russell).

I would have though Nichols was worth more, but looks like I could have dropped 150 career wins and lost just one point. The teams at the top of career Ks and Wins are so high, they probably overpaid for it. When Billy Wagner (6th round) and Joe McGinnity (12th round) both fell to me, there was no point in punting saves or wins, and I was focused on finishing slightly above average in every pitching category. Multi scoring + Babe Ruth helped make that strategy optimal.

I thought I was going to lose after Garp and Heye went in the last round. Was really hoping revo + hacko would hav enough hrs to move Johnny down. Johnny's team makeup was near perfect for the last round, since his pitching could not be punked.
                              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                                Johnny's team makeup was near perfect for the last round, since his pitching could not be punked.
                                The 1 point I lost in pitching was key. Replace DMTs Foulke pick with Santana 😥 😯

I didn't think it would be that close. I thought you'd win comfortably. I was really only thinking about hanging on to second. I couldn't affect anything since my Giambi pick, which feels like an age ago. And thinking back, that was a must pick. Vlad would have been bad.

But for it to be that close, a bunch of other picks had to go in my favour.

That was a fun draft, well, early on. I'll post a recap later.

Comment

Working...
                                X