*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    In Seattle there is Senior living chain of facilities called SHAG. Lou Pinella does there comercials. Always gives me a chuckle.

EDIT: this is their billboard, ha ha
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• What is the Piniella tie-in? That he managed the Mariners? That seems like a long time ago, but I guess maybe for the senior-age population, it was just yesterday.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        What is the Piniella tie-in? That he managed the Mariners? That seems like a long time ago, but I guess maybe for the senior-age population, it was just yesterday.
        He is still fairly well known in Seatlle based on his long employment with the Mariners. He was the manager for quite a while...and thru their best seasons. Him, Buhner, Griffey, and Edgar are all quite popular in the area.

EDIT: it was a while ago, but Mariners have been pretty bad since he left. Any baseball fans here think of him fondly.
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

He is still fairly well known in Seatlle based on his long employment with the Mariners. He was the manager for quite a while...and thru their best seasons. Him, Buhner, Griffey, and Edgar are all quite popular in the area.

EDIT: it was a while ago, but Mariners have been pretty bad since he left. Any baseball fans here think of him fondly.
          Had to look it up, but he managed here 1993-2002, the best years of Seattle baseball.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Had to look it up, but he managed here 1993-2002, the best years of Seattle baseball.
            almost 50 years and no World Series...it's tough being a Mariner fan. Maybe some day
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

And it's not particularly close.

The three managers with the most wins in Mariners history are Pinella, Service, and Lou Lefebvre.

Pinella's teams went 840-711. Service 438-432, and Lefebvre 233-253.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

The three managers with the most wins in Mariners history are Pinella, Service, and Lou Lefebvre.

yep, before and after his time have been pretty rough to put it mildly
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Interesting. I guess I had in my head that he was more like Larry Dierker as Astros manager than like Bobby Cox as Braves manager. Nearly everyone in the Atlanta metro would know Cox and think of him fondly, but you'd have to be a real baseball nut to recognize Dierker in Houston.

Timeframe-wise, Piniella is more comparable to Dierker, but I hadn't thought of the success angle.
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Interesting. I guess I had in my head that he was more like Larry Dierker as Astros manager than like Bobby Cox as Braves manager. Nearly everyone in the Atlanta metro would know Cox and think of him fondly, but you'd have to be a real baseball nut to recognize Dierker in Houston.

Timeframe-wise, Piniella is more comparable to Dierker, but I hadn't thought of the success angle.
                    He immediately comes to mind when I think about the Mariner's manager. Akin to Cox for the Braves, that's a good example.

And Pinella didn't just have the longevity, that 2001 team was historically good.

Comment

• Speaking of Mariners, on this day in 2013 Justin Upton, then of the Dbacks, vetoed a trade that would have sent him to the Ms.
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

He immediately comes to mind when I think about the Mariner's manager. Akin to Cox for the Braves, that's a good example.

And Pinella didn't just have the longevity, that 2001 team was historically good.
                        On the last day of the season the Mariners were trying to set the record for most wins in a season against the Texas Rangers if my memory is correct. My friend and I went to the Mariners store and rode the elevator up into the stadium without tickets to watch the last inning. Unfortunately they didn't get it done.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• It would be an interesting exercise to come up with the most iconic manager for current fans of each of the 30 franchises.

ATL - Bobby Cox
                          SEA - Lou Piniella

For example, would Dodgers still be Tommy Lasorda, or has Dave Roberts' run of success vaulted him to the top for current fans?

Comment

• For the Astros, I think it would be A.J. Hinch surpassing Phil Garner and Larry Dierker.

Comment

It would be an interesting exercise to come up with the most iconic manager for current fans of each of the 30 franchises.

ATL - Bobby Cox
                              SEA - Lou Piniella

For example, would Dodgers still be Tommy Lasorda, or has Dave Roberts' run of success vaulted him to the top for current fans?
                              Gotta be Lasorda.

I agree it would be an interesting exercise.

Comment

• For the Royals, I assume Ned Yost takes the top spot for the two World Series trips, as well as for recency and longevity, surpassing the previous winning managers Dick Howser and Whitey Herzog. Herzog can't really be it because he defected to the hated Cardinals.

Comment

Working...
                                X