*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    13,424 posts of quality here, folks. True quality.
    to be honest, like 3 or 4 of mine were subpar. So your count may be off
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      So related to the CAPITALISM, I try to value players similar to how theory values stocks - as an earnings stream discounted for future years. If I were motivated I would have a spread sheet for every player in the league listing their value....but we know I'm a slacker as well as a slasher. I usually don't even have my own team. But when I get down to looking at a player or two I estimate their value for each year, subtract contract, and then discount years according to risk. Then total each years value for an overall value. when it comes to keepers I can run the valuation on several contract possibilities and compare the total value.

Anyway, that is my process. Like everything with projecting stats it is subject to error. But one thing I don't worry to much is about overextending guys because I am worried about maximizing value in the next year. Paying an extra 5 bucks can yield a lot more future gains/options than letting the contract expire. My observation is that many people are very concerned with extending too long and not locking in guaranteed profit...but the risk here is that the profit is realized in year one, but profit in future years is never realized. maybe I'm doing it "wrong" but it has worked pretty well for me.

EDIT: one more point, an underpriced player that yields profit is an asset that is never that easy to replace. At least for me.
      Put another way, my team has a limited amount of assets, I want to set their contracts in a way that maximizes their total value (in general, there are exceptions)
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So related to the CAPITALISM, I try to value players similar to how theory values stocks - as an earnings stream discounted for future years. If I were motivated I would have a spread sheet for every player in the league listing their value....but we know I'm a slacker as well as a slasher. I usually don't even have my own team. But when I get down to looking at a player or two I estimate their value for each year, subtract contract, and then discount years according to risk. Then total each years value for an overall value. when it comes to keepers I can run the valuation on several contract possibilities and compare the total value.

Anyway, that is my process. Like everything with projecting stats it is subject to error. But one thing I don't worry to much is about overextending guys because I am worried about maximizing value in the next year. Paying an extra 5 bucks can yield a lot more future gains/options than letting the contract expire. My observation is that many people are very concerned with extending too long and not locking in guaranteed profit...but the risk here is that the profit is realized in year one, but profit in future years is never realized. maybe I'm doing it "wrong" but it has worked pretty well for me.

EDIT: one more point, an underpriced player that yields profit is an asset that is never that easy to replace. At least for me.
        another thing that I've thought of doing is running thru valuations based on 10 percentile blocks. Estimate each 10th percentile likely outcome, sum them and find out the expected value. Easy to do for a guy or two, not so much for a team or a league, at least with my computer skills. the goal is to maximize expected value. Probably useful for guys like Lamet who have a good chance of getting hurt.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Did I mention my fantasy teams always finish last, I feel like this might be an important disclosure to make at this point
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• test
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Spent the last 6 hours creating an Instagram account for my daughters cat....it was the highlight of my day
              Kinda disappointing that no one here asked about info so the could follow him....but whatever
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Did I mention my fantasy teams always finish last, I feel like this might be an important disclosure to make at this point
                I finished last in 2019 in our 30 plus year Roto league.( we took last year off) So will be this years Assmonkey - we have to use it in our team name. Draft Day will be very harsh this year I expect a non stop Ass ribbing. Need to come up with a team name . If we played last year it was going to be Trumps Assmonkey but since he no longer is in office I am open to suggestions.

Comment

• DFBB8BBE-660A-459D-9A48-4CBBFB8233EC.jpg

Last known Assmonkey.

Comment

Did I mention my fantasy teams always finish last, I feel like this might be an important disclosure to make at this point
                    Nice guys finish last.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Nice guys finish last.
                      I disagree....wait a minute

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                        I finished last in 2019 in our 30 plus year Roto league.( we took last year off) So will be this years Assmonkey - we have to use it in our team name. Draft Day will be very harsh this year I expect a non stop Ass ribbing. Need to come up with a team name . If we played last year it was going to be Trumps Assmonkey but since he no longer is in office I am open to suggestions.
                        Gre-assmonkey?
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Gre-assmonkey?
                          Great Greastie Boys song if I recall
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            I don’t follow.

Some people give back with their money, giving to charity, paying for the next guys meal in the drive thru, contributing to fundraisers.

Others give back with their time. Volunteer fire fighters, volunteer nurses, etc.

Some do both.

But I don’t see any of them as problematic.
                            I appreciate that people are willing to do it. I think it's absurd that we have to rely on the generosity of people, to get something as important as vaccinations during a global pandemic, done.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              I appreciate that people are willing to do it. I think it's absurd that we have to rely on the generosity of people, to get something as important as vaccinations during a global pandemic, done.
                              I agree with this.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                                I totally, agree.
                                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Working...
                                X