No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't feed the troll. (Election thread)
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      I Disagree U
      Aye, you disagree
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• woot Charlie Morton?

That sounds like a better signing than Smylie..

At least as far as ex-phillies who were only here for a year or less, I wish we had kept Morton.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          woot Charlie Morton?

That sounds like a better signing than Smylie..

At least as far as ex-phillies who were only here for a year or less, I wish we had kept Morton.
          To share an amusing anecdote, the winter after he was in Philly, we had pro scouting meetings discussing who our targets for the offseason would be. I had a scout tell me that my data on his fastball velo (sitting 94) was wrong. He had been in the stands for one of Charlie's games, and he was 90-91 on his radar gun, and he had confirmed it with the scouts sitting next to him. I told him I was pretty confident in my data and that we confirmed its accuracy by looking at how all the pitcher velos changed from park to park, so that we knew if the velo readings were off in any one park. He didn't want to hear any part of that and was convinced we were making an awful decision by pursuing this pitcher with a 4.54 career ERA, a 4.15 ERA in the preceding season, a long history of injury, and mediocre stuff.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

To share an amusing anecdote, the winter after he was in Philly, we had pro scouting meetings discussing who our targets for the offseason would be. I had a scout tell me that my data on his fastball velo (sitting 94) was wrong. He had been in the stands for one of Charlie's games, and he was 90-91 on his radar gun, and he had confirmed it with the scouts sitting next to him. I told him I was pretty confident in my data and that we confirmed its accuracy by looking at how all the pitcher velos changed from park to park, so that we knew if the velo readings were off in any one park. He didn't want to hear any part of that and was convinced we were making an awful decision by pursuing this pitcher with a 4.54 career ERA, a 4.15 ERA in the preceding season, a long history of injury, and mediocre stuff.
            Believe half of what you see...and none of what you hear (from scouts). Or something like that
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              Believe half of what you see...and none of what you hear (from scouts). Or something like that
              This was not one of the better scouts, shall I say. But scouting is hard, and it is very tempting to fill in what you can't see with your eyes based on the past performance record. That's all fine and well as long as everyone is transparent that is what is going on.

Comment

This was not one of the better scouts, shall I say. But scouting is hard, and it is very tempting to fill in what you can't see with your eyes based on the past performance record. That's all fine and well as long as everyone is transparent that is what is going on.
                I think scouting would be incredibly hard. I had a hard enough time when my friend had me evaluate his 6th grade basketball team
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I think scouting would be incredibly hard. I had a hard enough time when my friend had me evaluate his 6th grade basketball team
                  Were they all too short? I know I was in sixth grade.

Comment

Were they all too short? I know I was in sixth grade.
                    How would i know, didn't i say it was difficult?
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving, fellow VDers!

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving, fellow VDers!
                        You as well my friend! I'm thankful for all of you being in my life.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving all. Hope u all are safe and are able to see at least some family.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I think scouting would be incredibly hard.
                            OK Wash

Comment

• I quit posting in the political forums, I think I need to quit posting in the Corona Virus thread too
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I quit posting in the political forums, I think I need to quit posting in the Corona Virus thread too
                                Deaths yesterday were the lowest they've been in two weeks. I'm sure that's a true indicator of the trend.

Comment

Working...
                                X