*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    The Internet is an amazing thing. 25 years ago, you never would have been able to figure out who that was without a major research effort probably involving multiple libraries and/or travel to other cities and the investment of a large number of hours.
    I was listening to, I think it was Radio Lab on NPR a couple of weeks back and they were doing a story about trying to find Einstein's brain. It apparently went missing right after his autopsy and had been a mystery for a while. Some magazine editor tasked a rookie reporter with finding it back in the early 80s so he went looking. I instantly understood that he couldn't google the case or email questions... but it took a while to realize that once he had a name of the pathologist who conducted the autopsy (culled from microfiche news clippings) how hard it would be to track the guy down. And I grew up without internet...
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      Ted's uncle?
      Trea's grandpa ?
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        I was listening to, I think it was Radio Lab on NPR a couple of weeks back and they were doing a story about trying to find Einstein's brain. It apparently went missing right after his autopsy and had been a mystery for a while. Some magazine editor tasked a rookie reporter with finding it back in the early 80s so he went looking. I instantly understood that he couldn't google the case or email questions... but it took a while to realize that once he had a name of the pathologist who conducted the autopsy (culled from microfiche news clippings) how hard it would be to track the guy down. And I grew up without internet...
        I think Einstein's brain is somewhere in my garage. Do you have the name of the rookie reporter ?
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          I think Einstein's brain is somewhere in my garage. Do you have the name of the rookie reporter ?
          I think he was an editor at Wired Magazine now...

Career
          Levy is writer and Editor at Large for Wired.[1] He was previously chief technology writer and a senior editor for Newsweek. Levy has had articles published in Harper's, Macworld, The New York Times Magazine, The New Yorker, Premiere, and Rolling Stone. He is regarded as a prominent and respected critic of Apple Inc. In July 2004, Levy wrote a cover story (which also featured an interview with Apple CEO Steve Jobs) which unveiled the 4th generation of the iPod to the world before Apple had officially done so.[citation needed]

In 1984, he wrote a book called Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution, in which he described a "hacker ethic", which became a guideline to understanding how computers have advanced into the machines that we know and use today. He identified this hacker ethic to consist of key points such as that all information is free, and that this information should be used to "change life for the better".

Levy won the "Computer Press Association Award" for a report he co-wrote in 1998 on the Year 2000 problem.

Levy was a contributor to Stewart Brand's Whole Earth Software Catalog, first published in 1984.

In 1978, Steven Levy rediscovered Albert Einstein's brain in the office of the pathologist who removed and preserved it.[2]

Levy received his bachelor's degree from Temple University and earned a master's degree in literature from Pennsylvania State University.[3] He lives in New York City with his wife, Pulitzer Prize winner Teresa Carpenter, and son.

Comment

I think he was an editor at Wired Magazine now...

Career
            Levy is writer and Editor at Large for Wired.[1] He was previously chief technology writer and a senior editor for Newsweek. Levy has had articles published in Harper's, Macworld, The New York Times Magazine, The New Yorker, Premiere, and Rolling Stone. He is regarded as a prominent and respected critic of Apple Inc. In July 2004, Levy wrote a cover story (which also featured an interview with Apple CEO Steve Jobs) which unveiled the 4th generation of the iPod to the world before Apple had officially done so.[citation needed]

In 1984, he wrote a book called Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution, in which he described a "hacker ethic", which became a guideline to understanding how computers have advanced into the machines that we know and use today. He identified this hacker ethic to consist of key points such as that all information is free, and that this information should be used to "change life for the better".

Levy won the "Computer Press Association Award" for a report he co-wrote in 1998 on the Year 2000 problem.

Levy was a contributor to Stewart Brand's Whole Earth Software Catalog, first published in 1984.

In 1978, Steven Levy rediscovered Albert Einstein's brain in the office of the pathologist who removed and preserved it.[2]

Levy received his bachelor's degree from Temple University and earned a master's degree in literature from Pennsylvania State University.[3] He lives in New York City with his wife, Pulitzer Prize winner Teresa Carpenter, and son.
            I let him know he can come pickup the brain anytime
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I let him know he can come pickup the brain anytime
              he can rerediscover it.

Comment

he can rerediscover it.
                Most of it anyway...i got hungry and there wasnt much in the house
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Really weird to see football.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Really weird to see football.
                    Even weirder to see NBC sell the KC lineman/doctor opting out as a feel good story, when he said he didn't want to play because he could spread covid.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Why do people rent hotel rooms to drink and talk loudly? And why are they next door ? Can't they do this at home?
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Why do people rent hotel rooms to drink and talk loudly? And why are they next door ? Can't they do this at home?
                        Only if they live next to you i guess

Comment

Why do people rent hotel rooms to drink and talk loudly? And why are they next door ? Can't they do this at home?
                          Wait...you deal with the same people I do?
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Sorry I will turn my hearing aid up next time.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              Wait...you deal with the same people I do?
                              wait, you and feral live 2 houses apart?

Comment

• Started playing GTA V last night and only made it 30 minutes before I couldn't take the language anymore. Not sure if I'll go back

Comment

Working...
                                X