No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I watched the NY Times’ timeline of events regarding the Floyd murder. It is just unbelievable to watch them so callously take a mans life. Careful, it’s a tough watch: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/31/u...ation.amp.html
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• so, while the rest of the world burns, everything keeps coming up Millhouse. Got offered a full-time gig at merck. Money is better than I've ever made, strong culture of work-life balance, great benefits (they still offer a pension!?!?). Plus, I feel like the company is pretty decent. Patients over profit, strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, both internally and world-wide. Pretty happy.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        so, while the rest of the world burns, everything keeps coming up Millhouse. Got offered a full-time gig at merck. Money is better than I've ever made, strong culture of work-life balance, great benefits (they still offer a pension!?!?). Plus, I feel like the company is pretty decent. Patients over profit, strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, both internally and world-wide. Pretty happy.
        Congrats!

Comment

so, while the rest of the world burns, everything keeps coming up Millhouse. Got offered a full-time gig at merck. Money is better than I've ever made, strong culture of work-life balance, great benefits (they still offer a pension!?!?). Plus, I feel like the company is pretty decent. Patients over profit, strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, both internally and world-wide. Pretty happy.
          Congratulations, that's great news.

Just don't succumb to rabies in the mean time.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            Just don't succumb to rabies in the mean time.
            eh, this just bolsters jen's wrongful death suit.

Comment

I have close friends who work for them, and they really like how it's run. I mean, they even complement senior management, which I don't hear very often.

Just make sure you can work from home on "Bring your dog to work" day.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Congrats!
                  i'll have to get you to explain pensions to me at some point.

Comment

• Merck’s actions regarding the disease river blindness were very commendable. Congrats on the new job!
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Has the stock market just completely uncoupled from reality at this point?

Comment

• HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRAE!!!

text so my message doesn't get lower cased

Comment

Has the stock market just completely uncoupled from reality at this point?
                          It's completely bonkers.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Yes, it's insane. It seems to be pricing in a full rebound already, so if anything were to change, it could come crashing back down pretty quickly.

Comment

I'm going to mildly disagree with revo on this one. I agree with the part that some significant bad news could still move the market down a lot - 15-20%. However, there's a lot out there that likely indicates very well for a Fortune 500 or premier NASDAQ company - energy prices are low and will likely stay low for a very long time, the savings rate has increased a great deal, and the perception is that once shutdowns/lockdowns are eased, consumer confidence will rise. Companies well-placed in Asia, other than China, see incredible growth opportunity.

My POV is for a change, the market is actually taking a longer term view rather than reacting to issues right in front of their nose.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                                there's a lot out there that likely indicates very well for a Fortune 500 or premier NASDAQ company - energy prices are low and will likely stay low for a very long time, the savings rate has increased a great deal, and the perception is that once shutdowns/lockdowns are eased, consumer confidence will rise.
                                I agree. And I'd add that the extended lockdown knocked out a large number of mom and pop shops, removing competition for the top end companies.

Comment

Working...
                                X