No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California is number two among the states in mushroom revenue, at $217 million, which does not surprise me, given all the mushroom farms that I used to drive past in Gilroy. But can anyone guess the number one state? I would have had no idea.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• I can't think of anywhere that does more Shrooms than California.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        According to the USDA, Texas has the most land in "farms". I put "farms" in quotes because the fact that Montana is second tells you all you need to know.

The official definition is:
        A farm is “any place from which $1,000 or more of agricultural products were produced and sold, or normally would have been sold, during the year.” Government payments are included in sales. Ranches, institutional farms, experimental and research farms, and Indian Reservations are included as farms. Places with the entire acreage enrolled in the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP), Wetlands Reserve Program (WRP), and other government conservation programs are counted as farms.

In terms of revenue, California was the leading agricultural state in 2018, with $49.8 billion in receipts. Iowa was second at $27.5 billion, and the rest of the top 10 was as follows:
        Texas $22.0b
        Nebraska $21.3b
        Minnesota $17.3b
        Illinois $16.8b
        Kansas $16.0b
        North Carolina $11.1b
        Wisconsin $11.0b
        Indiana $10.5b

I think that list probably comports more with people's idea of farm production than the measure of area under "farm" production.

https://data.ers.usda.gov/reports.aspx?ID=17844
        I am sure land in farms is inflated by large amounts of ranch area, which isn't quite what we often think about as farms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          California is also the sole producer for a lot of specialty products. For example, all $63 million in artichokes and all $33 million in kiwifruit produced in 2018 in the United States came from California.
          We need some heat maps for all the agri talk
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          ---------------------------------------------
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• I could have told you North Dakota (and Manitoba) were big canola producers. I had no idea western Oklahoma was also a canola hotspot.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Michiganders are quite the picklers, apparently!

Comment

• And heyelander lives in pickle country, as well.

Comment

Comment

• Beware the untamed blueberry!

Comment

Comment

• It appears Washington is a bigger pear producer than I realized.

Comment

Comment

• Offered with no comment.

Comment

Working...
                                X