*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    You are getting caught up in the semantics and completely whiffing on the point.

Modern athletes, i.e. baseball players who make on average $4 million a year are about as far from "servants" as it gets. They are the masters. They are a business of their own. They own mansions and have maids and nannies and many of them likely can't tell you the price of milk.

This isn't protecting the little guy, that's a joke.

This is whiny privileged rich guys arguing with whiny privileged rich guys.

Not sure why you are getting so bogged down in what percentage of a team they own. Do you own 5% of a major US sports franchise? Does anyone you know or associate with? I don't think so.
    I only own 4%
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      I only own 4%
      Is it the top 4% or the bottom 4% ?
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

You are getting caught up in the semantics and completely whiffing on the point.

Modern athletes, i.e. baseball players who make on average $4 million a year are about as far from "servants" as it gets. They are the masters. They are a business of their own. They own mansions and have maids and nannies and many of them likely can't tell you the price of milk.

Not sure why you are getting so bogged down in what percentage of a team they own. Do you own 5% of a major US sports franchise? Does anyone you know or associate with? I don't think so.
        I own 17 shares of the Braves, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          Be careful with HOI4 and EU4 ... even on sale EU4 with all DLC's is well over $100 and probably approaching $300 off-sale

I was debating getting all the DLC's in last summer's steam sale. I balked.
          Of all the games I have ever played, I’ve only bought the DLC for one game (Sniper Elite 4),so I’m not too concerned about that. But yes, I assume that’s part of the reason for the deep discount.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
            I own 17 shares of the Braves, lol.

So you agree that it doesn't make sense to call mlb players "servants"? That was the discussion point.

Comment

So that was the entire point? Bene, I believe started that one, and he was just using some archaic legal terminology. Master/servant is now usually referred to as employer/employee, but I think a few states use the old terminology. I had no idea we were arguing about this silly point about old legal terminology. Baseball players are certainly employees, as are CEO's, etc. I am not sure what the fact that former players owning small shares of teams or teams with little value (or none after Piazza gets through with them, lol; he must have learned business acumen from Mets ownership) has to do with that. And I would say it is mostly privileged rich guys, some of whom are whiny (we haven't heard from the vast majority of players) arguing with privileged even richer guys, more or less.

Comment

• Whether or not it makes sense, that’s the terminology appropriate for employer - employee relationships.
                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                  Whether or not it makes sense, that’s the terminology appropriate for employer - employee relationships.
                  As noted above, it is a bit archaic, although some states (perhaps yours; living where I do, there is almost no state employment law at all, pure at will) still use it.

Comment

• You guys are stuck discussing semantics again.

And it's definitely relevant that players show up on the owners' side of the table.

Oh well I'll bow out, not a big deal and I'm not invested in this one to any reasonable extent. My thoughts are that this is not a "little guy vs the man" situation since both sides are vastly wealthy but I understand if others disagree. Carry on!

Comment

• there's like a whole page of posts without anyone proffering what DLC stands for... Is this thread broken?
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• FYI ... the sortable player sheet for the upcoming VD15 is available if you want to do some preparation. Go to the draft thread.

If you notice any problems with the information, let me know. We are using the exact same data for the SS.

J

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          FYI ... the sortable player sheet for the upcoming VD15 is available if you want to do some preparation. Go to the draft thread.

If you notice any problems with the information, let me know. We are using the exact same data for the SS.

J
                          prep …. ar …. a …. tion???
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

You guys are stuck discussing semantics again.

And it's definitely relevant that players show up on the owners' side of the table.

Oh well I'll bow out, not a big deal and I'm not invested in this one to any reasonable extent. My thoughts are that this is not a "little guy vs the man" situation since both sides are vastly wealthy but I understand if others disagree. Carry on!
                            But who got caught up arguing the servant point? I didn't even know that was the basis of discussion, and it was purely semantics. I don't think there is any real argument left here if you bow out, so maybe we can all play with the new toy Johnnya has brought us!

Comment

• So, back to civ v. I am doing ok this game....need to work on diplomacy. Any tips. I have 2 or 3 city state allies. Got the unhappiness bug briefly, that sucks. Had the cash to buy a zoo/cilosseum and made some poor trades to get resources. What else should i do ?
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• DLC = downloadable content = extra stuff for the games that you have to pay extra for after you've already bought the game

CIV V - always build cities near resources. Other civs will only trade theirs fairly to you when they have "extra", i.e. 2 or more of a certain kind of resource. Always try to get a mercantile city state as an ally, as that will really help the happiness
                                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Working...
                                X