No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how about we start Monday, January 7. Decades.

1) KO or no KO ?
    2) Draft order random or some variation based on VD12 ?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Added the KO Poll.

-----------------------

As for the Draft order. Let's just do the Pre-Draft Draft for now. We'll see how it goes for this draft.

This means, once the draft order is set, we allow each player to choose their draft slot in turn.

So for instance, we randomly assign the draft order as normal. We go through the randomly assigned list and let each player choose their slot. Let's assume KS rolls the first draft slot and Frae the second. KS for some abhorrent reason, choose to draft in the 14th slot instead. 14th would then be locked down for him. Frae being the next to draft, could then choose to take the first draft slot if he wanted (or 4th or 9th etc etc). We do this until all slots are assigned.

We surely don't need a poll for this? Having a high draft slot is almost always a better thing, and this gives you a chance to get a higher slot even if you rolled a lower position.

Comment

I fired off a message to SeaDogStat.

Can anyone recall anyone we asked prior to VD12?

Comment

It seemed like reverse standings was the preference for draft slot so why did we just abandon it?
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            It seemed like reverse standings was the preference for draft slot so why did we just abandon it?
            I generally only poll boilerplate additions (WC, KO etc) or things that gain traction. That discussion kinda petered away

We have debated this before. In general, reversing the finishing order isn't viable because people would just tank if they're losing in order to get a better draft slot the next time around. Incentivising tanking could damage the of the integrity of the draft. Plus, the draft would get stale, as people would get perma-locked into a region of the draft. Players that regular finish high, always drafting at the end, players who often finish lower, always getting the top slots. Starting with a clean slate is best for everyone, plus isn't it more fun not knowing ... maybe getting the 1st or 2nd slot?

Personally I wouldn't support this, even as a one off ... I like the random start. Bringing back the pre-Draft Draft gives a little flexibility back to the player, and effects nothing.

I could get behind something minor like giving the bottom 2 finishers in VD12 the top 2 slots. But there's also the sense of "what's the point" ... it can only ever be a one off.

If people want this polled up, I can. But I'd like to see some consensus (debate), because I try to avoid polls with more than 2 options.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              I generally only poll boilerplate additions (WC, KO etc) or things that gain traction. That discussion kinda petered away

We have debated this before. In general, reversing the finishing order isn't viable because people would just tank if they're losing in order to get a better draft slot the next time around. Incentivising tanking could damage the of the integrity of the draft. Plus, the draft would get stale, as people would get perma-locked into a region of the draft. Players that regular finish high, always drafting at the end, players who often finish lower, always getting the top slots. Starting with a clean slate is best for everyone, plus isn't it more fun not knowing ... maybe getting the 1st or 2nd slot?

Personally I wouldn't support this, even as a one off ... I like the random start. Bringing back the pre-Draft Draft gives a little flexibility back to the player, and effects nothing.

I could get behind something minor like giving the bottom 2 finishers in VD12 the top 2 slots. But there's also the sense of "what's the point" ... it can only ever be a one off.

If people want this polled up, I can. But I'd like to see some consensus (debate), because I try to avoid polls with more than 2 options.
              I think you're the only who's voiced opposition so at minimum a poll would be appropriate. No one tanked this draft to get a better draft slot.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                I think you're the only who's voiced opposition so at minimum a poll would be appropriate. No one tanked this draft to get a better draft slot.
                Because it wasn't an option.

I'll put a poll.

Comment

I prefer random draft orders. I also can’t see the actual polls on mobile, for whatever reason. Fuckin’ revo, I swear.
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                    I prefer random draft orders. I also can’t see the actual polls on mobile, for whatever reason. Fuckin’ revo, I swear.
                    LOL, I know it! That fuckety fuckface fuck!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      LOL, I know it! That fuckety fuckface fuck!
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Because it wasn't an option.

I'll put a poll.
                        Eh, I was doing predictions since round 8 but when I realised I couldn't finish better than 3rd I decided to tank on the off chance DMT suggested this.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          Eh, I was doing predictions since round 8 but when I realised I couldn't finish better than 3rd I decided to tank on the off chance DMT suggested this.
                          Maybe if you stopped galavanting during a draft?!?!?! Priorities.

Comment

Before we get started, does anyone have a version of the SS with most of the eligible 2010's hitter and pitcher stats already inputted?

I only inputted the data that Revo gave me at the start of the draft, and there was a lot missing. Can someone send me up to date CP, BYP, CH and BYH sheets?

Thx

Comment

Before we get started, does anyone have a version of the SS with most of the eligible 2010's hitter and pitcher stats already inputted?

I only inputted the data that Revo gave me at the start of the draft, and there was a lot missing. Can someone send me up to date CP, BYP, CH and BYH sheets?

Thx
                              I have the data filled in for the names that were already in your version of the spreadsheet. I didn't add any new names beyond that. I can strip out my formulas and share that spreadsheet if it's helpful.
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                                I have the data filled in for the names that were already in your version of the spreadsheet. I didn't add any new names beyond that. I can strip out my formulas and share that spreadsheet if it's helpful.
                                I seem to be missing some BY's fro the newer players. Just 2010's would be good.

Comment

Working...
                                X