*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Grove and Vance are a pretty deadly combo of ratio-killing 1920s and 30s dudes. Decent BYs in terrible decades, though. Hopefully Christy Canyon can keep my pitching afloat enough to compete. But, damn, how good was Carl Hubbell? His numbers are pretty ridiculous for such a terrible era to pitch in.

Some Lefty Grove trivia --- he won 199 games in the 1930s decade. His 1931 season was the last in which a pitcher won 30+ games until 1968! In 1938 he had 30 straight games without a loss and won 20 in a row. His career .680 win percentage remains the highest of all time for pitchers with 240+ wins.

I remembered that someone struck out a bunch of guys in a row in the all star game. Apparently it was Carl Hubbel. I remember when I used to love the all star game as a kid since I could only see one game a week. Doesnt seem so special now
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Just out of curiousity, did any of you guys not collect baseball cards when you were kids. i had a couple fro 1972, none from 1973, then hit it hard core in 1974. It took me all year to get a Hank Aaron card and my brother put it in his pocket and bent it. Same thing he did with a Jerrel Wilson all pro football card. Damn him.
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        Just out of curiousity, did any of you guys not collect baseball cards when you were kids. i had a couple fro 1972, none from 1973, then hit it hard core in 1974. It took me all year to get a Hank Aaron card and my brother put it in his pocket and bent it. Same thing he did with a Jerrel Wilson all pro football card. Damn him.
        I collected cards from 1977 until around 1985.

In 1995, my buddy, a baseball card dealer, said it would be a great idea if I sold my 1960s era stars — I had Mantles, Aarons, Mays, you name it — and take the proceeds to buy the soaring hot cards of the day, like Hideo Nomo rookie cards. Ummmmm.....yeah. That didn’t work out so well.

Comment

• I took the baton from Revo in 1985 and bailed around 1992. Peak value. Uh yea.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            I took the baton from Revo in 1985 and bailed around 1992. Peak value. Uh yea.
            Yeah the 80's were kind of insane. Love 70's cards though. Still have cases of 85 and 87 topps in my garage. Probably can burn them if i run out of firewood.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Yeah the 80's were kind of insane. Love 70's cards though. Still have cases of 85 and 87 topps in my garage. Probably can burn them if i run out of firewood.
              Yeah, I recently gave my boxes of worthless 80s cards to my son. I also have an unopened 1987 Topps set that’s probably worth less than what I paid for it 31 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Yeah, I recently gave my boxes of worthless 80s cards to my son. I also have an unopened 1987 Topps set that’s probably worth less than what I paid for it 31 years ago.
                I did this all wrong too. I have an unopened 89 upper deck set with Griffey rookie that is almost certainly worth less than what I paid.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                  I did this all wrong too. I have an unopened 89 upper deck set with Griffey rookie that is almost certainly worth less than what I paid.
                  looking back, collecting baseball cards was so much better before it all became about money. I thought Beckett monthly was the coolest thing when it came out But in retrospect it kind of sucked.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Just saw a 1987 Topps Bo Jackson Rookie card on Ebay for $650. I think I have one, but it's got the gum mark on the back...

Get the best deals on Sports Trading Card Singles when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands | affordable prices.

I started in the late 80's when Ricky Jordan and Ron Jones were rookies for the phillies... collected hard until the late 90s, and have some sporadically since. I still like opening packs. It was great when the warehouse stores would sell boxes. Use to find them at Price Club back in the day.

wait... you asked if any of us didn't collect cards...
                    Last edited by heyelander; 01-20-2019, 12:38 AM.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      Just saw a 1987 Topps Bo Jackson Rookie card on Ebay for $650. I think I have one, but it's got the gum mark on the back...

Get the best deals on Sports Trading Card Singles when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands | affordable prices.

I started in the late 80's when Ricky Jordan and Ron Jones were rookies for the phillies... collected hard until the late 90s, and have some sporadically since. I still like opening packs. It was great when the warehouse stores would sell boxes. Use to find them at Price Club back in the day.

I guess you failed the test
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• seriously, I need to log in like 5 times to make a post. And I don't think most of my posts are worth it.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post

Funny how the guy listing it for $650 is on the front page of the search, but if you click about two times you will find it for five bucks. I seem to recall some random card of a nobody on sale for several thousand dollars. I guess it just takes one sucker.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Funny how the guy listing it for $650 is on the front page of the search, but if you click about two times you will find it for five bucks. I seem to recall some random card of a nobody on sale for several thousand dollars. I guess it just takes one sucker.
                            shhhh... I'm really hoping revo clicks on it...

Comment

• okay, so it's on Amazon for $1.25

Comment

seriously, I need to log in like 5 times to make a post. And I don't think most of my posts are worth it.
                                I have no idea why this is. Browser? Have you cleared cookies? I don't think it's a vBulletin issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X