Page 41 of 363 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: *** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    Thanks...although it's more a reflection of my lack of Excel abilities than anything else.

lol...my excel abilities are modest, but combined with a few hours of work seem to make do. I really wish I new how to manipulate all the numbers better and more efficiently. I have ideas that would work and would help, I just don't know how to implement them. I fear i'm sounding like Nullnor, I'm going for some Beefaroni now

Big Leaguer
    I actually don't either. It feels like more time than I want to spend to do it right to the extent that I'd want it to be, so I don't do it at all. That feels kind of counterproductive when I say it.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    lol...my excel abilities are modest, but combined with a few hours of work seem to make do. I really wish I new how to manipulate all the numbers better and more efficiently. I have ideas that would work and would help, I just don't know how to implement them. I fear i'm sounding like Nullnor, I'm going for some Beefaroni now
    There are two ways to do it, as far as I know: the 'player rater' style, which ranks players above or below a baseline. I don't like that because it doesn't weight the amount of ABs or IP properly for the ratio stats.

I use a points based system that gives pts to every stat, including ABs and IP, and then multiplies it by either BA/OBP or ERA/WHIP. I then add both the pts for Career & BY together (BY is given a multiple to make it even to the Career #), and then give the overall # a multiplier based on Letter/Era/Decade/Position rarity. I've tinkered with the formula & multipliers for the last 15 years, seems to work OK now.

Not sure I've ever drafted Cap Anson before ... maybe once.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Not sure I've ever drafted Cap Anson before ... maybe once.
    I was planning to take him because I assumed you'd take Hoffman since you did in VD10.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

It's in the rules, but a quick reminder for players who haven't done decades before:

1870's and 1880's are combined for Pitchers.

So 1870's are super weak for hitting and basically super strong for pitching because it's rolled into the 1880's. You don't need to be looking for an 1870's pitcher.

----

It's one hitter from every Decade (15 total).

12 pitchers, that is 12 from 14 decades (with 1870's and 1880's counting as one).

Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    I was planning to take him because I assumed you'd take Hoffman since you did in VD10.
    I gave real thought to Hoffman over Rivera because the BY is so obvious for him. With Mo I spilt the middle of by saves and by ratios with 2005
    If you fail to plan you plan to fail

12TO Champion 2007 2008 and 2010

Pittsburgh Proud

So when you try to hurl the word 'liberal' at my feet, as if it were dirty, something to run away from, something that I should be ashamed of, it won't work, because I will pick up that label and wear it as a badge of honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Minor thing but Rule 1a you can edit 2010-11 to be 2010-18.

Rule 3, do we still need a team career IP minimum with multi scoring?

Rule 4, our draft order selection process is slightly different, probably not that important to edit, though.

Rule 5a, OBP replaces AVG.

Rule 5b, are we doing "Multi plus 1" scoring?
    Can I bug you on this again, Johnny?

(except Rule 3, which we're keeping)
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

Have we ever discussed replacing HRs with slugging %?
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Can I bug you on this again, Johnny?

(except Rule 3, which we're keeping)
    We have a career IP minimum 18000 IP (Rule 3). Am I misunderstanding?

3. There will be a team career IP requirement of 18000 IP. Failure to meet that minimum requirement will result in one point in career ERA and career WHIP. The career ERA and career WHIP of the penalized team will be used as normal for the purposes of determining the standings of the other teams in those categories, i.e., the penalty will be applied after the standings are determined for those categories.