*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Wow, this is all new to me. Never heard of this but I've been to Skagit County many times.
    The novel follows the adventures of John Paul Ziller and his wife Amanda—lovable prophetess and promiscuous earth mother, inarguably the central protagonist—who open "Captain Kendrick's Memorial Hot Dog Wildlife Preserve," a combination hot dog stand and zoo along a highway in Skagit County, Washington. Other characters in this rather oddball novel include Mon Cul the baboon; Marx Marvelous, an educated man from the east coast; and L. Westminster "Plucky" Purcell, a former college football star and sometime dope dealer who accidentally infiltrates a group of Catholic monks working as assassins for the Vatican. In so doing Plucky discovers a secret of monumental proportions dating to the very beginning of Christianity.
    Drug Monks Become Lethal
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      Drug Monks Become Lethal
      Marx Marvelous...simply mahvelous
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Wow, this is all new to me. Never heard of this but I've been to Skagit County many times.
        The novel follows the adventures of John Paul Ziller and his wife Amanda—lovable prophetess and promiscuous earth mother, inarguably the central protagonist—who open "Captain Kendrick's Memorial Hot Dog Wildlife Preserve," a combination hot dog stand and zoo along a highway in Skagit County, Washington. Other characters in this rather oddball novel include Mon Cul the baboon; Marx Marvelous, an educated man from the east coast; and L. Westminster "Plucky" Purcell, a former college football star and sometime dope dealer who accidentally infiltrates a group of Catholic monks working as assassins for the Vatican. In so doing Plucky discovers a secret of monumental proportions dating to the very beginning of Christianity.
        So is this just the Davinci Code with a BigBeef linkage ?
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

DairyQueen makes better lactic frozen treats than Baskin Robbins, for my money's worth, though.
          Lactic Hawt tawk ! Coconut almond fudge sundae with hot fudge is stellar. It probably costs like 8 bucks now, but I used to get a free treat every shift I slaved for the B-R overlords. DQ makes blizzards like no one else. Either way you can't go wrong
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• How have I not heard about all this ?
            In 1966, Robbins was contacted and then met with Doubleday's West Coast Editor, Luthor Nichols, who asked Robbins about writing a book on Northwest art. Instead Robbins told Nichols he wanted to write a novel and pitched the idea of what was to become Another Roadside Attraction.[12]
            In 1967, Robbins moved to South Bend, Washington, where he wrote his first novel. In 1970, Robbins moved to La Conner, Washington, and it was at his home on Second Street that he subsequently authored nine books (although, in the late 1990s, he spent two years living on the Swinomish Indian reservation).

Tom Robbins was born the same year as my dad, and 1966 was the year I was born. I've driven thru the Swinomish Indian reservation many times.

so have any of you actually read one of his books ?
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

so have any of you actually read one of his books ?
              I've read most of his books. They're uniformly awesome.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Marx Marvelous...simply mahvelous
                He named himself that to combine the two names he thought would piss right wingers off the most --- Marx, for obvious reasons, and Marvelous because of the ubiquitous usage of the word in the gay community, at least back in the 70s.

Skinny Legs and All is another Tom Robbins masterpiece. You may have heard of Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, which is also a great book. Another Roadside Attraction is probably my fave of his, though.
                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                  He named himself that to combine the two names he thought would piss right wingers off the most --- Marx, for obvious reasons, and Marvelous because of the ubiquitous usage of the word in the gay community, at least back in the 70s.

Skinny Legs and All is another Tom Robbins masterpiece. You may have heard of Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, which is also a great book. Another Roadside Attraction is probably my fave of his, though.
                  Ok. U have me convinced. I need to pick up some of his books
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• anyone else got a cat that likes to eat plastic bags and plastic charging cords ? My daughter was in a panic today because her cat chewed up her charger for her laptop. and she is in the middle of homework and college applications. $90 bucks at best buy since she was in hurry and couldn't order from our Amazonian overlords. Every time something like this happens I try to tell myself how lucky I am that $90 isn't a big deal for me like it would be for many Americans. But that cat is starting to make me mad.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

anyone else got a cat that likes to eat plastic bags and plastic charging cords ? My daughter was in a panic today because her cat chewed up her charger for her laptop. and she is in the middle of homework and college applications. $90 bucks at best buy since she was in hurry and couldn't order from our Amazonian overlords. Every time something like this happens I try to tell myself how lucky I am that $90 isn't a big deal for me like it would be for many Americans. But that cat is starting to make me mad.
                      delightful mammal butchers 'lectric cord
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Delightful mammaries, beautiful lactation
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Delightful mammaries, beautiful lactation
                          too bad the cat is a dude. Not that you couldn't give it a try.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

too bad the cat is a dude. Not that you couldn't give it a try.
                            Gregory Focker would give it a go
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Gregory Focker would give it a go
                              I have nipples, Greg. Can you milk me?

Comment

• Reading TW just makes me feel all sunshiney and hopeful for America.

Comment

Working...
                                X