*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frae View Post
    Really? I thought you were fine he is way out of line on the squad more so than usual.
    Plus I was pretty dismissive of JJ because I was too tired of his shtick to argue something that we already had 12 pages of posts discussing, just so he could claim that both sides are guilty.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I think some who haven't followed the Trump threads might be surprised at the level of annoyance with JJ. If you've only interacted with him in the baseball threads and haven't had to put up with his TDS schtick, you might have no idea. No one from the conservative side wants to present a rational defense of Trump and the Republican Party anymore, probably because there isn't one that stands up to the slightest scrutiny. When all they want to do is play rhetorical tricks and games, it has taken the whole discourse down the drain with it.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• And stupid me for thinking that Vandelay was coming to contribute something positive to the discussion. It's just more "I liked it better when the brown people were quiet and didn't trouble me."
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          And stupid me for thinking that Vandelay was coming to contribute something positive to the discussion. It's just more "I liked it better when the brown people were quiet and didn't trouble me."
          I can’t understand how people find these four women worse than Trump. I’ve read their interviews and seen their quotes and I just can’t anymore. I know conservatives will disagree with them on policy but criticizing the president and suggesting changes is what every party out of power does.

Comment

I can’t understand how people find these four women worse than Trump. I’ve read their interviews and seen their quotes and I just can’t anymore. I know conservatives will disagree with them on policy but criticizing the president and suggesting changes is what every party out of power does.
            I would expect their ideas to be very unpopular with conservatives and many centrists and Dems for that matter. But i am trying hard to find why there is such belief that they are racists. One think I noted is there are a lot of things on twitter, most of which I think are false, but that may be driving some of it. WWho knows, I keep asking for examples and no one ever provides any
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              I would expect their ideas to be very unpopular with conservatives and many centrists and Dems for that matter. But i am trying hard to find why there is such belief that they are racists. One think I noted is there are a lot of things on twitter, most of which I think are false, but that may be driving some of it. WWho knows, I keep asking for examples and no one ever provides any
              I don't know either, but I wonder how much of it is what Trump himself and also Fox News are saying. If your source of truth comes from those two sources, then you are going to have the impression that these are awful people, and you will have seen cherry-picked clips taken out of context to support it. I would think JJ would know better and have more varied news sources, but he seems to revel in defending Trump these days, so who knows.

Comment

• In my opinion it comes from
                1) they are promoting ideas that are uncomfortable for a large group of conservative people
                2) they are able to articulate these ideas more eloquently and more passionately than many liberal advocates in the past
                3) these ideas have gotten a lot of traction beyond just the typical "liberal elites", which increases the discomfort for conservatives
                4) they aren't afraid to take on the usual sacred cows, like Wall Street, impeachment/the President, Israel, patriotism/the military, etc.
                5) they aren't backing down or afraid to confront criticism, which, since they are women and minorities, makes them seem even more threatening to conservatives who aren't used to having to listen to women and minorities
                6) the right-wing media demonizes them

Rinse and repeat.

Comment

was listening to some christian politics show the other day and they were talking about Trump's tweets about the 4 congresswomen. All 3 hosts were saying that while they vehemently disagree with the women's politics that they disagreed with the tweets and thought Trump had gone about it the wrong way. The one host was saying that she didn't think the tweets were representative of Christians or conservatives and that no one she knew would support racism or the anti-discourse messages contained in them .... then they opened the phones and every one of their listeners (except me I guess) was 100% behind the president.

At this point I really wanted to write the one host and ask her to reevaluate where the leader of her party was taking the conservative movement in this country, because if she thinks he is a lone voice in the wilderness, she is delusional, and if she is going to argue that he's not a "real conservative" then he is doing irreparable harm to the movement and the country.
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I did find it interesting that the two people who claimed the squad was racist said it was from watching their press conferences. I don't think I've ever watched a politicians press conference. Does anyone think these guys decided to watch press conferences from "the Squad", then half way thru thought, "Damn this is racist !" Just found that bizarre.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• It's probably the "all lives matter" mentality of racism. I heard that from some of the callers as well .... "we're all just americans, why do we need to be african-americans or muslim-americans or any hyphen americans?!?!" It totally ignores the systemic racial disparities in the country, but the moment you say "<group> is being left behind and we need to do a better job of lifting them up" you are a racist because you aren't lifting everyone up.
                      Last edited by heyelander; 07-22-2019, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure the escalation is 100% attributable to putting one of the most flame throwing posters in as a mod!

What were you thinking Revo!?!? What were you thinking?

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          I'm pretty sure the escalation is 100% attributable to putting one of the most flame throwing posters in as a mod!

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            I'm pretty sure the escalation is 100% attributable to putting one of the most flame throwing posters in as a mod!

Man, it's just great in there right now. I think I need to put a few people back on ignore. It's pretty amazing the little infractions they come up with to claim someone is spewing vile and hate. Probably less than .0001 percent of what they have ever said, written or posted, but hey, it's just shows how vile and hateful they are.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              Man, it's just great in there right now. I think I need to put a few people back on ignore. It's pretty amazing the little infractions they come up with to claim someone is spewing vile and hate. Probably less than .0001 percent of what they have ever said, written or posted, but hey, it's just shows how vile and hateful they are.
                              So far we have Tlaib saying motherfucker on her election night win and Omar tweeting, It's all about the Benjamins in a tweet thread about why elected officials were defending Israel. Trump is more offensive than that while on the toilet each morning when he tweets.

Comment

So far we have Tlaib saying motherfucker on her election night win and Omar tweeting, It's all about the Benjamins in a tweet thread about why elected officials were defending Israel. Trump is more offensive than that while on the toilet each morning when he tweets.
                                I hadn't posted there in a long time, and don't plan to again soon. I am fine with people labeling others as racist and homophobic and such and not offering anything to back it up. I just can't bear to see references to MFer. It's just so file. Too much for me to handle.
                                Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 07-22-2019, 08:04 PM.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X