Page 2 of 366 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: *** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

I'm in. Would still love to do a franchise draft at some point.

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by mjl View Post
    For what it's worth, note that on the standings tab, if we were using additive scoring, you're right in the middle. I'll leave it to someone competent to tell you what you did wrong, but my guess would be (a) if you're dumping that many pitching categories you really shouldn't have twos in the hitting side also, and (b) as much as he maybe shouldn't have been available at the time you took him Warren Spahn is contributing approximately nothing to your team as one of your wild-cards. Replacing him with Bill Upham (career 142 IP, 7 W, 54 K; BY 121 IP, 6 W, 46 K) costs you three points in the standings, and replacing him with some closer who had a good career is worth about +7. In multiplicative scoring, turning those twos into threes is a big deal and locking up those 15s at the top of a category is almost irrelevant compared to 14s and 13s.
    Thanks! Very good info.

A few things I knew I did wrong:

1) Not valuing closers... basically at all - this comes from my regular roto fantasy experience
    2) No basis for replacement levels. My valuations were off from the start and I knew it, because I did not know where to draw the line for replacement. This specifically hurt me in the ERA/WHIP areas.
    3) General lack of prep/plan. Just winging it for a first run through since I didn't know what I was doing. Wasn't expecting to be very competitive (sounds like an excuse because, hell, it is!) In a typically roto league I use some custom built tools, but to create those tools I wanted to have a better understanding of the game first.

If I go at it again I'll be more prepared.
    Last edited by Ken; 12-21-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    2) No basis for replacement value. My valuations were off from the start and I knew it, because I did not know where to draw the line for replacement value. This specifically hurt me in the ERA/WHIP areas.
    ah that makes sense then. Using a fourth-round pick and one of your precious deadball pitchers on a guy who actively hurts you in all of your ratio categories and doesn't help much in SO just because he has a QUIZY letter is hurting you a lot also. Not that he isn't a reasonable choice in general, but note in VD9 he went in the 12th round. (And note that I spent a 10th round deadball pick on a Z pitcher that wasn't even taken in VD9, so I don't really have room to talk here. I didn't exactly have a plan either.)

And for the record, I don't think I've ever been in the top half of the standings this late before so I assume I'm not going to finish that near the top, and most of these guys have done 10x the VDs I have, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by mjl; 12-21-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by mjl View Post
    Using a fourth-round pick and one of your precious deadball pitchers on a guy who actively hurts you in all of your ratio categories and doesn't help much in SO just because he has a QUIZY letter is hurting you a lot also.
    Hah, you are right, that was a "hey I should really start taking some of these difficult letters" pick.

Thanks! Very good info.

1) Not valuing closers... basically at all - this comes from my regular roto fantasy experience
    2) No basis for replacement levels. My valuations were off from the start and I knew it, because I did not know where to draw the line for replacement. This specifically hurt me in the ERA/WHIP areas.
    3) General lack of prep/plan. Just winging it for a first run through since I didn't know what I was doing. Wasn't expecting to be very competitive (sounds like an excuse because, hell, it is!) In a typically roto league I use some custom built tools, but to create those tools I wanted to have a better understanding of the game first.

I'm not sure that undervaluing closers is hurting you. Unless you grab Rivera or Hoffman early, most teams cobble together saves throughout as there are so many sources of both CY and BY saves available at a variety of letters throughout the draft, especially now that there isn't a restriction on contemporary pitchers. It's good to have a general plan for saves but you can be pretty flexible. Your overall pitching approach was a bit erratic but I actually think you did a great job for your first vintage draft. It takes some time to get acclimated as your brain is used to thinking a certain way from typical roto leagues and this is a whole different thing.

Thanks! Very good info.

You did just fine. As you get more experience you'll better understand the value of letters, positions and eras.

Pitching: You didn't need Spahn, and you overshot your career pitching counting stats a bit. That WC needed to be in hitting. With more experience you could have abandoned career ratios earlier. Also, Jack Quinn is poison medicine.

Hitting: It's tough if you leave a bunch of dud letters and tough-to-fill positions to the end. Eric Young was an error with 1 MH slot already invested in Bonds.

Mostly you're fine.

Rookie League
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    So does this mean MookieTyme, Heyelander and ALTID4 will also participate ? I'm in as well. Would there be any restriction on KO's from a particular decade ?
    I'm moderately offended that you think I am Johnny's alter ego. I have plenty of ego for both of us....Oh, I'm in if you'll have me

In like Heye

Hah, you are right, that was a "hey I should really start taking some of these difficult letters" pick.
    Generally speaking, I like to
    1) leave the difficult letters to late, because mildly better crap doesn't help much more than total crap, and
    2) put the difficult letters into pitching and the good letters into hitting

Those are general rules, to which there are exceptions, but I have seen far too many rookies and/or unsuccessful drafters freak out about having too many difficult letters remaining. You can obviously take it too far the other direction and paint yourself into a corner, but it seems like people's natural tendency is in the direction of trying to swallow a bitter pill while it's a little less bitter. There are a few actually good players like Cy Young and Mel Ott and so forth where it's worth doing that, but taking Eric Young or Mel Queen or Gus Zernial or other actually poor players with a mid-round pick is a mistake.

Having the deadball pitchers included sets the expectation for ratios very differently than we are used to in modern baseball. Nolan Ryan hurts your ratios pretty seriously, for instance, even though a 3.19 ERA seems great in today's game and a 1.25 WHIP doesn't seem that bad.
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

Of course I'm in.