No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it would actually be really fun and interesting to sit down and discuss how everyone does there ratings....but it would sort of ruin the game.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      So Barry Bonds goes 9th eh. That must be nice.
      after my tweaks today I think he got bumped up a bit more. It's really interesting to look at all the historical OBPs
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        it would actually be really fun and interesting to sit down and discuss how everyone does there ratings....but it would sort of ruin the game.
        Going to add 2 sheets to the SS to make it easier for people to do rankings. Should make it more convenient.

Comment

after my tweaks today I think he got bumped up a bit more. It's really interesting to look at all the historical OBPs
          I'm almost done with a first draft of my rankings, which incidentally, will also be the final draft ... because life's too short.

Comment

it would actually be really fun and interesting to sit down and discuss how everyone does there ratings....but it would sort of ruin the game.
            Would it surprise anyone to learn I don't do any rankings?
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I'm almost done with a first draft of my rankings, which incidentally, will also be the final draft ... because life's too short.
              I have more time than VD12 so I'm undergoing a painful decade by decade ranking....which if I had better skills might be a lot easier. But I can at least multi task and watch football so it's ok

Man, ever since I PM'd Bene I have to log in three times to make each post
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Would it surprise anyone to learn I don't do any rankings?
                Did Heyelander hack your account ? If true it is really amazing how well you've done. And makes me think I've wasted a lot of time, lol
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Did Heyelander hack your account ? If true it is really amazing how well you've done. And makes me think I've wasted a lot of time, lol
                  If it makes anyone feel bad I have never done rankings. Sometimes it shows and sometimes I just get lucky.

Comment

Thanks...although it's more a reflection of my lack of Excel abilities than anything else.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                      If it makes anyone feel bad I have never done rankings. Sometimes it shows and sometimes I just get lucky.
                      I can't imagine not doing them. I do my own values for fantasy baseball too and compare them to the values from the usual fantasy sites. Part of it is I think you need to do it to compete, part of it is I just like the excercise and thinking about how best to do valuations. I did my own valuations in my first real fantasy league from 2000-2009 before there was a lot of stuff on the web (at least that I could find).

One interesting dilemma I've seen over and over is how to value saves and stolen bases. I always need to discount them, but don't really understand how to optimize or accurately do this. All the ratios are also hard to value.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        Thanks...although it's more a reflection of my lack of Excel abilities than anything else.

lol...my excel abilities are modest, but combined with a few hours of work seem to make do. I really wish I new how to manipulate all the numbers better and more efficiently. I have ideas that would work and would help, I just don't know how to implement them. I fear i'm sounding like Nullnor, I'm going for some Beefaroni now
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I actually don't either. It feels like more time than I want to spend to do it right to the extent that I'd want it to be, so I don't do it at all. That feels kind of counterproductive when I say it.
                          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

lol...my excel abilities are modest, but combined with a few hours of work seem to make do. I really wish I new how to manipulate all the numbers better and more efficiently. I have ideas that would work and would help, I just don't know how to implement them. I fear i'm sounding like Nullnor, I'm going for some Beefaroni now
                            There are two ways to do it, as far as I know: the 'player rater' style, which ranks players above or below a baseline. I don't like that because it doesn't weight the amount of ABs or IP properly for the ratio stats.

I use a points based system that gives pts to every stat, including ABs and IP, and then multiplies it by either BA/OBP or ERA/WHIP. I then add both the pts for Career & BY together (BY is given a multiple to make it even to the Career #), and then give the overall # a multiplier based on Letter/Era/Decade/Position rarity. I've tinkered with the formula & multipliers for the last 15 years, seems to work OK now.

Comment

• Not sure I've ever drafted Cap Anson before ... maybe once.

Comment

Not sure I've ever drafted Cap Anson before ... maybe once.
                                I was planning to take him because I assumed you'd take Hoffman since you did in VD10.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X