*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    the ability for you all to drop DMBLs into random threads cracks me up to no end... and it's not even that funny.
    I disagree
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      Who, KS?
      Damn meddling, broke-ass losers!
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        if you do, let me know the answer...
        mjl plays at noon, my flight is at 4pm. Sooo....might be able to say hi and catch a few innings
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...police-decals/
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• I'll tell you this: my already jaded outlook on the police has not improved one iota since starting my current line of work.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Man, you really are getting in at the right time again. Going through these 750 player deep drafts gets a person familiar with an awful lot of talent in the bigs. And the Braves have talent galore, particularly in the pitching ranks. Don't get me wrong, their hitters are also studly, but there is an incoming tsunami of elite Braves pitching. Keep at least two or three of those shoulders and elbows alive and you could have the next Braves dynasty on your hands. No pressure, though.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                mjl plays at noon, my flight is at 4pm. Sooo....might be able to say hi and catch a few innings
                yeah, I haven't spent much time on RJ lately - work is just one deadline after another. I miss being a generic coder. Turn this data into that data and go home, that's the life for me.

Anyway. Yeah, noon, Big Rec Field at Golden Gate Park. Maybe we can convince Fresno Bob to show up too. I'll be there around 11; if you have your luggage with you you can probably stay until 1-1:30.
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                  I'll tell you this: my already jaded outlook on the police has not improved one iota since starting my current line of work.
                  Are you familiar with the recent case here in Houston where a police officer lied and made up evidence to get a no-knock warrant that resulted in two innocent people (and their dog) being killed? And the head of the police union said they were keeping a list of anyone who protested and that they would remember and get them back?

Comment

Man, you really are getting in at the right time again. Going through these 750 player deep drafts gets a person familiar with an awful lot of talent in the bigs. And the Braves have talent galore, particularly in the pitching ranks. Don't get me wrong, their hitters are also studly, but there is an incoming tsunami of elite Braves pitching. Keep at least two or three of those shoulders and elbows alive and you could have the next Braves dynasty on your hands. No pressure, though.
                    I was just down in Kissimmee for a week, and it was my first chance to see most of these arms. I knew we had good talent, but I was impressed. For example, Chad Sobotka is a guy that almost no one talks about, and he can really bring it. He was just mowing down the Mets hitters, giving them no chance. I just have to do my part to make 'em all better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      Are you familiar with the recent case here in Houston where a police officer lied and made up evidence to get a no-knock warrant that resulted in two innocent people (and their dog) being killed? And the head of the police union said they were keeping a list of anyone who protested and that they would remember and get them back?
                      Yes

That officer should be tried for felony murder (assuming what he did was a felony). Instead, he'll just get a vacation on the taxpayers' dollar.

Comment

• My son is too young to have this conversation yet, but I just don't know what I'm going to tell him about interacting with the police around here. Our cops made international news for killing citizens and have been operating on (and generally defying) a DoJ consent decree because they're so out of control and the culture is so rotten. Here's what I tell people who are not six years old, though: NEVER willingly speak with the police, ever. You have absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose. Sucks that it has to be that way, but it do.

Comment

• I think fairly highly of our police chief here in Houston (came from Austin, where I thought well of him there, too). But there is such a culture of "defend my blue line" and a bunker mentality, militarization of the police force, and the fact that the police force is a haven for racists and people on power trips, that even if the honest civil servant makes up a majority of the force, that there are too many police officers and police departments out of control.

I was pleased to see that the Supreme Court recently ruled against some of the excesses of the civil forfeiture schemes.

Comment

My son is too young to have this conversation yet, but I just don't know what I'm going to tell him about interacting with the police around here. Our cops made international news for killing citizens and have been operating on (and generally defying) a DoJ consent decree because they're so out of control and the culture is so rotten. Here's what I tell people who are not six years old, though: NEVER willingly speak with the police, ever. You have absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose. Sucks that it has to be that way, but it do.
                            Some police fundraiser called my house the other day asking for money. I just said "I support Black Lives Matter". That ended the conversation very quickly, they couldn't hang up the phone fast enough
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              Some police fundraiser called my house the other day asking for money. I just said "I support Black Lives Matter". That ended the conversation very quickly, they couldn't hang up the phone fast enough
                              That's another thing I just don't get about racis....err, Republicans. When you say "black lives matter" they respond with "all lives matter!" I mean, if you tell them "save the rainforest" do they respond with "save all trees!" Like, supporting something means that you are excluding everything else? Stupid.

And you're in Seattle, right? Yet another major American city with an out-of-control police force so corrupt it had to be taken over by the DoJ.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                                yeah, I haven't spent much time on RJ lately - work is just one deadline after another. I miss being a generic coder. Turn this data into that data and go home, that's the life for me.

Anyway. Yeah, noon, Big Rec Field at Golden Gate Park. Maybe we can convince Fresno Bob to show up too. I'll be there around 11; if you have your luggage with you you can probably stay until 1-1:30.
                                Ok, I'll be the shaggy creature with hideously matted hair and long claws hiding in the bushes behind the third base line. I'll do my best to stand on two legs.

Anyway....I'll send a PM to Fresno and Heye and see if they can meetup. I'll try to make it regardless. I'll touch base by email or PM a week or so before just to confirm you aren't on the DL or something like that.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X