No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This brought back some good memories -- nice to see some regular VD players represented. I seem to remember this being a huge rout for the AL with Atlee Hammaker giving up a ton of runs.

Comment

• And here's the NL:

Comment

• That's super awesome. I met Atlee Hammaker back in the day --- I grew up in the Bay Area and was lucky enough to meet a ton of pro athletes (and musicians, too) as a kid. I can't really remember anything about meeting Atlee, though. I was like 8 years old back when I met him. The Giant I remember meeting most, of all people, was Johnny Rabb. When he was catching he was super wild throwing down to 2nd. So at the end of warmups between innings when the catcher throws down to second, every time Rabb would hit the 2B on the fly the entire stadium would burst into rousing applause. I remember him best both for that and the fact that he spent more than 1/10th of a second talking to me when I met him.

And how about Yaz in his final All-Star game? Very cool.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• I remembered correctly: Hammaker gave up 7 runs in 2/3 of an inning, including the first grand slam in All-Star game history. Enjoy:

Comment

• Didn't Atlee also give up a granny in Game 7 of the World Series? That's quite an accomplishment --- to give up grand slams in the All Star game and in a Game 7.

His daughter is married to Yan Gomes.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• My family used to rent a bungalow in upstate NY every summer in the late 1970s-early 1980s (think: Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, except a lot less luxury), and only a small handful of my friends there had TVs because reception was so bad. So we would listen to games on the radio, but the only game that was real important for us kids was the All-Star Game. The 1983 game was the one I can clearly remember listening to, and I remember we all went crazy when Lynn hit the GS off Hammaker. I'm not sure why Hammaker's disaster left such a lasting impression, but it did.

Comment

• Those were cool videos. I used to love the all-star game. I guess when there was only one game a week televised it made it more of an event.
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Just when I thought my estimation of the idiot Republicans could not possibly get any lower, I watch the Cohen proceedings. Seriously, one of the R morons just asked why Cohen hadn't chosen to turn over boxes of evidence......boxes which had already been seized by the FBI.

At least we are all now (finally) in apparent agreement that people who repeatedly lie and cannot forthrightly or honestly fill out forms are not to be trusted.

The only good ending here is for ALL these motherfuckers, orange clown on down, to end up in prison.

Comment

• Are you aware, Mr. Cohen, that you are a convicted liar? That you are bringing lies, LIES! into this sacred chamber? Which has never been sullied by the presence of such a liar before.

One of the Republican congressmen actually said, "Liar, liar, pants on fire."
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                      What a strange coincidence!

Message from KS :

Are you aware, Mr. Cohen, that you are a convicted liar? That you are bringing lies, LIES! into this sacred chamber? Which has never been sullied by the presence of such a liar before.

One of the Republican congressmen actually said, "Liar, liar, pants on fire."
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Elijah Cummings is impressive. I feel good about having him in charge of this committee and the hearings are sure to follow from this hearing. He seems to care deeply about our country and its future, and he doesn't seem too excitable by partisan bickering.
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• I don't really find Michael Cohen very likable, either.

Comment

• Apologies to umjewman

Comment

• This one never gets old:

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                                I don't really find Michael Cohen very likable, either.
                                Does Mueller believe liars ?
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X