*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Oh, man, this idea that government is this monolithic, evil, inefficient actor is such a warped view of reality. Government sets the ground rules for private enterprise to operate in. Enforces contract law, awards patents, determines what constitutes anti-competitive behavior, and generally sets the framework for there to even be a "free market". The idea that an optimal free market is just a thing that naturally happens by itself is so fundamentally incorrect.
    I guess maybe this is where I get confused. I don't understand how you disallow people from just physically taking things from you in a libertarian mindset. If someone has a gun, or is just physically superior to you, why can't they use that to get what they want? Why create arbitrary laws that protect business but allow them to do whatever else they want, but curtail the options of the individual to better themselves? Stealing is wrong, monopolies and blackmail and insider trading or whatever are all just businesses conduct business.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      I guess maybe this is where I get confused. I don't understand how you disallow people from just physically taking things from you in a libertarian mindset. If someone has a gun, or is just physically superior to you, why can't they use that to get what they want? Why create arbitrary laws that protect business but allow them to do whatever else they want, but curtail the options of the individual to better themselves? Stealing is wrong, monopolies and blackmail and insider trading or whatever are all just businesses conduct business.
      My experience with sane/sophisticated libertarian thinkers is that they acknowledge this and just argue for less government control and interference than we have now because they believe the economy will operate more efficiently for a greater number of people that way.

But for the libertarians who argue that there is some lesser-regulated state of the economy that is obviously fundamentally natural, I have found that they are usually just arguing for their own policy preferences and putting a thin veneer of libertarianism over the top of it to make it sound more authoritative or respectable.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        My experience with sane/sophisticated libertarian thinkers is that they acknowledge this and just argue for less government control and interference than we have now because they believe the economy will operate more efficiently for a greater number of people that way.

But for the libertarians who argue that there is some lesser-regulated state of the economy that is obviously fundamentally natural, I have found that they are usually just arguing for their own policy preferences and putting a thin veneer of libertarianism over the top of it to make it sound more authoritative or respectable.
        It just seems like a one way social contract... you have to behave in a certain way to be part of the society, but you can not expect anything in return for being part of that society...

Comment

• Originally posted by NO ONE EVER
          I re-read parts of the Obama and Afghanistan thread
          dude, step away from the sports bar... reading new stuff is toxic enough, why are you subjecting yourself to older stuff?

Comment

dude, step away from the sports bar... reading new stuff is toxic enough, why are you subjecting yourself to older stuff?
            Lol.!!
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Bfly is certainly the least toxic poster i will run into over there
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I'm bored, so I thought maybe I would take on my fair project and website...

I like Meetmeatthefair.com but I do think it reads more like meet meat and not meet me at...

I like the supercalifairlogistics.com, but I'm not sure people would find it.

FiftyEightCAFairs.com (what are the chances we get a new county?)

Fairthewell.com?

AllsfaireinCA.com?

Comment

I'm bored, so I thought maybe I would take on my fair project and website...

I like Meetmeatthefair.com but I do think it reads more like meet meat and not meet me at...

Fairthewell.com?

AllsfaireinCA.com?
                  Maybe just pend more time in the sports bar ?
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Fairthewell.com?

AllsfaireinCA.com?
                    I feel like u ignored all my great ideas last time and now u want more.?
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Fairthewell.com?

AllsfaireinCA.com?
                      Fairtheewell
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                        Fairtheewell
                        Fairvergnugen
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I feel like u ignored all my great ideas last time and now u want more.?
                          I like thinking about doing things, because while I'm thinking about them, they all end up great... when I actually try to do things, not so much.

ask revo about trying to business with me.

Comment

Fairvergnugen
                            Dontfearthefair
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• so here's a list of fairs:

is there anything wrong with me pulling the info from this list and republishing it myself? Is that plagiarizer? I mean, I'm not copy and pasting, but I am pulling all the info I would use from this one site. I guess I could click on each of the individual county sites they have and collate the info from there, but that's just silly.

Comment

• New Attorney General William Barr's son-in-law just landed a job "advising Trump on legal issues."

For fuck's sake.
                                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Working...
                                X