*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
    I badly misjudged how much work it would be to have my six-year-old have two friends sleep over. There is a lot of arguing that I have to settle. Also when those microwave popcorn bags say "open away from face and body" they mean it. Got a nice big jet of steam up my nose. That hurt more than I thought it would.
    Ha! I feel for you, man. My 6 year old has had his friends (2 sisters) spend the night and, yeah, it's challenging. Plus, those two apparently don't have bedtimes at home which makes it next-level challenging.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• He picked Yelich at 1.07 and I picked Arenado at 1.08. Maybe one of the other two of the big three pitchers falls to me in the 2nd. Probably not, but we'll see.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
        He picked Yelich at 1.07 and I picked Arenado at 1.08. Maybe one of the other two of the big three pitchers falls to me in the 2nd. Probably not, but we'll see.
        The big 3 almost always go in the 1st round this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          The big 3 almost always go in the 1st round this year.
          Since this is a 12 teamer, my 2nd pick - 17th overall - falls barely beyond the end of the normal 1st round, so I might have an outside shot. I'm pretty comfortable going with a couple guys in the next couple tiers, though, if it comes down to it. I am also shooting for Altuve, who seems like a decent pairing with Arenado.

Comment

• Honestly, I might not be able to pass on Machado either. His contract uncertainty is all that prevented me from picking him already. Sounds like the Padres have made an enormous offer to him, too.

Comment

• 3 more picks 'til mine and both of the remaining big 3 pitchers still out there. So far it's:

Code:
              Pick	Round	Player	Pos	Team	Duration
              1	1	Trout, Mike	OF	BALCO BOY 69420	43 min 8 sec
              2	1	Betts, Mookie	OF	SpinningSeams	6 sec
              3	1	Ramirez, Jose	3B	Gary 8	6 sec
              4	1	Acuna, Ronald	OF	Double	18 sec
              5	1	Martinez, J.D.	OF	Team G	8 min 44 sec
              6	1	Scherzer, Max	P	Henry	25 sec
              7	1	Yelich, C.	OF	kerrigan	2 hour 1 sec
              8	1	Arenado, Nolan	3B	Me	31 sec
              9	1	Turner, Trea	SS	Sexton	1 min 48 sec
              10	1	Baez, Javier	2B	Palace	13 min 49 sec
              11	1	Bregman, Alex	3B	SMASH36	5 min 19 sec
              12	1	Machado, Manny	SS	Metivier	9 min 17 sec
              13	2	Judge, Aaron	OF	Metivier	3 sec

Comment

• Well, DeGrom just got picked. Two more picks until mine.

Comment

I badly misjudged how much work it would be to have my six-year-old have two friends sleep over. There is a lot of arguing that I have to settle. Also when those microwave popcorn bags say "open away from face and body" they mean it. Got a nice big jet of steam up my nose. That hurt more than I thought it would.
                  Dangerous microwaves burn lungs.
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• If they're both gone, our NFBC entry took Lindor at #18. I think having a shot at the guy who would have gone #4 or so in the second round might be a bit more variance than you want, but we decided it was worth it.
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

If they're both gone, our NFBC entry took Lindor at #18. I think having a shot at the guy who would have gone #4 or so in the second round might be a bit more variance than you want, but we decided it was worth it.
                      Yeah, he's very tempting as well. I got burned on a "minor calf issue" last year though so I'm a little over sensitive to that right now. Lindor went 38 HR / 25 SB last year. That is pretty goddamn beastly. Honestly, I never would have guessed it from Lindor the prospect. I've made some bad prospect evaluations in my time but none as bad as Lindor, who I thought was going to be an Omar Vizquel type hitter.

Comment

Yeah, he's very tempting as well. I got burned on a "minor calf issue" last year though so I'm a little over sensitive to that right now. Lindor went 38 HR / 25 SB last year. That is pretty goddamn beastly. Honestly, I never would have guessed it from Lindor the prospect. I've made some bad prospect evaluations in my time but none as bad as Lindor, who I thought was going to be an Omar Vizquel type hitter.
                        I don't know for sure, but it seems like he wasnt predicted to develop anywhere near the power he has. I didnt realize until earlier today what an amazing season he had
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                          RJ is a whole different experience when you make use of the ignore function.
                          I actually sort of forgot about that feature. Things do look a lot different.
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Everyone thought that of Lindor including the Indians . They didn’t want to bring him up because they didn’t think his bat was ready. I thought the same thing. I saw him play at Double A a few times and he never really looked that good at the plate. Same for JRam.

Glad I was wrong.

Comment

• I ended up landing Sale for my second pick. I was happy about that. Altuve went the pick before mine and Lindor went at the end of the second. I’m up again in the third now - looking at Soto, Bryant, or perhaps another bat.

Comment

• Took Bryant. I like the OF eligibility too.

Comment

Working...
                                X