*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    And I guess this means I'm up, and I have no idea who I want to pick. I've been working on adding 2010 decade players to the spreadsheet but have spent no time on my own rankings. Guess I'll see if I can dig up an old decades VD and hopefully it won't serve me too poorly for the first pick.
    Take your time. We Appreciate your work on the spreadsheet !
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I'm going to have to pick in the morning when I have a chance to get some materials assembled.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

4. Filled in decades for the hitters that were missing decades, except for about 20 awful QUIZY players that have no prospect of being used unless we do a combo decades-lastname draft and require 5 QUIZYs
        Presumptuous 😉

You forgot about the franchise, letter, decade 5 quizy combo draft 😛🤪

I guess I can dream.

Comment

I'm going to have to pick in the morning when I have a chance to get some materials assembled.
          No rush I am heading out to take my parents to lunch and won’t be back until 1:30

Plus MJL is a west coaster

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher
            Take your time. We Appreciate your work on the spreadsheet !
            Originally posted by hacko View Post
            No rush I am heading out to take my parents to lunch and won’t be back until 1:30

Plus MJL is a west coaster

What the fuck do you people think this is?

*clears throat*

HURRY UP WITH YOUR PICK. EVERY MINUTE YOU DELAY, GOD KILLS A KITTEN.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post

*clears throat*

Well not really a cat person....

Comment

• Sorry for the delay
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• There is a typo in Curtis Granderson's 2011 season PA, should be 691 instead of 7. Might lead to some erroneous OBP calculations if you don't catch it.

Also, J.D. Martinez is in the spreadsheet twice, once as martijd01 and once as martijd02. The second ID is correct, but I think the stat lines are identical in either case.

Bryce Harper is in the spreadsheet twice, once as harpebr01 and once as harpebr03. The harpebr03 stat line is the correct one.

Eric Young Jr.'s career stat line is incorrect in several OBP-related categories.

Dustin Pedroia has his 2011 season listed as belonging to the 1920 decade. He may belong their height-wise, but otherwise that's in error.

Albert Pujols career walk total is incorrect.

The career BB-HB-SF-PA fields for some 2000-2010 decade hitters is in text format with a leading space (Unicode 160) before the digits, which prevents an OBP formula from working correctly.

There are a bunch of errors in the BB-HB-SF-PA fields for some 2000-2010 decade hitters, leading to inaccurate OBP calculations--Beltran, Beltre, etc. I haven't tracked them all down yet. About 70 players potentially affected. (Okay, maybe not as bad as I feared. Juan Uribe and Omar Infante were missing stats from 2016, Beltre and Beltran had some stats flipped between the two of them. Everyone else seems okay so far, still checking.)

***At some point I will post a corrected spreadsheet with these things fixed. The previous spreadsheet I linked does not have these errors fixed.
                  Last edited by Kevin Seitzer; 01-10-2019, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• Where is the spreadsheet currently

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      Where is the spreadsheet currently
                      I'll compile it at the weekend. Shouldn't take long with Ks having fixed the player data.

VD10 SS should help you in the short term, an dhte VD 10 Draft thread might be a decent guide.

BUT ... we are using OBP not BA, so bear that in mind. VD10 used BA!

Comment

• I think of all the hitters and hitter-seasons I added, I think I probably added one hitter from the 2010s that might be taken toward the end of the draft, and about a half dozen hitter seasons that were better than the ones already in the spreadsheet for players likely to be selected. That gives me some comfort level that the spreadsheet we were working off of last draft wasn't in too bad of shape after revo's additions.

Comment

I think of all the hitters and hitter-seasons I added, I think I probably added one hitter from the 2010s that might be taken toward the end of the draft, and about a half dozen hitter seasons that were better than the ones already in the spreadsheet for players likely to be selected. That gives me some comfort level that the spreadsheet we were working off of last draft wasn't in too bad of shape after revo's additions.
                          Nice. The missing BYs actually hurt me a little last draft. When I compiled my rankings SS, it only added players that had both Career and BY numbers, and since a lot of the BY's were completely missing, I was absent players. I literally hadn't even heard of a few of the players selected in the second half ... some were more than decent.

Curious to see how the 2010's stacks up for hitters, what with plenty of 2000's players flowing over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post

*clears throat*

Pick made
                            A-Rod likes the Pussy!!🐱

Comment

• Given that we don't have SH in the hitting stats in the spreadsheet, how are we supposed to calculate OBP?

There are a lot of borked-up career stats in the 2000s and especially 2010s hitters, and I'm not sure how to fix them, and now I realize I don't know how we've calculated OBP in these spreadsheets in the past, either.

Edit to answer my own question. I guess not using the PA column.
                              i.e.
                              (H+BB+HB)/(AB+BB+HB+SF)
                              not (H+BB+HB)/PA

Comment

• Updated version of the spreadsheet:

**This is at least a workable beta version of the spreadsheet for this draft, although it still has some issues, especially as relates to the standings. I would recommend this for usage at this point unless someone has something better.**

The following issues have been fixed:
                                Previously mentioned fixes:
                                1. Added about 200 hitters from the 2010s decade.
                                2. Added about 900 hitter best seasons from the 2010s decade.
                                3. Removed about 150 hitter best seasons that have never been used and have no reasonable prospect of being used (they were all additional seasons for a hitter where there was a better season for that hitter in that decade and the removed season was better in no category.)
                                4. Filled in decades for the hitters that were missing decades, except for about 20 awful QUIZY players that have no prospect of being used unless we do a combo decades-lastname draft and require 5 QUIZYs
                                5. Fixed some hitter best seasons that were in error (mentioned earlier in the thread).

New fixes since last posted version:
                                6. Updated team names for VD13
                                7. Changed AVG to OBP formula in hit_car and hit_seas worksheets
                                8. Fixed typo in Curtis Granderson's 2011 season PA, should be 691 instead of 7.
                                9. J.D. Martinez is in the spreadsheet twice, once as martijd01 and once as martijd02. Stat lines were identical, but removed martijd01.
                                10. Bryce Harper is in the spreadsheet twice, once as harpebr01 and once as harpebr03. The harpebr03 stat line is the correct one. Removed harpebr01.
                                11. Corrected Eric Young Jr.'s career stat line forseveral OBP-related categories.
                                12. Fixed Dustin Pedroia 2011 season listed as belonging to the 1920 decade, moved to 2010 decade.
                                13. Corrected Albert Pujols career walk total.
                                14. Removed leading space (Unicode 160) before the digits in the career BB-HB-SF-PA fields for some 2000-2010 decade hitters, which was preventing an OBP formula from working correctly.
                                15. Updated Juan Uribe and Omar Infante for missing stats from 2016
                                16. Fixed Beltre and Beltran career OBP-related stats flipped between the two of them.

What remains to be done:
                                1. Add any relevant pitchers missing from the 2010s decade.
                                2. Add pitcher best seasons from the 2010s decade.
                                3. Fill in missing pitcher decades for some players
                                4. Remove the 14th drafter slot from various worksheets
                                5. Update the standings rankings to reflect 13 teams instead of 14 (and anywhere else this is needed?)
                                6. Update team sheets to reflect OBP instead of AVG
                                7. Make sure that the additional two players needed for this draft (Hitter #15 and Pitcher #12, rounds 26-27) are reflected everywhere necessary
                                8. Some of the post-2013 hitter playerIDs that I added are likely wrong, but none of them conflict with existing playerIDs in the spreadsheet. It would be good if someone can double-check these at some point. (If the player started his career after 2013, I assumed his playerID was in the form of trumpdo01, unless the first five characters of his last name were already in use in the spreadsheet, in which case I manually checked with BB-Ref.)

Comment

Working...
                                X