*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    I am just not smart enough to calculate all the permutations for all the teams. That was a fucking rough choice there.
    Don't make Bobbylicious lamentations. Just don't.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Never targeted Bender. Figured he'd be more premium than i'd be prepared to pay. Doc White has some downside for a normal pitching set up. I had Reulbach as my back up, but not much going after that. Had to jump on Tommy Bond and White a few rounds earlier than I wanted. 1910's were shallow, especially with IP being a value category for me. Had Adams, Bond, White, Leonard targeted as first choice options from the start. Joe Berry was first choice option too, but he depended on my IP count. Face was an either/or preference. The rest is whatever.

My strat was to target players who went undrafted in VD10, well hope they slid more than they should. Couldn't really risk that after all the chatter.
      I was very worried about my team's chances after Bender got picked. For some silly reason, I thought that Cicotte would fall further and that even if he didn't Bender would be around for a while anyway. The drop after Bender felt precipitous. There are a glut of next-level 1910s dudes who are good, but fit much better with punters. Bender is the last of the anchor 1910s guys.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Without looking or using your brain in any real fashion, what time would you guess it is in Ireland. 9 am is what I'm guessing without looking.

Edit: It's 6:27 there right now.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Poorly conceived and ill-planned team reviews:

Controller J: Hell yeah. Poured on the big pitchers early and used some very nice value to establish a pitching base while barely even tapping into the elite pitching decades early on. His team is extremely well balanced and doesn't look to be struggling in any one area at all.
          Awesome value: Chipper in the 10th
          Snaked me like a dick: Eddie Cicotte in the 7th, bonus points for Bunning in the 15th.
          Best back to back picks: Pedro followed by Kid Nichols. Ballsy move that's worked out very nicely.

DMT: Started off crushing everyone else points-wise for a while there. Had a particularly strong run of picks in the 6-10 range. Also looks to be strong across the board with no big weaknesses, but needs to make some offense get crackin'. Definitely has some juice at both ends of the ball. And of course with Big Train, you can build bold strategies and still maintain awesome ratios or kind of whatever you want on the pitching side.
          Awesome value: I'm going with Kershaw in the 8th.
          Snaked me like a dick: Wilhelm in the 6th.
          Best back to back picks: Greenberg Wilhelm

Johnny: I know he thinks he got outed, but I and I'm sure a few others were suspicious right after Adams was picked. Looked like a draft from the days of old. The old strategy that never lost, as a matter of fact! Strong move, ja24. Team is coming around perfectly and will be nearly as strong as can be in the non-tanked categories. Will it be enough to take the title? We shall see. Very, very solid draft overall.
          Awesome value: Victor Martinez in the 11th
          Snaked me like a dick: Dutch Leonard then Jose Canseco
          Best back to back picks: LOVED that first three opening. Good stuff. Unbelievable and bankable stats out of terrible decades. Bold stuff, JA. Bold as love. Just like an axis.

More to come and maybe more well-thought out ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
            New format proposal for something we can bust out in a couple days after this is over: Duplicate.

You have the 14th pick in each round, same format as VD13. You can't pick anyone who was drafted in VD13 before your pick (so for your first pick you can take anyone drafted in rounds 2-27, for your second anyone in 3-27, etc.) Build the best team you can.

Before the deadline at the end of the draft, post your team to pastebin.com and save the URL it's at - this gives you a timestamp for your team's creation but doesn't reveal your team to anyone else. After the deadline, post the URL of your team in the thread and someone can collate all of them and figure out the standings.
            that is a great idea! let's do it!
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
              The road is flooded on both sides. Amber and the kids are stuck at her mom's house, as it's still too high for their jeep to get through. I think this means I can get drunk and play video games.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Good morning Scott. Hope the family is okay. I'm off to sleep.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I did projections and while starting to optimize, one mystery team just keeps getting better and better with every optimization and is running away with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    I did projections and while starting to optimize, one mystery team just keeps getting better and better with every optimization and is running away with it.
                    Mysterious, but not that surprising?

I don't think I have a chance in hell. My ceiling with this strat isn't high enough to complete with a really good all-round team, and notwithstanding that, my hitting isn't good enough to even hit that ceiling.

Giambi seems like my best pick. Might end up being wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                      that is a great idea! let's do it!
                      In....
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Have we done any drafts related to uniform number? Seems like that would be a fun one.

Comment

• Frae: Very strong start with the Teddy Ballgame, Mo, King Kelly opening. Frae took a bunch of players in the middle rounds that are the types of guys that I have a really hard time evaluating effectively --- guys like Frank Thomas (a beast in OBP), Yount, and Guidry --- so never end up on my teams. Frae has done very well with them and should finish strong.
                            Awesome value: I liked Browning in the 10th and can't help but wonder if Frae had taken more "extreme" guys like Browning if he'd have ended up even better. Cabrera was also a great pick in the 4th.
                            Snaked me like a dick: The aforementioned Cabrera.
                            Best back to back picks: Koufax and Waddell --- two of my very favorite players of all time!

El Bene: After whining like a little you-know-what for a good deal of the draft, my team is coming around. I see wild variation in potential outcomes but I've been able to shore up my weaknesses pretty well. Still a long ways to go but I feel like I have a chance.
                            Awesome value: Lave Cross is an OBP killer, but getting him in the 13th with a 1900s decade is criminal.
                            Got too clever for my own good: Not sure how well DiMaggio fit my team at the time I picked him --- I kind of picked him because he was on my winning VD team from a long time ago. Also didn't need Verlander in retrospect and Scherzer might have been better as well as much cheaper. Probably also should have gone with Newhouser instead of Dazzy Vance.
                            Best back to back picks: Cross and Jennings in the 13th / 14th

Ken: Ken is taking to VD extremely well. Check out this team compared to the last one. I think Ken also could have benefited from a couple more "extreme" guys, particularly on the BY side of things. I've found over time that it's hard to compete unless you have a couple BY monsters on both sides. I was surprised back when Seitzer started doing these things at how highly he valued "BY guys" like Hecker and Walker. It's really changed my outlook on how important those guys are to a team and that I don't often regret picking them, even a little early. Johnny's pick of Hack Wilson was like that --- huge decade and very light career, but still worth a very high pick for the insane BY.
                            Awesome value: Harry Heilmann --- although he's perhaps not a BY standout, he was sitting on the top of my board for what seemed like forever. Since I had picked Ott very early, it was hard to watch that kind of hitter going unpicked round after round.
                            Snaked me like a dick: Mickey Mantle for sure. I was over the moon thinking he was going to slide to me, only to get nabbed one pick before mine. Kick in the nuts.
                            Best back to back picks: A couple good ones to choose from, but how about the value in going Hubbell and then Gibson in the 3rd / 4th? Hubbell is crazy good for his era and Gibson's BY ratios are elite.

Comment

• I'm working on an optimization engine today using T-SQL, wish me luck (already have one for my team, trying to make it more generic and iterative)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                I'm working on an optimization engine today using T-SQL, wish me luck (already have one for my team, trying to make it more generic and iterative)
                                Some people make their own picks

Comment

Working...
                                X