• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Name a baseball player born in Maine
    Damn, it's actually quite a fun list
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Feels like the Mets had some sort of Moneyball strategy on Hawaiin pitchers.
      Ron Darling went to one of the Ivy League schools, Yale or Princeton, I forget which. He was part of a famous game between those two schools, pitching against Frank Viola. He wrote a book about it, which I read maybe 20 years ago and have thus forgotten some of the details. But I'm guessing he came to the Mets attention on the mainland in college?
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• 1.06 Yogi Berra's hinged catching glove
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Name a baseball player born in Maine
          I don't know any off the top of my head.

Comment

• Trivia- who pitched in both the first Seattle Pilots and Seattle Mariners games ? Hint - not born in Maine or Hawaii.
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
              Ron Darling went to one of the Ivy League schools, Yale or Princeton, I forget which. He was part of a famous game between those two schools, pitching against Frank Viola. He wrote a book about it, which I read maybe 20 years ago and have thus forgotten some of the details. But I'm guessing he came to the Mets attention on the mainland in college?
              can't believe I can't remember that story. Darling does a podcast with jimmy rollins on "the unwritten rules of baseball" and he referenced the story in one of the episodes I listened to back in july. I feel like it had something to do with their story on "no talking about no hitters during the game"
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I don't know any off the top of my head.
                George Gore and Cannonball Titcomb are perhaps the most notable. Billy Swift if you are a Mariners fan...Irv Young if you are a QUIZY connosiuer. How do you spell that anyway
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Trivia- who pitched in both the first Seattle Pilots and Seattle Mariners games ? Hint - not born in Maine or Hawaii.
                  Is it Diego Segui? Seems like I've heard that somewhere.

Comment

Ron Darling went to one of the Ivy League schools, Yale or Princeton, I forget which.
                    Well did he go to school with Rory from Gilmore Girls ? That would help us figure it out.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Irv Young if you are a QUIZY connosiuer. How do you spell that anyway
                      I think Irv is the correct spelling.

Comment

Is it Diego Segui? Seems like I've heard that somewhere.
                        Yup...
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I think Irv is the correct spelling.
                          Why do you question my spelling of Young ? Whatever dude
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            can't believe I can't remember that story. Darling does a podcast with jimmy rollins on "the unwritten rules of baseball" and he referenced the story in one of the episodes I listened to back in july. I feel like it had something to do with their story on "no talking about no hitters during the game"
                            The book is The Complete Game, and the game was St. John's versus Yale, an NCAA Northeast Regional game on May 21, 1981. So I had it half right, in the true spirit of this thread. Viola pitched for St. John's and Darling pitched for Yale.

Comment

• Darling pitched a no-hitter for 11 innings, but St. John's won the game 1-0 by scoring a run off of Darling in the 12th.

Comment

The book is The Complete Game, and the game was St. John's versus Yale, an NCAA Northeast Regional game on May 21, 1981. So I had it half right, in the true spirit of this thread. Viola pitched for St. John's and Darling pitched for Yale.
                                I remember watching Frank pitch in the Kingdome. Did not appreciate his OVEN value at the time
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X