No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had an idea that I'm reluctant to mention, but I guess I will. For a future draft maybe we would only snake the order one time. So the team that picks first in the first round would pick last in all the rest. I'm not sure which draft position would have the advantage, which I think is a good thing.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      I had an idea that I'm reluctant to mention, but I guess I will. For a future draft maybe we would only snake the order one time. So the team that picks first in the first round would pick last in all the rest. I'm not sure which draft position would have the advantage, which I think is a good thing.
      We had discussed doing the last round of the draft blind (I can't remember exactly what was proposed) so that no one would be in the role of kingmaker and so that the folks at the very end of the draft didn't have much more information than those at the beginning.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
        We had discussed doing the last round of the draft blind (I can't remember exactly what was proposed) so that no one would be in the role of kingmaker and so that the folks at the very end of the draft didn't have much more information than those at the beginning.
        I like that idea
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I mean, if we have 14 drafters and #1 and #14 are vying for the top spot at the end of the draft, one or the other will have a pretty big advantage (depending on whether we end on an even-numbered or odd-numbered round).
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• I really like that idea, even though I'm sure it hurts me and the other chumps who don't know how to project other teams.
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              I had an idea that I'm reluctant to mention, but I guess I will. For a future draft maybe we would only snake the order one time. So the team that picks first in the first round would pick last in all the rest. I'm not sure which draft position would have the advantage, which I think is a good thing.
              Last drafter would have a HUGE advantage that would far surpass any advantage the first drafter currently has.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                The reason we moved to doing drafts only with an odd number of rounds was so that the small "kingmaker" advantage would accrue to those later in the draft order and hopefully offset the small early-drafter advantage that we had seen in the first 15 drafts.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• I might be in a bad mood, as I am currently on hold with the Georgia Department of Revenue. Wheeeeeee!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    Last drafter would have a HUGE advantage that would far surpass any advantage the first drafter currently has.
                    don't agree, but since I'm not on the line with the IRS I won't argue with you !
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• It would actually be interesting to see how many points each team could gain by optimizing their last pick in VD12. Hell someone probably already figured this out and might know what they are talking about, while I am just spitballing.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Also, there are two different methods for setting draft order when presented with random name/number lists. One way is starting with name list, then attaching number after as slot. Second way is starting with number list as order, then determining which name got that 1st number and so on. Perhaps if one of them results in a same person getting a top 3 pick, the other method can be used.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          Also, there are two different methods for setting draft order when presented with random name/number lists. One way is starting with name list, then attaching number after as slot. Second way is starting with number list as order, then determining which name got that 1st number and so on. Perhaps if one of them results in a same person getting a top 3 pick, the other method can be used.
                          You are making my head spin, I have no idea what you are saying.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            Also, there are two different methods for setting draft order when presented with random name/number lists. One way is starting with name list, then attaching number after as slot. Second way is starting with number list as order, then determining which name got that 1st number and so on. Perhaps if one of them results in a same person getting a top 3 pick, the other method can be used.
                            eh, I'd rather just have a set way than have it be changing depending on the top 3 or something... would hate to lose 1st because Setizer was 3rd and end up in 14th again. Just roll it the way johnny always does and let fate have its way.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              eh, I'd rather just have a set way than have it be changing depending on the top 3 or something... would hate to lose 1st because Setizer was 3rd and end up in 14th again. Just roll it the way johnny always does and let fate have its way.
                              This seems like the best way to make sure CJ never gets a good pick, so I'm all for it
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                                Just roll it the way johnny always does and let fate have its way.
                                Yes, this

If we have an established method we would want to continue using the established method.

Comment

Working...
                                X