No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And I actually am trying to get the best talent.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      And I actually am trying to get the best talent.
      Perhaps not too successfully, lol. That's why I ask for help. Not sure if I would have picked Miranda had I known I couldn't pick again for 20+ picks, but that's probably just me being bummed that I'm not going to get the Dodger I should have picked in the first place lol.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• There was nothing for him to do under the car, but it's tough to blame him now that he's dead.

The Sheriff’s Office believes the man was likely trying to steal a car’s catalytic converter when he got pinned under the car.

Comment

And I actually am trying to get the best talent.
          In my opinion in these minors drafts you are looking for stars. The closer they are to MLB, unless they are at the top of a prospect list, the less likely they are going to be stars.

You are right that the players further away have high bust potential, but they also have both the potential to be stars, and they have higher value on the trade market.

I personally don't feel like it makes sense to gravitate towards players who are closer to being called up. For every 1 late bloomer who was undervalued as a prospect it seems like there are several *top* prospects who make it.

Comment

• Well, I do like my stable of minors guys and am certainly hopeful it includes some stars. I have mostly all high upside guys (and poor ol' Jeter Downs) and one dude who fits the "close to MLB but not at the top of a prospect list" description. Even that guy, though, ranges from #32 - 90 on most lists. Jeter Downs was probably drop-worthy but there was no real incentive for me to do so.

Thus far, I have:

J. Rodriguez (awwww yeah)
            T. Casas
            J. Downs
            Erick Pena
            Nolan Gorman
            Brett Baty
            Juan Miranda

All of those guys with the exception of Downs are top 100 guys. All my team's inherited pitching prospects graduated to real salaries - not sure if I'm keeping any of Sixto ($1), Houck ($5), or Spencer Howard ($5). Sixto and Houck may be worth a shot but not sure I'll have room. Also have Jarren Duran who is now $5 and I likely won't be keeping him either.

Comment

• Do any of you guys remember The Stat Freak's real name?

Comment

Do any of you guys remember The Stat Freak's real name?
                I don't even remember the stat freak
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  I don't even remember the stat freak
                  He's some vintage dude with kinda pedestrian stats but his per 162 games played stats are freakishly amazing. He was just very clearly the best hitter in a stats/162 games draft. But I can't remember his real name!

Comment

He's some vintage dude with kinda pedestrian stats but his per 162 games played stats are freakishly amazing. He was just very clearly the best hitter in a stats/162 games draft. But I can't remember his real name!
                    Ross Barnes?

Comment

• I know I'm too stupid and lazy to post this in a Bene approved format. Oh well
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        Ross Barnes?
                        After more searching it's definitely Barnes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          After more searching it's definitely Barnes.
                          Is it? I didn’t think so but can’t be sure. Switzerland might remember.

Comment

Lmao, awesome autocorrect. Didn't even notice. *Seitzer*

Comment

I don't know - do we trust this "Bene Futuis" guy?

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                              Yep, I never looked @ the stat freak on BBRef! Very, very nice pick for you.

For the newer drafters, take a look at Barnes' 162 game averages on BBRef and you'll know why he's the stat freak. Also, looking around BBRef I can't help but wonder whether we're going to see an onslaught of stolen base data updated for the early-mid 1870s coming soon. Edit: Actually, looks like early-mid is done. Maybe the mid-late 1870s are coming next? Wonder what new data they've gotten....

Comment

There was nothing for him to do under the car, but it's tough to blame him now that he's dead.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-found...233353620.html
                                Good memory.
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X