No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins: Probably Leyland circa 97, but a case can certainly be made for McKeon as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      For the Royals, I assume Ned Yost takes the top spot for the two World Series trips, as well as for recency and longevity, surpassing the previous winning managers Dick Howser and Whitey Herzog. Herzog can't really be it because he defected to the hated Cardinals.
      I always think of Herzog and KC, but that is probably because that was when I was most interested in baseball and a big Royals fan at the time
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        I always think of Herzog and KC, but that is probably because that was when I was most interested in baseball and a big Royals fan at the time
        I think of Hal McRae, but primarily due to his personality.

Comment

It would be an interesting exercise to come up with the most iconic manager for current fans of each of the 30 franchises.

ATL - Bobby Cox
          SEA - Lou Piniella

For example, would Dodgers still be Tommy Lasorda, or has Dave Roberts' run of success vaulted him to the top for current fans?
          Easily Lasorda. If you ask any Dodger fan who the #1 Dodger of all time is, it'll end up a tie between Tommy Lasorda and Vin Scully.

Don't blame me, I voted for Jackie Robinson.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

For the Royals, I assume Ned Yost takes the top spot for the two World Series trips, as well as for recency and longevity, surpassing the previous winning managers Dick Howser and Whitey Herzog. Herzog can't really be it because he defected to the hated Cardinals.
            I think I have a recency bias with non-Dodger teams. Ned Yost seemed like the obvious answer to me.

Who's the #1 Giants manager? I guess Bruce Bochy is probably at the top now? Tough to ignore Ike's contemporary, John McGraw.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Diamondbacks - Bob Brenly (despite only being there a couple years?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post

Who's the #1 Giants manager? I guess Bruce Bochy is probably at the top now? Tough to ignore Ike's contemporary, John McGraw.
                I was thinking Leo Durocher. Looking on Wikipedia he had quite an amazing career.
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  I was thinking Leo Durocher. Looking on Wikipedia he had quite an amazing career.
                  Turncoat!

Comment

Turncoat!
                    Leo, not you-o.

Comment

Leo, not you-o.
                      Yeah, I recalled he was a Dodger before. I think he also went 10 years without managing before joining the cubs
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Yankees - Joe Torre? Casey Stengel?

Comment

• For the Pirates, Danny Murtaugh was the most successful with WS wins in 1960 & 1971. But, i think Chuck Tanner with a WS win in 1979 would be the most iconic manager in Pirates history. I think the optimistic and easy-going Tanner was more well liked by the fans and media than the hard-nosed Murtaugh. When i was a kid i think my grandmother had a secret crush on Chuck Tanner. Every time Tanner was giving an interview on TV, she would stop in her tracks to watch the TV and say, "He is such a nice man".
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• The Pirates were down 3 games to 1 in the 1979 World Series when manager Chuck Tanner's mother passed away the morning of game 5. Tanner told his players in the locker room before the game: “She knew we were in trouble, so she went upstairs to get us some help.” Relief pitcher Kent Tekulve said the players already knew of her death, but after Tanner's brief announcement, "Everyone's jaw dropped, and we all just looked at each other." The Pirates rallied to win the next 3 games and the World Series.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Cleveland-
                              Mike Hargrove tho Tito is right there.

Trivia of the Day
                              Greg Maddox faced 20,421 batters and went to 3-0 on only 133 of them

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                                Cleveland-
                                Mike Hargrove tho Tito is right there.

Trivia of the Day
                                Greg Maddox faced 20,421 batters and went to 3-0 on only 133 of them
                                I'm thinking that a lot of those 3-0 counts were against Tony Gwynn. Maddux and Gwynn were fierce but friendly rivals who had a lot of great battles against each other.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X