No announcement yet.

Lee Smith & Harold Baines Elected to the HOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it used to be wait 5 years, then up to 15 years on ballot.
    now it is 5, and 10.

Clemens and Bonds each have 3 more bites at the apple from writers.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Baines is a joke. Guess it really has become the "Hall of pretty good"

If Baines is in, why isn't Dave Parker? Compare their careers. Parker was just plain better.
      Last edited by Mithrandir; 01-22-2019, 10:10 PM.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        it used to be wait 5 years, then up to 15 years on ballot.
        now it is 5, and 10. Clemens and Bonds each have 3 more bites at the apple from writers.
        Hence 1922, ARod's first-year eligible. Hence the references.

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        Baines is a joke. Guess it really has become the "Hall of pretty good" If Baines is in, why isn't Dave Parker? Compare their careers. Parker was just plain better.
        Let's bring up Hal McRea. He had 133 RBI and fininshed a distant 4th in the AL MVP voting.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

that's a good result for a DH who finished T-5th that year in OPS+.
          of the top 7, none had a worse OBP than McRae, who scored 31 fewer runs than Dwight Evans - who won one of his 8 Gold Gloves in RF that year, led the league in OBP and led McRae in OPS+.

with all that, Evans finished 7th in the voting.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by dslaw View Post
            Surprised Mariano got 100%. He shouldn't have been the first with 100% but he deserves it.
            This was good in that it finally broke the ice. And Edgar getting in as a guy who was mostly a DH also breaks the ice. I'm hoping that the ice will be broken in the next 3 yrs on Bonds and Clemens, but I'm doubtful.

Comment

I'm sure it's somewhere & I just missed it - does anyone know how it will be decided which hat Halladay will have on his plaque? After watching him for 11 seasons here I'd love it to be the Jays, but obviously his greatest success was with the Phillies.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

my mystification over the 'hat' thing continues.

I have no idea why anyone would give a shit, and I applaud Mike Mussina for saying he will 'leave it up the Hall' when what he really means is, "do you think I give a shit?"

he's a guy who retired after his first 20-win season, the first to do so since Sandy Koufax's arm fell off in 1966.

carry on.

I mean, I've been to Cooperstown, but don't quiz me on the 'hats' of multi-team players. I'd fail because....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

HOF jumped the shark. Letting in H Baines, maybe 500th best player in bb history, but denying Clemens and Bonds, players who are arguably top 5 pitcher and a top 2 hitter of all time. What is the point of following it at all other than window dressing, like commenting if new look uniforms are better than last year? And yes, I think Clemens is top 5 pitcher and Bonds top 2 hitter of all time.

I am cool with Mo coming in at 100%, he would make any team in history a better team. Enter Sandman.

Comment

I'm glad that Mussina finally got in. Too bad that he never got a ring. He came to the Yanks the year after they won the title (2001 after the title in 2000) and retired the year before they won their next title (2008 before they won in 2009). At least he made it to a WS (2003 loss to the Marlins).

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                      HOF jumped the shark. Letting in H Baines, maybe 500th best player in bb history, but denying Clemens and Bonds, players who are arguably top 5 pitcher and a top 2 hitter of all time. What is the point of following it at all other than window dressing, like commenting if new look uniforms are better than last year? And yes, I think Clemens is top 5 pitcher and Bonds top 2 hitter of all time.

I am cool with Mo coming in at 100%, he would make any team in history a better team. Enter Sandman.
                      Not the HoF. The baseball writers that vote. It's politics on the sports page.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        I'm sure it's somewhere & I just missed it - does anyone know how it will be decided which hat Halladay will have on his plaque? After watching him for 11 seasons here I'd love it to be the Jays, but obviously his greatest success was with the Phillies.
                        there is video of Halladay stating his preference, if he ever was elected to the HoF, was to go in as a Jay

11 of 15 seasons, he was a Jay

if he goes in as a phil, how is the system better than previously when the player decided?

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                          HOF jumped the shark. Letting in H Baines, maybe 500th best player in bb history, but denying Clemens and Bonds, players who are arguably top 5 pitcher and a top 2 hitter of all time.
                          denied because they are cheaters.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                            my mystification over the 'hat' thing continues.

I have no idea why anyone would give a shit, and I applaud Mike Mussina for saying he will 'leave it up the Hall' when what he really means is, "do you think I give a shit?" ...
                            It's simple - because we're fans of our teams.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Which hat will ARod wear?

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Arod should wear $ on hat, gold plated gunslinger, bank it with those monster contracts. But he is a legit all time great, and we are in period where the greats dont get in, we let in the meh to pretty goods instead. Maybe he wont get in.

Comment

Working...
                                X