Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should superstars want to team with LeBron? Which ones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should superstars want to team with LeBron? Which ones?

The chatter has been pretty negative this week, even as LeBron, with no other all-stars on his squad, is still driving the Lakers right into the heart of the West's playoff picture. KD's comments, if they weren't taken out of context, seem particularly harsh, citing both atmosphere and basketball reasons that would dissuade stars from teaming with him, but those comments also seem to align with the factors that drove Kyrie to beg out of Cleveland. Lowry and Ariza weighed in.

Kevin Durant thinks the Lakers might struggle to find a superstar to play alongside LeBron James and everything that comes with him.

LeBron James, who scored 20 in the fourth quarter to help the Lakers erase an eight-point deficit against the Spurs, said he blocks out criticism and chatter. "I can care less about the narrative about me. It doesn't matter," he said.

But at the same time, guys like Wade and Bosh, Irving and Love, who were all-NBA players on their own, have rings (or in Wade's case, additional rings) because they were his teammate. But rings aren't everything. I'm sure there are many times when Scottie Pippen feels that he never got his due as a transcendent basketball talent in his own right because he was always second banana to Jordan. So what NBA stars, based on their personality and their position/game, do you think would/could both be happy and thrive professionally teaming with LeBron in LA? Maybe Durant, Kawhi and Butler aren't the right kind of guys...maybe DeMarcus Cousins or one of the other big men hitting free agency: Al Horford, Nik Vucevic, Marc Gasol (too old?), Nicola Mirotic? Maybe an elite off-ball 3 and D like Klay Thompson or Khris Middleton who is used to being a complementary option on offense? Maybe a score-first guard like Kemba Walker (or Kyrie again, lol?) or a do-everything-well combo guard like Eric Bledsoe?

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    The chatter has been pretty negative this week, even as LeBron, with no other all-stars on his squad, is still driving the Lakers right into the heart of the West's playoff picture. KD's comments, if they weren't taken out of context, seem particularly harsh, citing both atmosphere and basketball reasons that would dissuade stars from teaming with him, but those comments also seem to align with the factors that drove Kyrie to beg out of Cleveland. Lowry and Ariza weighed in.

Kevin Durant thinks the Lakers might struggle to find a superstar to play alongside LeBron James and everything that comes with him.

LeBron James, who scored 20 in the fourth quarter to help the Lakers erase an eight-point deficit against the Spurs, said he blocks out criticism and chatter. "I can care less about the narrative about me. It doesn't matter," he said.

But at the same time, guys like Wade and Bosh, Irving and Love, who were all-NBA players on their own, have rings (or in Wade's case, additional rings) because they were his teammate. But rings aren't everything. I'm sure there are many times when Scottie Pippen feels that he never got his due as a transcendent basketball talent in his own right because he was always second banana to Jordan. So what NBA stars, based on their personality and their position/game, do you think would/could both be happy and thrive professionally teaming with LeBron in LA? Maybe Durant, Kawhi and Butler aren't the right kind of guys...maybe DeMarcus Cousins or one of the other big men hitting free agency: Al Horford, Nik Vucevic, Marc Gasol (too old?), Nicola Mirotic? Maybe an elite off-ball 3 and D like Klay Thompson or Khris Middleton who is used to being a complementary option on offense? Maybe a score-first guard like Kemba Walker (or Kyrie again, lol?) or a do-everything-well combo guard like Eric Bledsoe?
    Kryie was the perfect player to play with Today’s LeBron . I. Believe if they would have stayed together he would have turn the keys over to Kyrie. We would have never won our 1 championship without Irving stepping up those last 3 games to play on the same level as LeBron .

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      T I'm sure there are many times when Scottie Pippen feels that he never got his due as a transcendent basketball talent in his own right because he was always second banana to Jordan.
      As a Bulls Season ticket holder during that time I don't remember it that way. Still thought you might enjoy this article that speaks of Scottie's first year without Michael.

By Adam Fluck | 05.20.2014 The Chicago Bulls were sitting atop the basketball world. Led by Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, both of whom were in the prime of their illustrious careers, Chicago had become just the third team in NBA history to three-peat and a fourth straight championship seemed inevitable with the Hall of Fame duo on the court.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        As a Bulls Season ticket holder during that time I don't remember it that way. Still thought you might enjoy this article that speaks of Scottie's first year without Michael.

https://www.nba.com/bulls/history/pi...jordan-1993-94
        Good article. Pippen certainly proved what he could do during that regular season, although that Eastern Conference Semis series against the Knicks and his refusal to take the court at the end of Game 3 will probably also be the biggest black mark on his career.

Comment

He's already got a transcendent talent in lonzo ball on the team. What more do they need?!?
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            He's already got a transcendent talent in lonzo ball on the team. What more do they need?!?
            An elite wing defender and knock-down 3-point shooter (ideally in one player), plus a 25 ppg guy who can create his own offense and be another option to get the ball close and late. McGee is playing well this season, but probably another strong defensive/rebounding center for when Chandler's wheels fall off.

Comment

Working...
            X