Mars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mars

Thoughts on this: is it exploration or oppression?
    To most Americans, it's a successful space mission. But to some academics, the newest Mars probe is politically problematic, a possible step on the path

What? This has to be a parody.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      Im hoping so - but I seriously think that this article is not.
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

This is the sort of thing that makes me cringe, because it embodies everything progressives get mocked for. In this case, rightly so.

Comment

I'd think so, too, but after this answer by Dr. Prescod-Weinstein, a high ranking, highly credentialed physicist on the NASA Space-X project, relative to Mars colonization I'm not sure, either:

I’m trying to think carefully about what our relationship to Mars should be, and whether we can avoid reproducing deeply entrenched colonial behaviors as we seek to better understand our Solar System. This includes thinking about why our language for developing understandings of environments that are new to us tends to still be colonial: “colonizing Mars” and “exploring” and “developing,” for example. These are deeply fraught terms that have traditionally referred to problematic behaviors by imperialists with those that we would call “indigenous” and “people of color” often on the receiving end of violent activities. . .
          Edit to add: this, and the remainder of her quotes from the article Nots posted, are from a Gizmodo interview.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I read a couple of her other articles, this is not a parody.

Comment

marvin_the_martian_upset_postcard-rc62c4feaab9d45c9ab91619a01e1f4a6_vgbaq_8byvr_307.jpg

Marvin is not having it.

Comment

you'd have to find a way to restart mars magnetic field first.

Comment

all life is, is a game where people try to be the boss of everyone else. one big narcissistic popularity contest.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                    all life is, is a game where people try to be the boss of everyone else. one big narcissistic popularity contest.
                    Survival of the fittest doesn't have much to do with popularity.

Comment

Um, what 2.0! I think I’m going to need an aspirin this morning.
                      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        Survival of the fittest doesn't have much to do with popularity.
                        Doesn't popularity have a lot to do with sex? and money? which, in turn, has a lot to do with sex?
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                          Doesn't popularity have a lot to do with sex? and money? which, in turn, has a lot to do with sex?
                          So you're saying it's a circle-jerk.
                          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                            So you're saying it's a circle-jerk.
                            careful....................
                            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

realistically, any society you have on Mars will have to be authoritarian/totalitarian for the first 100 years or so as "survival" is paramount over liberty.
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                              X