US-backed Genocide in Yemen has killed 85,000 children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
    TW, my response being so animated is my sincere frustration that you continually throw up another post about everything that is wrong in the world today, and that America is the issue.

Don't take me a wrap myself in the flag guy. I'm well versed in the issues America has. What would you have us do?
    Should we become a total isolationist nation? Do we cut off anything with other nations? Would we be better and viewed better if we moved into isolation? How would that help us and other nations? The issue, IMHO, is America is too big too fail. The world needs us, and sometimes chaos comes from that? I could go on, but it won't advance the conversation.

Again about my vitriol on this subject, you hit a nerve. As someone who daily talks with people in my community that are hungry, I take a lot of issue when someone wants to use hunger as a political tool...
    Is Bernie Sanders saying that "America is the issue"? No, same as me, he is attacking the military industrial complex within it. Kind of like my original post, where I state "Canada supports this shit-show as well, through arms deals with Saudi Arabia."...

You continue to smear me with beliefs I don't hold. Cut it out, bud!
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Here are the Top Eight Countries in Childhood Malnutrition

Central African Republic. The Central African Republic (CAR) remains at the top of this list as the “hungriest country in the world.”
      Chad
      Sierra Leone
      Madagascar
      Zambia
      Yemen
      Sudan
      Liberia

You, and most all of us, don't give a fly fuck about these other countries because they don't fit the narrative. No one cares about Chad, or Zambia. Heck, most people know they are in Africa, but couldn't place it on the map. And I'm sure the only reason some people know about Madagascar is for one of two reason, the stupid cartoon movies or it's the island off the coast of Africa with lemurs.

So, TW, go back to trying to show us that you're wringing your hands with anguish about those kids in Yemen tonight. Remember them as you open your Christmas presents, or buy the special gift for your child, or as you enjoy the endless food at your holiday gatherings, both Christmas and New Year's. Also, save a bag of Doritos for the Yemen kids next time you get the munchies after smokin' a bowl. If you really fuckin' care. Sell your possessions and go over there and do some relief work!
      Having visited, I am shocked that Madagascar is even on this list, let alone higher than Yemen. I was obviously a tourist but I saw way more starving children in India than Madagascar. And I also saw lots of aid organizations there. Maybe conditions have worsened.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        Is Bernie Sanders saying that "America is the issue"? No, same as me, he is attacking the military industrial complex within it. Kind of like my original post, where I state "Canada supports this shit-show as well, through arms deals with Saudi Arabia."...

You continue to smear me with beliefs I don't hold. Cut it out, bud!
        So you're saying America isn't the issue? It's the Military Industrial Complex? Am I understanding you correctly?
        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

So you're saying America isn't the issue? It's the Military Industrial Complex? Am I understanding you correctly?
          No, Bernie Sanders said it. Take it up with him.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

DO you agree with Bernie?

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.

Comment

DO you agree with Bernie?
              The military industrial complex is a problem, yes. Bernie suggests specifically that the US should stop supporting the Saudi war in Yemen, I agree.

How those things are approached or accomplished is up for debate. Is that fair enough?

Comment

So Bernie's position is your position, correct?

But, I'm suppose to take it up with Bernie, who's not here on the forum to take it with.

If I didn't know better, I would think you're 1J.

So you hold the same position, but don't care to discuss it? Or am I missing something? You seem very obtuse here.

Comment

So Bernie's position is your position, correct?

But, I'm suppose to take it up with Bernie, who's not here on the forum to take it with.

If I didn't know better, I would think you're 1J.

So you hold the same position, but don't care to discuss it? Or am I missing something? You seem very obtuse here.
                  I dont have the energy. I would if I could. Might need a vacation. Apologies.

Comment

Okay, trying to re-set this. Teenwolf appears to be saying we should be less involved in Yemen, not more, so I don't understand pushback that says "We have pressing needs in America that should take priority." The question, rather, is whether our current engagement, in the form of military and political support for the Saudis and the Saudi-backed side of the Yemeni civil war, is a positive engagement or a negative one and whether we should change the engagement or withdraw from it entirely.

Is that fair, TW, ITC and baldgriff?

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      Okay, trying to re-set this. Teenwolf appears to be saying we should be less involved in Yemen, not more, so I don't understand pushback that says "We have pressing needs in America that should take priority." The question, rather, is whether our current engagement, in the form of military and political support for the Saudis and the Saudi-backed side of the Yemeni civil war, is a positive engagement or a negative one and whether we should change the engagement or withdraw from it entirely.

That is not how I read it at all. How did you get that from this?

Comment

Having re-set the question, here's the "realpolitik" question/concerns that I have:

1) To what extent are we engaged directly in the Yemeni civil war, versus indirectly via the same level of military and political support we've provided to Saudi Arabia for generations?

2) What legitimate American and/or global security and economic interests are served by our strategic relationship with Saudi Arabia, and how does that balance against the harm to American and/or global security and economic and humanitarian interests that are furthered by our strategic relationship with Saudi Arabia?

3) If we were able to somehow cut off our impacts on the Yemeni Civil War (either separate and apart from our broader relationship with Saudi Arabia or through a broader material change of posture in our relationship with Saudi Arabia), what would happen? Would that make it easier for the UN or other international organizations to broker and maintain a peace and get humanitarian aid to Yemenis? Or would that just result in China or Russia or Israel or some other international actor(s) stepping into the vacuum to profit off arms sales to and closer strategic/economic ties with Saudi Arabia, and at what cost to American and/or global security, economic, geopolitical and humanitarian interests?

4) Do any of these questions have much if anything to do with the US military/defense budget? Is our military support to Saudi Arabia and directly or indirectly to the Saudi-backed side in the Yemeni civil war occurring at a net cost or a net profit to the US or to its companies (and thus GDP and tax revenues)? If it's a net profit, that doesn't really solve any of the moral issues involved, but it would suggest that cutting the military budget isn't the relevant lever vis-à-vis Yemen or the humanitarian crisis therein.

Comment

Here are the Top Eight Countries in Childhood Malnutrition

Central African Republic. The Central African Republic (CAR) remains at the top of this list as the “hungriest country in the world.”
                          Chad
                          Sierra Leone
                          Madagascar
                          Zambia
                          Yemen
                          Sudan
                          Liberia

You, and most all of us, don't give a fly fuck about these other countries because they don't fit the narrative. No one cares about Chad, or Zambia. Heck, most people know they are in Africa, but couldn't place it on the map. And I'm sure the only reason some people know about Madagascar is for one of two reason, the stupid cartoon movies or it's the island off the coast of Africa with lemurs.

So, TW, go back to trying to show us that you're wringing your hands with anguish about those kids in Yemen tonight. Remember them as you open your Christmas presents, or buy the special gift for your child, or as you enjoy the endless food at your holiday gatherings, both Christmas and New Year's. Also, save a bag of Doritos for the Yemen kids next time you get the munchies after smokin' a bowl. If you really fuckin' care. Sell your possessions and go over there and do some relief work!
                          These are who our church is helping:

Haiti, Kenya, Philippines and India.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            That is not how I read it at all. How did you get that from this?

If the US-backed genocide in Yemen has killed 85,000 children, then my takeaway is that the US should stop backing the genocide in Yemen -- disengagement, no? I didn't see a call in Teenwolf's post for humanitarian investment/intervention in Yemen, so "we should take care of our own people first" isn't really responsive. If our involvement is causing harm, the initial remedy, at least, is presumably ceasing that harmful involvement.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post

Uh, no. It's not even remotely close. But, to your realpolitik questions:

1) We're not engaged directly. Beyond a doubt, the Saudis are buying more arms - from the US, the French, and Israelis in confirmed reports - but higher volume in a civil war against Iranian backed troops is not a surprise. I'd fully expect we're more active in intelligence gathering given the parties involved.
                              2) The Saudis, now that they've made nominal peace with Israel, are considered a key bulwark against Iranian activities that are definitively targeted to harm the US or our allies. I'll note, for the record, that the Obama administration expanded this relationship as well. Moreover, having access to this area - especially the highly strategic port of Aden - is critical for US interests in the Indian Ocean, East Africa, and trade through the area.
                              3) The Saudis are all-in on keeping the Iranian influenced leadership out of Yemen. They're already buying arms from multiple vendors and countries, and would continue to do so if we're selling or not. They're not going to let the UN or any other "peace brokers" in unless it means the deposition of the Iraninan-backed Houthis.
                              4) I'm sure a tiny fraction of the defense budget is involved; I doubt it's at a net profit to the US Treasury, though I have not seen a study to confirm or deny that hypothesis.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                                1) We're not engaged directly. Beyond a doubt, the Saudis are buying more arms - from the US, the French, and Israelis in confirmed reports - but higher volume in a civil war against Iranian backed troops is not a surprise. I'd fully expect we're more active in intelligence gathering given the parties involved.
                                2) The Saudis, now that they've made nominal peace with Israel, are considered a key bulwark against Iranian activities that are definitively targeted to harm the US or our allies. I'll note, for the record, that the Obama administration expanded this relationship as well. Moreover, having access to this area - especially the highly strategic port of Aden - is critical for US interests in the Indian Ocean, East Africa, and trade through the area.
                                3) The Saudis are all-in on keeping the Iranian influenced leadership out of Yemen. They're already buying arms from multiple vendors and countries, and would continue to do so if we're selling or not. They're not going to let the UN or any other "peace brokers" in unless it means the deposition of the Iraninan-backed Houthis.
                                4) I'm sure a tiny fraction of the defense budget is involved; I doubt it's at a net profit to the US Treasury, though I have not seen a study to confirm or deny that hypothesis.
                                Yep, I think we're in basic agreement on the realpolitik answers. That doesn't necessarily resolve the broader moral and political questions posed by Teenwolf, but it's important to have the realpolitik context in grappling with them.

Comment

Working...
                                X