Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be the first New Millennial player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will be the first New Millennial player?

Which player born after 1 January 2000 will be the first to the major leagues?

Elite prospects, eg Jo Adell, are now born in 1999. Since it's a very obvious media tag, I suspect someone will be pushed this season or next.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Fun topic!

Wander Franco will be moved slower than most, as that's the Rays' M.O., but he's a 2001 baby, so he was unlikely to get there first any way you slice it.

Only 2 contenders for late-season call-ups that I can see. Nolan Gorman - 3B - STL and Luis Garcia - SS/3B - WAS. Garcia got a little over 200 AB in A+, so he could start in AA and push the big club by mid to late season. Gorman is less likely to get there first, with some A ball under his belt, he would need to crush it to get to MLB before September.

Any other potential options out there?
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I could see the Rays bringing Wander up for the notoriety, like Adalberto Mondesi becoming the youngest ever World Series player. There are two Luis Garcias; the other is in Philadelphia. He's has not made A ball yet. Kevin Maitan is the same.

There is Cardinal's 1B Malcom Nunez, also 17. He only played rookie ball but tore it up.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

from a Rule 5 draft writeup:

10. Toronto Blue Jays
        Elvis Luciano, RHP (from Royals)- Luciano turns 19 in February and was the youngest player selected in the Rule 5 by a pretty wide margin. He was acquired by Kansas City in the trade that sent Jon Jay to Arizona. Though he’ll touch 96, Luciano’s fastball sits in the 90-94 range and he has scattershot command of it, especially late in starts. His frame is less projectable than the typical teenager so there may not be much more velo coming as he ages, but he has arm strength and an above-average breaking ball, so there’s a chance he makes the Jays roster in a relief role. He has no. 4 starter upside if his below-average changeup and command progress. If he makes the opening day roster, he’ll be the first player born in the 2000s to play in the big leagues.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Cool.

I wonder if they'll do an interview.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

And so it proved. Hail Elvis I.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
            X