Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the story of cats and dogs

A few months ago our neighbor (10+ chi-bow-wows) offered us a "black" kitten. She's not really black. This patterning is called tortoiseshell. We also have a more normal calico.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Hall of Famer
    Pretty girl...looks like she could be trouble.

she's titling her head for the picture. that show's she is right there.

also, did you know all calico cats are female. the colors are on the X chromosome. i think it also involves active X switching too. like you need to have 2 X chromosomes to have it. so when someone says i have a calico cat and it's a female, they don't know all calico's are female. what is a calico anyways, is it 3 colors? very rarely a male can do it. and i guess they are worth a lot of money due to it's rareness.

active X switching is where something on the X chromosome that a female usually uses gets defective, and she digs into her reserve or extra X chromosome and uses that part for it instead. this is why women aren't as prone to color blindness as much as men. among other things. they even say they can see different shades of colors more than men. for example, we'll put on a pair of socks that we think match, but to a women active X switching, she'll see the slightest difference in color and think we put on socks that don't match.

cats are really just super smart. like that cat that visits me. i am cleaning up my yard, and he can't help me. but i swear he's sticking around encouraging me. it's like he knows there's something wrong with me but wants me to get my shit together. he would always walk in my house and be careful not to step on something sharp in the trash on the floor. he knew that wasn't normal. still, it's a greater understanding of human society. like peer pressure.

i did a lot of things for him. there are two types of cat guys. guys that are all proud that their male cat is the so-called toughest cat. and this cat isn't neutered. how he's survived in these woods so long i have no idea. but he knows i know the dangers he faces. that's why i made it clear to him that my house is a safe house at 3am.

his human owner is a big guy. he knows i've made friends with his cat. i've never talked to him tho. i assume he doesn't know i feed him treats and shit. he definitely wouldn't like that his cat tucks me in bed and sleeps with me. but i trust the cat not to give our secret away.

i even showed him that being a bad ass is stupid. he used to bully all the other cats. and he's got a temper. if you pick him up he gets all bent out of shape. he's a gray cat with raccoon like marks on his tale. he looks like a small panther. but when my cat was dying of old age, he was fucking with her. so i went out there an tried to tell him how it was. i said we don't care about your stupid territory shit. we got bigger problems. and he was like, what could be more important than me? and than he realized she was dying and he was like oh shit. and he left her alone. about a year after she died he showed up again.

also, he used to get in fight with a female down the street. i saw one day she was actually trying to catch a butterfly, pretty cute. and he moved in stalking her and she was like uh oh, and retreated to a defensive spot. i gave him shit about it. and then one day they showed up together at my house. she keeps her distance from me as he put rules on her, but they don't fight anymore. actually she was pretty curious about me after.

it's great being an insider in the animal world.

people that have dogs want backup. and people that have cats want independence. both people and animal together are impressive in their respective way. it amazes me that it took less than 60,000 years for this relationship to develop. how accustomed they are to the human world. it's almost magical.

active X switching is also why on average women have a higher IQ than we do. but most of the people with the highest IQ's are men. as a result of not having an extra X chromosome and the Y chromosome is smaller, when things work right for us you get Einstein. so you are more likely to get a man that is either brilliant or below average. while most women will be at least average because they can repair or compensate for any defects in their X while we cannot.

and that's the story of women and men. the bonus edition.

btw my avatar is a 4 dimensional cat. it was from a science article about something..i don't know.and the cosmic dance continues.

Quote Originally Posted by nullnor View Post
    she's titling her head for the picture. that show's she is right there.

also, did you know all calico cats are female. the colors are on the X chromosome. i think it also involves active X switching too. like you need to have 2 X chromosomes to have it. so when someone says i have a calico cat and it's a female, they don't know all calico's are female. what is a calico anyways, is it 3 colors? very rarely a male can do it. and i guess they are worth a lot of money due to it's rareness.

active X switching is where something on the X chromosome that a female usually uses gets defective, and she digs into her reserve or extra X chromosome and uses that part for it instead. this is why women aren't as prone to color blindness as much as men. among other things. they even say they can see different shades of colors more than men. for example, we'll put on a pair of socks that we think match, but to a women active X switching, she'll see the slightest difference in color and think we put on socks that don't match.
    This applies to tourtoiseshell as well.

The CFA now recognizes tourtoiseshell as a distinct breed for purposes of their shows.

BTW Her name is Maribel. It's a word play on her marble-like coat. The calico is Betty White(tail). If you saw 102 Dalmations, Betty is the opposite of Dipstick.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

haven't seen Teenwolf in a little while after this thread. i worry that i caused some sense of nihilism when i talked about how we all eat each other.

he's right when it comes to eating meat. and i salute him. i was a vegetarian for many years, but this shit is complicated. from eating meat, to using products with oil, AND DON'T FUCKING KID YOURSELVES ABOUT PALM OIL. don't make me post a video of an orangutan that just had his whole forest destroyed and climbed the last lonely tree standing, only to be talked down by wildlife rescuers like at the fucking end of the movie Rambo.

i have my own problems, you know. but it is true, yes. everything has a life that is important to them.