No announcement yet.

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if both major candidates are in their 70s....... c'mon, man.

Come mothers and fathers
    Throughout the land
    And don't criticize
    What you can't understand
    Your sons and your daughters
    Are beyond your command
    Your old road is
    Rapidly agin'.
    Please get out of the new one
    If you can't lend your hand
    For the times they are a-changin'.

[guy who wrote that also is in his 70s - but he wrote it in 1963]
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• I wonder if the "1 term only" idea would help Bernie more as it would show he isn't in it for personal gratification, or would it hurt him more for generally exposing his age as a weakness? It's not like folks dont know how old he is. I take solace in his background as a long distance runner that his health will hold up. I think all of the cheeseberders are clearly affecting Trump's mental acuity.

Next step down the rabbit hole, if Bernie announced 1 term only, would that make AOC more likely to support Bernie? I think if progressives viewed Bernie as a 4 year pathway to AOC in 2024, they would support him even more so.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Except now he's the Democratic frontrunner leading the horrible president by double digits.

Latest Poll: Massachusetts. No biggie here, Clinton won by 28% in 2016:

Code:
        Massachusetts Democratic Presidential Primary	Emerson	Biden 23, Sanders 26, Warren 14, Buttigieg 11, O'Rourke 8, Harris 7, Booker 2, Klobuchar 2, Yang 1, Castro 1, Gabbard 1, Delaney 1	Sanders +3
        Massachusetts: Trump vs. Biden	Emerson	Biden 69, Trump 31	Biden +38
        Massachusetts: Trump vs. Sanders	Emerson	Sanders 64, Trump 36	Sanders +28
        Massachusetts: Trump vs. Warren	Emerson	Warren 63, Trump 37	Warren +26
        Some points of interest about this Mass poll. Judge Jude is correct, Elizabeth Warren is toast. As much as it will be good to have her in the debates, people don't trust her against Trump. That 14% will largely shift to Bernie, so he's in great shape vs Biden.

Another note, as per Buttigieg's bump to 4th at 11%. I was worried that Buttigieg would cut into the millenial vote share with his phony progressive shtick, but his bump is from more older voters than young. Biden leads 65+ voters with 33% of the vote, with Buttigieg 2nd at 16% edging Sanders' 14%.

Mayor Pete is going all out on the personal stories and identity politics, and general feel-good statements over policy and substance, which younger voters in this poll are mostly seeing through. I'm pleased to see how savvy the young voters are.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

. GITH got so frantic he left.
          I didn't leave because I got Bernified/Frantic.

I left because my fellow supposed progressives refused to acknowledge that the moral high ground for supporting Hillary was as low as supporting Trump. She Cheated, never admitted it, just like Trump lies daily, she was ethically lesser and those who supported her (and still do) are as bad as those who support this jackass.

This makes me a pariah.

I left in one regard because Jason runs this site and he's shown though my experience to pander to the crowd rather than take the time to find what the real issue is and deal with that, He's a great guy to have a beer with, but shit at moderating anything.
          You know I run up against :Lucky, Ken and others. I may or may not have valid reasons for these conflicts, I can only say, there's more to every story and those who've shown you care to look , I have appreciated your reaching out.

And no, Ken's "Brian Quit Our League Too" has more to it than he'd care to share (yeah Byron's a pussy) But I digress

Yeah a simplistic explanation of why I left a community I helped build, is easy Not as easy as a Trump Tweet, but far easier than a OneJay defense of that same tweet.

I left Because there's NO Moderation, people are allowed to say whatever they want without recompense.

That may cool with everyone else here, but it's not for me, so Building on the What is happiness thread.

I am happy, great life, great job, Great family. I Lurk here for the baseball help because most of you (including Ken) are much better at it than I.

I'm not Frantic, I am supportive of any progressive, but anyone who's into incremental change has financial security and I an NOT with you. I am with those who have nothing or less to nothing and are asking YOU t0o give them some of your stuff or at least allocate what you give to the Govt to help them, Biden won't do it. Obama Didn't do it.

Change-----------Real Change and not just this asshole who is all about making money for people.

It's hilarious that folks are concentrating on Trump saying Windmill noise causes cancer when the REAL fucking Meme was--If you live by one of these things your PROPERTY VALUE WILL G DOWN BY 75%

He's ll about making rich people richer.

If you can all get past FUCKING MONEY.

You just might start to get it.

PS Padres win the WC This year Bitches
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            if both major candidates are in their 70s....... c'mon, man.

Come mothers and fathers
            Throughout the land
            And don't criticize
            What you can't understand
            Your sons and your daughters
            Are beyond your command
            Your old road is
            Rapidly agin'.
            Please get out of the new one
            If you can't lend your hand
            For the times they are a-changin'.

[guy who wrote that also is in his 70s - but he wrote it in 1963]
            and the incumbent is in his 70s....so what's your point?

Comment

and the incumbent is in his 70s....so what's your point?
              if you can't figure it out from the lyrics in my post, no amount of further explanation is going to sink in.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• I thought this was interesting from the Washington Post:

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• One of Trump's strengths, though Ed will have a paroxysm for anyone saying it. Trump does double-digit positive on economic issues. I wonder where they all rate on that issue.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    One of Trump's strengths, though Ed will have a paroxysm for anyone saying it. Trump does double-digit positive on economic issues. I wonder where they all rate on that issue.

J
                    Is economic inequality not an economic issue?
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

My most important issue? Beating Trump. I honestly could not care less about anything else they want to discuss. I want the candidate most likely to beat Trump to get the nod. And at this time, that’s not Bernie, sorry. But if he does get the nod, I’ll tell you right now I’d vote for him 100%.
                      me too
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• KS, that is an interesting graphic. I like Hickenlooper's top two as a focus. Climate exchange and health care should both be the top issues all candidates need to address.

ETA: I doubt Inslee can make the cut, which is a shame, because I would like to see a candidate so focused on climate change as to force that conversation from the other candidates.
                        Last edited by Sour Masher; 04-08-2019, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          Is economic inequality not an economic issue?
                          No, it isn't. That may be wrong, but it's life as we live it.

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          KS, that is an interesting graphic. I like Hickenlooper's top two as a focus. Climate exchange and health care should both be the top issues all candidates need to address.

ETA: I doubt Inslee can make the cut, which is a shame, because I would like to see a candidate so focused on climate change as to force that conversation from the other candidates.
                          I think you mean climate change not exchange. Trump's answer is not-a-dime-if-I-have-anything-to-say. He has made serious inroads in defunding everything in EPA and much of NASA that was devoted to climate change. It's something that plays well with the Limbaugh/Hannity crowd.

Health care is another subject. Trump is shrewdly saying that he wants to reserve it for his second term. This assumes a working majority in both House and Senate. It allows him to focus on strong employment numbers and improving wages.

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                          me too
                          Then you need to keep looking. None of these is up to it.

J
                          Last edited by onejayhawk; 04-08-2019, 11:49 PM.
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Initially looking good for Biden surviving:
                            WASHINGTON – Former Vice President Joe Biden isn’t getting a thumbs down yet from female Democratic primary voters for his being-too-handsy scandal. Numbers from a new Morning Consult poll sh…

Comment

• There is an interesting article on the Democratic field of candidates. The candidate's prospects are treated as a stock, with a buy/sell/hold rating. Biden was upgraded from a strong sell to a sell.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• For some reason I looked at CNN.com today. This was the top "story"

Bernie Sanders is (finally) going to release his tax returns. But questions over how he handles his wealth in the context of his campaign for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination remain. And the early returns should be concerning to Sanders’ backers.

Bernie Sanders is (finally) going to release his tax returns. But questions over how he handles his wealth in the context of his campaign for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination remain. And the early returns should be concerning to Sanders' backers.
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X